Most Unhappy Crew is on Norwegian...

I really felt badly for the crew members on the Gem who had to deal with the large number of unruly children and their parents, on that cruise about two years ago. Many passengers were also affected by those people.

The kids ran amok and some did damage to the ship. I'm sure that it took a while for those who had to clean up after them to recover.

it seems like, too often Guest services is the one place smiles are not encouraged. And that goes for most cruise lines. Of course they are also the ones who listen to the most complaints I am sure.

There are a couple of schools of thought on this. A friendly smile can be mistaken for a cavalier attitude or amusement at the complainer's situation. A lot of top customer service positions, where there is no one else above them, are trained to be somber and serious.

I guess before we complain maybe we should try working for a few dollars an hour, 7 days a week for up to 6 months without a day off. When we have completed those 6 months and we were able to be happy and vibrant for everyone of those 180 days....then we can complain.

LOL, they aren't slaves.. no one put a gun to their head and forced them to work on a cruise ship. They all knew what they were getting into when they DECIDED to work on a ship.

LOL, they aren't slaves.. no one put a gun to their head and forced them to work on a cruise ship. They all knew what they were getting into when they DECIDED to work on a ship.

you got that and if passengers take time to talk with the crew they will learn, most of the crew have been on NCL or whatever line for many years: I feel they work hard, are generally very pleasant, do put in long hours, but I can't say I feel sorry for them. If they were really unhappy they would not spend so many years with the company.

you got that and if passengers take time to talk with the crew they will learn, most of the crew have been on NCL or whatever line for many years: I feel they work hard, are generally very pleasant, do put in long hours, but I can't say I feel sorry for them. If they were really unhappy they would not spend so many years with the company.

Agree 100% My thoughts exactly.

That was true in the past.

Sorry to say tho NCL's expansion with just the last 4 ships added more than 7000 new crew members.

I'd guess 1/3 of NCL staff has under 5 years with the company.

To those of you who feel the crew are being exploited and treated like slaves, how can you continue to cruise? From a moral and ethical standpoint don't you feel you are contributing to their mistreatment for personal financial gain ... a cheaper cruise price?

The reason I researched how the crew is treated, the pay they receive, and the conditions in their home countries was so that I could decide if I could, in good conscience, continue to cruise. If I thought they were mistreated or exploited I would not want to be a party to that.

That was true in the past.

Sorry to say tho NCL's expansion with just the last 4 ships added more than 7000 new crew members.

I'd guess 1/3 of NCL staff has under 5 years with the company.

Well I am not going to guess, cause there is no way any of us can know this; I do know, it is rare I have met a crew member with les than 5 years with the company or with cruising period. All companies have some turn over. Is the service as good as it was 20 years ago? No, nor is service with anyplace as good as in the past; times change and we have to adjust. I will take the service overall on a cruise ship over service almost anywhere.

I experienced the same indifference and disengagement on my January Dawn cruise. I even made out a comment card to that effect saying that the "happy" was gone.

In the past, I have always enjoyed getting to know the crew and hearing about their families and home country. It is hard to do that when they are 'distant' and 'unavailable'. I still showed monetary appreciation to those who served me well, but spent less on tips than I ever have before.

I am hoping this experience is not a trend. At work I am asked to do more and more every day in the same amount of time with the same number of staff. I work very long hard hours, and do my best to encourage my staff and be positive. I go on vacation to relax and get away from stress. I am hoping that upper management is not encouraging the direct contact staff to be more 'professional and invisible'. I like 'happy and engaged' much more!

I experienced the same indifference and disengagement on my January Dawn cruise. I even made out a comment card to that effect saying that the "happy" was gone.

In the past' date=' I have always enjoyed getting to know the crew and hearing about their families and home country. It is hard to do that when they are 'distant' and 'unavailable'. I still showed monetary appreciation to those who served me well, but spent less on tips than I ever have before. [/size']

I am hoping this experience is not a trend. At work I am asked to do more and more every day in the same amount of time with the same number of staff. I work very long hard hours, and do my best to encourage my staff and be positive. I go on vacation to relax and get away from stress. I am hoping that upper management is not encouraging the direct contact staff to be more 'professional and invisible'. I like 'happy and engaged' much more!

maybe I am just obliveous to what is happening, but, for the most part we have not noticed a huge difference. Yes, as I have said, this isn't the cruising on 20 or so years ago, but I certainly don't find the crew stand offish at all. They all seem to be willing to talk about home. You have to approached them like you are really interested and yes they are worked harder than way back when. This is just part of the changes we see in life.

so sorry to hear of your moms death, yes that may have played a part and realizing right after spring break can be a tough time for vacations is a positive move. I am sure that had something to do with the staff attitude.

I will add though, you probably opened up some of the negative responses by the title of your thread.

You are right, no one should tell someone else to grow up. Of course that was the same person who made the comment about my being a white privileged person. Take comments with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the kind words. My very specific meaning with the the title of the thread was: "the most unhappy crew I have ever experienced in 24 cruises was on Norwegian Jewel." I don't know why that would invite especially negative responses. And in fact, most of the responses to this thread have been value neutral (i.e. yep, I've experienced that, or nope, never experienced that.) That's what I typically expect.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

On a personal level, my mom died in March. We just had her funeral yesterday. In the interim, I've been dealing with all the things one does after a death, and this cruise, which was a year in the making, was my one week of respite from settling my mom's affairs.

Sorry about your mom. I'm sure a few caring words and some smiles would have gone a long way for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just came home from a Mexican Riviera cruise ( 23 April -30). This was my 5th cruise on The Jewel and my 35th Norwegian. Hands down this was the best cruise I have EVER had. Staff was terrific from Captain Pelle, bar staff, wait staff, housekeeping and the Security Guards from Nepal. I can not wait to return in September.

On a personal level, my mom died in March. We just had her funeral yesterday.

Sorry to hear about your Mom John, our condolences.

We returned to be Epic last month (where we met you) and the service was just as good as the other 5 times I've been on but they too were shattered. They'd come off the transatlantic where most things were open non stop. Then they had 4100 passengers as it was Easter and we missed a port for bad weather so it too had 6 sea days. They kept smiling but they were closing bars earlier than planned to get sleep. Extra staff from other places or off duty were brought in to give the regular staff breaks but they were tired and ready for the normal 7 day itinerary.

Our best wishes x

I just came home from a Mexican Riviera cruise ( 23 April -30). This was my 5th cruise on The Jewel and my 35th Norwegian. Hands down this was the best cruise I have EVER had. Staff was terrific from Captain Pelle, bar staff, wait staff, housekeeping and the Security Guards from Nepal. I can not wait to return in September.

Glad to hear it. As I keep saying, the only reason I started the thread was because I felt that the friendliness of the crew on my sailing was exceptionally unfriendly. Who knows how these things happen?

And thanks for all the kind words everybody. I only brought up my mom just because you never know what passengers are dealing with, either. I guess mixing a slightly needy passenger with a relatively indifferent crew just makes for a less-than-ideal scenario. Alas, it sounds like it happens sometimes. But my next cruise is weekend after next, I'm sure I'll have an awesome time. :)

Very sorry to hear about your Mother. You have my prayers.

An elderly gentleman died on my cruise.

A Senior Officer who has served on The Jewel has Stage 4 Cancer- might explain why staff was down on your cruise. I think the announcement to Jewel staff was made on your cruise.

No matter who you are or where you are in the world very sad things happen.

OP: The Norwegian Jewel is the ship I've sailed the most on. She was once a happy ship. She was the happiest when I sailed here frequently back around 2010 when John O'Hara was the Hotel Director. How happy a ship is, I've come to know through 40 cruises, relies on the senior management onboard. Since most of the crew report to the Hotel Director, if he/she is no good, then the ship will have an unhappy crew.

The crew welfare office is also responsible for keeping the crew spirits up on the ship. It seems like that may have been lacking as well on your voyage. I sail frequently alone and have done so three times on the Jewel. When I did so I did have the crew talk to me a bit more. I don't know if they felt bad or what not. However, those crew members - all of them in fact - were either canned by NCL for stupid reasons (NCL didn't want to pay their higher salaries so they brought in newer cheaper crew) or they QUIT because NCL was increasing demands without increasing wages (yet the DSC keeps going up... FDR's pay check??). NCL has increasingly caused their own problems as of late. They did a mass purge of their older, seasoned crew for new people and then launched a ton of new ships which required even more new crew to come in.

My last NCL cruise was on the Breakaway out of NYC. It was one of the ships assigned to train a large amount of Chinese crew for the Joy. The service was slow. You had to go out of your way to find good service and when you did you re-visited that person. Two crew members who were on the Jewel were on the ship. I sought them out, walking half-way through the ship or up several flights of stairs to get the good service I have come to expect from NCL and from them. The Breakaway really left a bad taste in my mouth and while FDR in corporate has made poor decisions impacting the crew... when I go on vacation I like to be cheery... not around miserable crew. It's really sad to see the Jewel had that going on. Hopefully your next voyage will be better.

Jewel.

I just returned from a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise (April 16-23), and aside from a couple of Vacation Hero exceptions, most of the crew were very cold, unsmiling but very efficient. There were very few hellos or thank yous, or how was your days, and very much avoidance of eye-contact and curt exchanges. This extended from my cabin steward to bar servers, MDR hostesses, most wait staff, and most of the shore excursion team.

I comment because this was my 15th NCL cruise, and I was really surprised and bummed out by how generally unfriendly the crew was, especially in contrast with all of my previous NCL cruises. Since I mostly sail solo, I have always enjoyed feeling like I was never alone on NCL because its crews have always been so friendly and outgoing, but not this cruise. I hope this was just a one-of-a-kind exception and not a trend.

I still had a very nice time. Excellent production shows; the spa was super and not crowded at all; great food; fastest-ever embarkation and disembarkation; no wait for anything ever except in the Sky High Bar, so that efficiency did have its positives. But if this was my first NCL cruise, I don't know if I would have booked another.

Is it just Jewel? Was it just that cruise? Are there too many staff cutbacks and remaining staff are being asked to do too much? What do you think?

I was on this cruise with you, with my family of 6. I completely agree with you. The crew was the most unhappy I have ever experienced on any cruise line. 2 of my kids who were with us, (adults) have never cruised before & it left a not so good taste in their mouths. I am not sure what was wrong.. I cannot explain it, but some were even down right rude. Our room steward was amazing, but rarely smiled. Very disappointing. The Sky high Bar staff were the ones who were very rude. I am guessing they were very overwhelmed. However, the eye rolling and the snapping is always uncalled for. :(

I am very glad to hear that some people didn't experience the same unpleasantness that we did.

I was on this cruise with you, with my family of 6. I completely agree with you. The crew was the most unhappy I have ever experienced on any cruise line. 2 of my kids who were with us, (adults) have never cruised before & it left a not so good taste in their mouths. I am not sure what was wrong.. I cannot explain it, but some were even down right rude. Our room steward was amazing, but rarely smiled. Very disappointing. The Sky high Bar staff were the ones who were very rude. I am guessing they were very overwhelmed. However, the eye rolling and the snapping is always uncalled for. :(

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your post! The service really was that bad, but if you're the only one who thinks it, there's a temptation to think it's just you. And I'm glad you mentioned the guys in Sky High Bar, because they were by far they worst. We had to line up most of the time, and then if someone they liked walked up, they would help that person instead of taking someone from the line. It was the worst customer service situation I've experienced in 24 cruises. It's nice to know I wasn't just imagining it.

I think it comes down to how much interaction you have with the crew on a particular cruise that even allows you to notice their attitude

For me....if I have 2 drinks a cruise it's a lot so I rarely even notice the bartender

We always eat around 6 or 6:30 in the mdr because we've had it with specialties and their menus are just not what they used to be...but I digress....so we usually are seated within 5/10 minutes in the mdr

I try to stay out of the stewards way because I really just want a clean cabin and towels. I don't need a cooler full of ice nor do I need the mini bar cleared out. I don't recall the last time I asked a steward for anything

I have no clue where or what the sky high bar is except for what's obvious by its name but I guess it's very crowded and perhaps a late night venue?

Is smoking allowed? Is it outdoors?

The answers to those questions could account for the lines and crowds and bartender attitude ...as in...lack of cash tips

Anyway the crew could be snarling fire at me and I wouldn't care or even notice because I rarely have need to deal with them. They can say hello to me or not as it doesn't bother me

Now as far as guest services is concerned...I say it's 70/30 in favor of nasty ....but I prepare for that and have actually been pleasantly surprised at times. Lol

Working with the public can most always be a daunting task. It's exhausting and dealing with one unhappy customer can just ruin your entire day. I'm not making excuses for anyone but everyone has a bad day/week. It sounds as if there are some internal issues going on that are making the crew unhappy. Sometimes it's hard to fake your happy when your not-even of you are getting paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the kind words. My very specific meaning with the the title of the thread was: "the most unhappy crew I have ever experienced in 24 cruises was on Norwegian Jewel." I don't know why that would invite especially negative responses. And in fact, most of the responses to this thread have been value neutral (i.e. yep, I've experienced that, or nope, never experienced that.) That's what I typically expect.

understand what you are saying and yes, we have had a couple of cruises, not only on NCL where service seems to be lacking or certainly a good attitude. I do think a lot has to do with how we preceive things. If you want to see a crabby crew, go on a cruise that has been hit by the noro virus!!