Not allowed to disembark a port early

Longstockingpippi1

I'm so glad I pursued what I thought would be any easy "yes" to my request to disembark early. Instead I received a message from NCL that I cannot disembark early and it has been noted on my reservation.

I was hoping to disembark in Naples see Pompeii and spend the night in Positano. Versus getting back on the ship in Naples only to cruise a few hours up the coast to Rome. Lesson learned folks, don't assume!!

How can they actually stop you from doing this if you want to? You get off the ship and just don't return.

She would have to pack and then take her luggage off the boat with her. As it has been noted on her booking then the staff would be checking that she didn't try it, she would have to swipe out and it could be flagged.

Then all they have to do is to inform the port authorities that she is intending to enter the country illegally and she would be in trouble; possibly not only with the Italian Authorities but also those of all the Schengen countries and even her own country.

Incorrect.

I did it on MSC, disembarking in Venice instead of sailing 21 hours overnight/next day to Bari. I simply went to my room, packed my things, stopped at Guest Services and asked to settle my bill as I was departing. It took about an hour to do so and some paperwork to sign.

Incorrect.

I did it on MSC, disembarking in Venice instead of sailing 21 hours overnight/next day to Bari. I simply went to my room, packed my things, stopped at Guest Services and asked to settle my bill as I was departing. It took about an hour to do so and some paperwork to sign.

Incorrect??? I submitted a written request fully expecting a "yes" answer. This afternoon I received a message on my answering machine clearly stating a "no" answer. Since it is noted on my room reservation. I will not be leaving early and facing whatever consequences there are, it's not that important to me. I just wanted to share this for others...

When I get on the ship I will be stopping by guest services to find out why I was denied. But I'm not gonna make a fuss about it.

We'll be traveling for 9 days, so a little bigger than a backpack....lol. I'm glad I didn't commit to anything in Positano so no money lost.

Yes, "gonna need a bigger boat". (Suitcase) :D Sounds like an amazing vacation. Hope you have a great trip.

Incorrect???

Yes.

You see, posters here on Cruise Critic often substitute their own anecdotal experiences for facts.

As in: A poster on a different cruise line, in a different port, possibly from a different country was able to depart the ship whenever they wanted so you are incorrect. See the logic?

You'll get used to it.

I'm pretty sure if you miss the ship the contents of safe are left with port authority. Im planning a pretty long day in Bergen diy and if we missed the train will need to catch up to the ship the following day. I plan on taking necessary travel documents with us just in case and not leaving anything in the safe because that may be a hassle getting back from port authority prior to travel to catch up with the ship.

One of the things I love best about cruises in foreign lands is no language barrier once I walk back onboard, welcoming staff, my nice clean bed and a sense of comfort knowing for the remainder of the day I don't have to think much about what I'm doing. Almost feels like geez I was in Venice or wherever all day but jumped back on the ship and felt like I was back in America for the night. Have a great vacation.

I'm so glad I pursued what I thought would be any easy "yes" to my request to disembark early. Instead I received a message from NCL that I cannot disembark early and it has been noted on my reservation.

I was hoping to disembark in Naples see Pompeii and spend the night in Positano. Versus getting back on the ship in Naples only to cruise a few hours up the coast to Rome. Lesson learned folks, don't assume!!

Sorry your request was denied. I've done this before, but not in Italy and would have contacted them ahead of time as you did. But, I'd want to understand the reason. Sometimes requests seem to be denied for no logical reason. If it's important to you (though from your later post it sounds like it may not be) you coud call and see if you could at least learn the reason. I debarked in Brussels on day 11 of a 12-day cruise, but I had to get permission in advance since they had our passports!

Sorry your request was denied. I've done this before, but not in Italy and would have contacted them ahead of time as you did. But, I'd want to understand the reason. Sometimes requests seem to be denied for no logical reason. If it's important to you (though from your later post it sounds like it may not be) you coud call and see if you could at least learn the reason. I debarked in Brussels on day 11 of a 12-day cruise, but I had to get permission in advance since they had our passports!

Yes when I get onboard I will stop by and ask, because I am curious of the reason. But the woman on the phone yesterday left no number or her name so reaching her is out of the question.

The problem most likely pertains to the EU's cabotage laws, similar to the US's PVSA. Unlike the PVSA, which limits "coastwise" transportation of passengers from one US port to another to US flag vessels, the EU limits these to any EU member nation's flag vessels. My question to the OP is this: what is the port before Naples? I see on NCL's cruises that it could be Barcelona or Messina. If it is Barcelona, you would be fine, as the last leg would be between Spain and Italy, so a Bahamian flag vessel could do this. If it is Messina, that would be two Italian ports in a row (Messina and Naples) without a non-Italian port in between, and therefore only a ship flagged in the EU could do this, even though your cruise started in Rome. I believe the previous poster who got off early on an MSC cruise did so because Venice was preceded by a non-Italian port, which would be legal.

It could also be that NCL does not wish to pay to have Customs and Immigration standing by to clear two passengers off the ship, which is different from clearing the ship for a daytime port call.

The problem most likely pertains to the EU's cabotage laws, similar to the US's PVSA.
If it's similar to the PVSA, then it seems like any journey from Rome to Naples should be a problem, for a non-EU-flagged ship. So even if we're talking about the Epic's 2017 Western Med itinerary (Civitavecchia-Livorno-Cannes-Palma-Barcelona-Naples-Civitavecchia), a passenger should not be allowed to disembark early in Naples. Why do you say that it's the last leg that determines the legality of the whole journey?

If it's similar to the PVSA, then it seems like any journey from Rome to Naples should be a problem, for a non-EU-flagged ship. So even if we're talking about the Epic's 2017 Western Med itinerary (Civitavecchia-Livorno-Cannes-Palma-Barcelona-Naples-Civitavecchia), a passenger should not be allowed to disembark early in Naples. Why do you say that it's the last leg that determines the legality of the whole journey?

The major difference is that while the EU law opens Italian cabotage to all EU member nations, each EU member nation still has their own internal cabotage laws, in particular with regards to "island cabotage", meaning service between islands of the nation and the mainland of the nation, in this case Sardinia or Sicily. I'm not an expert on the European cabotage, and specifically Italian law (is that an oxymoron?), so there may be significant restrictions even on EU flag ships to provide services between these islands and the mainland. I have found reference to a law case where a cruise by a non-EU flag ship departed Venice, went up the Po River, and returned to Venice, and was considered to fall within the cabotage laws (i.e. limited to EU flag vessels).

My interpretation of the cabotage laws may be incorrect, but given the common ability to leave cruises early in Europe, and the inability to do so where there are two consecutive ports in the same country (in this case) leads me to my conclusion.

The major difference is that while the EU law opens Italian cabotage to all EU member nations, each EU member nation still has their own internal cabotage laws, in particular with regards to "island cabotage", meaning service between islands of the nation and the mainland of the nation, in this case Sardinia or Sicily. I'm not an expert on the European cabotage, and specifically Italian law (is that an oxymoron?), so there may be significant restrictions even on EU flag ships to provide services between these islands and the mainland. I have found reference to a law case where a cruise by a non-EU flag ship departed Venice, went up the Po River, and returned to Venice, and was considered to fall within the cabotage laws (i.e. limited to EU flag vessels).

My interpretation of the cabotage laws may be incorrect, but given the common ability to leave cruises early in Europe, and the inability to do so where there are two consecutive ports in the same country (in this case) leads me to my conclusion.

Your interpretation is logical, and given the OP's denial I assume would be the case.

Thank you for your well explained analysis on this and other technical discussions. It's a breath of fresh air on these boards.

I don't think there are two consecutive Italian ports in this case. From the OP's other posts, she is booked on the Epic 3-day Barcelona-Naples-Rome. So there shouldn't be any cabotage issues. I think they just don't want the hassle of disembarking passengers in Naples.

I don't think there are two consecutive Italian ports in this case. From the OP's other posts, she is booked on the Epic 3-day Barcelona-Naples-Rome. So there shouldn't be any cabotage issues. I think they just don't want the hassle of disembarking passengers in Naples.

If that is the case, you're probably right, and the Italians would want a fortune for their Customs workers. I saw the Epic cruises that went Barcelona, Naples, Rome, and also the ones that went Sardinia, Messina, Naples, Rome, and Malta, Messina, Naples, Rome, which is why I asked the question in my first post as to what the port previous to Naples was.

Hi! Me again. Yes my son and I are taking a short cruise from Barcelona to Rome on April 23rd with the port call in Naples. The ideal of bailing out in Naples came to me as I struggled with the choice of Amalfi/ Pompeii. To end that indecision I thought 'Why not just get off in Naples, do both and head to Rome later' .

Lucky me will be on the Pearl this Friday with my daughter, so I will stop by guest services then.

If it were me, I would try tracking down how the decision was made from the shore side staff. I don't know who to call but someone here will come up with a phone number/email. If you let this go to customer service on the ship, it may be too late. Many times customer service on the ship have to refer to Miami staff. If that happens, your port will be long in the past by the time you hear anything!

If it were me, I would try tracking down how the decision was made from the shore side staff. I don't know who to call but someone here will come up with a phone number/email. If you let this go to customer service on the ship, it may be too late. Many times customer service on the ship have to refer to Miami staff. If that happens, your port will be long in the past by the time you hear anything!

Thank you pizza lady. If it were for an important reason I would pursue the request. Since that is not the case (just me undecided over Naples excursions) I'm not gonna pursue it like that. They don't owe me anything, I did commit to a 3 day cruise.

I really just wanted to share the experience so others that follow will know that disembarking early is not a given right. I'm grateful I didn't make any costly commitments, so easy come -easy go.

I'm pretty sure if you miss the ship the contents of safe are left with port authority. Im planning a pretty long day in Bergen diy and if we missed the train will need to catch up to the ship the following day. I plan on taking necessary travel documents with us just in case and not leaving anything in the safe because that may be a hassle getting back from port authority prior to travel to catch up with the ship.

One of the things I love best about cruises in foreign lands is no language barrier once I walk back onboard, welcoming staff, my nice clean bed and a sense of comfort knowing for the remainder of the day I don't have to think much about what I'm doing. Almost feels like geez I was in Venice or wherever all day but jumped back on the ship and felt like I was back in America for the night. Have a great vacation.

You just summed up exactly how I feel when cruising. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
It could also be that NCL does not wish to pay to have Customs and Immigration standing by to clear two passengers off the ship, which is different from clearing the ship for a daytime port call.

This strikes me as the more likely reason - thanks!