Connect computer DVD to in room TV

dockman

Which ship?

Even if there is a USB port, you will still need to be able to change the TV's input source somehow.

We will be on the Golden. If there is a USB port there should be a source control on the monitor/tv somewhere. Just saying I'm gonna try. I don't want to add HDMI/DVI cables to my kit. Otherwise just using the tablet will be fine.

• 1 year later...
We will be on the Golden. If there is a USB port there should be a source control on the monitor/tv somewhere. Just saying I'm gonna try. I don't want to add HDMI/DVI cables to my kit. Otherwise just using the tablet will be fine.

Hi Chewy. Excuse me resurrecting an old thread, but I see you are online as i speak. Could I ask what you found on Golden. We are on her for 49 days in a mini suite and a LOT of sea days. capacity to watch series I actually like would be a great benefit. Thank you.

Has anybody tried using a Roku to cast content from your device?

I've done something similar (and no you don't need Internet, assuming by "from your device" you mean the media is stored on it).

I bought a RAVPower travel router/hub and added a 128GB MicroSD card to it, which I loaded with content beforehand. I was able to use a FireTV stick (with a program called Kodi installed) to playback my media from the hub using a local wifi network. (Took a little more set up while still on land, but worked perfectly once aboard.)

I've done something similar (and no you don't need Internet, assuming by "from your device" you mean the media is stored on it).

I bought a RAVPower travel router/hub and added a 128GB MicroSD card to it, which I loaded with content beforehand. I was able to use a FireTV stick (with a program called Kodi installed) to playback my media from the hub using a local wifi network. (Took a little more set up while still on land, but worked perfectly once aboard.)

Looks like a neat unit. I have a WD-TV which works similarly. NO network required either.

What types of files will it play? AVI, MP4, etc.

I'm mostly interested in .ifo files.

Just off the Royal

They have flush wall mounted Flat screen TV - no way to connect a hard wire to it

You can connect to it by removing their HDMI input & substituting your own cable. No changing of input required.

It does take some doing but it's possible in most rooms although I've had some sets where it's almost impossible to reach.

DSC00053_zpsb2q4l9gj.jpg

DSC00055_zpsnyqv3nbt.jpg

You can connect to it by removing their HDMI input & substituting your own cable. No changing of input required.

It does take some doing but it's possible in most rooms although I've had some sets where it's almost impossible to reach.

DSC00053_zpsb2q4l9gj.jpg

DSC00055_zpsnyqv3nbt.jpg

Eek, there's a [emoji887] spider on your wall!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

FYI - If your cell phone has a built in Infrared blaster you can download a universal remote app on your phone and use that instead of bringing a physical universal remote. I have a samsung galaxy s5 and use the "peel smart remote" app.

FYI - If your cell phone has a built in Infrared blaster you can download a universal remote app on your phone and use that instead of bringing a physical universal remote. I have a samsung galaxy s5 and use the "peel smart remote" app.

That's interesting, Off to find out if IPhones have them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If anyone needs to buy an HDMI cable, please do not go to the big box stores like Best Buy or even Wally World. Monoprice.com is your friend. Even with a shipping charge you can get a cable for a tiny portion of what you'd pay at these stores. Good quality too.

As a geek I can tell you that the cheap Amazon Basic HDMI cable puts out the same signal as the $300 super doo dah wow wow cable that the high end store will sell you. It is a digital signal. Put the cable on a scope and look at it. The same freaking output. I'm always amazed that people buy those super expensive cables. I guess PT Barnum had it right: There's a sucker born every minute.

Except that on the Royal & Regal there's no changing the input of the HDMI input since the only one I've found that's connected is the one they use.

On all the other ships the input can be changes using their remote.

:D thanks! this looks like something we could try. and yes, we planned to load content before we left home. this is good advice!

• 11 months later...

DSC00053_zpsb2q4l9gj.jpg

DSC00055_zpsnyqv3nbt.jpg

WoW!! Thanks sooo much, floridalover5623, for posting these VERY informative pics!! k020.gif

Except that on the Royal & Regal there's no changing the input of the HDMI input since the only one I've found that's connected is the one they use.

Not many current phones have IR blasters.

On Royal, we had both remotes. The limited princess remote, as well as the viewsonic.

As floridalover mentioned, no point in blasting at anything when princess has locked-down the input in the tv's firmware.

39676455052_55df9ff373_b.jpg

A few years ago, there was a rather funny -- or really sad series of posts here.

Some poster asks about tv inputs on some ship.

A gracious poster went on the ship, posted pictures, the tv model number, and a link the the tv manual.

He explained how there was no digital inputs, only analog, all of which could be seen in the pictures and manual.

He really worked hard, and did a very nice job at explaining the situation.

Next post: "I always bring an HDMI cable for best quality."

Why even bother...?

[Management summary: poster had explained in detail, why an HDMI cable would be useless]

• 4 weeks later...

This page might provide some tips on disabling 'Hospitality Mode".

https://electronicshelponline.blogspot.com/2014/11/viewsonic-n2752w-how-to-enter-service.html

Thank you for your helpful reply. Why people even bother to respond when they have nothing helpful to add has always been a mystery to me. If i want to watch a few DVD's in my room I hardly think that is going to bother anyone else.

I agree(y) (y)

We also go on a cruise to relax and enjoy what we don't do home, but to go on a cruise and take cables and converters and extra stuff we rather stay home and watch dvd's etc and at the same time we save the money of the cruise fare.

Let us see . One tablet or laptop that I would have anyway and a $10.00 cable to connect to the TV/monitor so I can review pictures/video taken that day or watch movies when there is nothing I want to do on the ship. So how much money did that save you by staying at home instead of going out into the world? There are many ways to relax.

This page might provide some tips on disabling 'Hospitality Mode".

https://electronicshelponline.blogspot.com/2014/11/viewsonic-n2752w-how-to-enter-service.html

Interesting.

I was talking to a crew member who found out the bypass code & opened his cabin TV HDMI input to view his movies.

It was OK for a while & he then got a call from security about it. They seem to know a lot more then I suspect about what the TV's are tuned to.

All that is too much like work a few years back bought a AAXA LED Pico Micro Video Projector for under 90.00 and no need for anything else compact and light all you need is a thumb drive puts out a 60 inch picture if you want usb chargeable We have taken out on deck and had a crowd watching . Smaller and lighter that a dvd player