Re: birth certificates and maiden names

SpaceLady77

just curious. I am in the process of getting passports for both of my sons. However, I noticed the birth certificates have the mom's maiden name on them. Has anyone who travels with only BCs had a problem with this?

Because your ID won't have your maiden name, it'll have your married name.

Again just curious.

I never had an issue with it, but some say to bring your marriage license as a bridging document. I did start bringing mine on the last couple of cruises I sailed with a BC and DL but I was never asked for it.

Great answer. To me that's more of a reason to get the kids passports. I lose stuff easily so the less documentation I travel with...the better

Great answer. To me that's more of a reason to get the kids passports. I lose stuff easily so the less documentation I travel with...the better

Another reason to get the kid's passports is because some cruise lines require it when traveling with only one parents or traveling with grandparents.

Another reason to get the kid's passports is because some cruise lines require it when traveling with only one parents or traveling with grandparents.

A note from the father saying it's ok for the kids to travel wouldn't be sufficient? I wasn't planning on getting my kids' passports for a few more years but am planning a cruise without their father also going with us next year.

You need to check with your cruise line. Passports prove citizenship, not relationship. You also need to be prepared to prove that you are the parent/legal guardian and you have to have notarized permission to leave the country from a non traveling parent/guardian. Related, yet different, issues.

A note from the father saying it's ok for the kids to travel wouldn't be sufficient? I wasn't planning on getting my kids' passports for a few more years but am planning a cruise without their father also going with us next year.

I see you have lots of Princess cruises in your past - and I believe Princess is one of the lines that requires passports if only one parent is travelling. I think the issue is that they want everyone to be able to fly home if necessary, unlike if there are two guardians and the kids could stay behind with one if something happened to the other. You def want to check since travel insurance won't cover any costs for missed cruises due to improper paperwork.

I see you have lots of Princess cruises in your past - and I believe Princess is one of the lines that requires passports if only one parent is travelling. I think the issue is that they want everyone to be able to fly home if necessary' date=' unlike if there are two guardians and the kids could stay behind with one if something happened to the other. You def want to check since travel insurance won't cover any costs for missed cruises due to improper paperwork.[/quote']

Yes, we would be cruising on Princess so I'll ask my TA if she knows for sure what the rules are. It's probably just easier getting their passports instead of keeping up with the paper birth certificates. Thanks!

A Birth Certificate has the name you are BORN under! They check birth DATES, if you need a photo Id, too and under 16 doesn't need a photo ID...the last name isn't the thing they are checking...they are making sure you're a citizen! That's all!

• 4 weeks later...
My wife has her maiden name for her passport.

Our daughter has my last name.

Will this be an issue?

No one can tell you it won't be an issue for certain. But both my boys have different last names from each other and me and I have never been questioned. I also have never been asked for support documentation but I have always been ready with my oldest' father's death certificate and my marriage license and a letter from my youngest' dad to show the name linkage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also note that with the exception of Princess' requirement for passports when travelling with only one parent, all of the requirements for bridging documents are a CBP requirement, not a cruise line requirement. CBP can ask for bridging documentation or not, depending on how successful they are in tracing your name changes using digital databases. They will not normally deny re-entry into the US without bridging documents, but if asked for them, and you cannot produce them, it will cause delays in clearing CBP and possible missed flights. It is becoming more rare for them to require the bridging documents, as more and more data goes digital, but it still can be requested on occasion.