Can I use my own hypoallergenic detergent in washing machines?

Jetswdo

My skin is so sensitive, I could never use a ship's laundry service--- when cruising on ships that have self service washers and dryers, I always bring the chemical "free" laundry pods with me. I understand that Celebrity provides their own detergent- does any one know if it is hypoallergenic?

I understand that Celebrity provides their own detergent- does any one know if it is hypoallergenic?

You could ask on the Celebrity forum

On Oceania I have brought my own scent free detergent to use in the machines

My skin is so sensitive, I could never use a ship's laundry service--- when cruising on ships that have self service washers and dryers, I always bring the chemical "free" laundry pods with me. I understand that Celebrity provides their own detergent- does any one know if it is hypoallergenic?

This isn't the Celebrity forum. Nonetheless, on Oceania, you need to use the provided liquid detergent,which, on some of the ships, is automatically dispensed by an automated system.

Note as well that their detergent solution is formulated for minimal impact on ship systems and discharge.

Using your own stuff (in those machine that don't automatically dispense the proprietary liquid) is, IMO, environmentally irresponsible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The soaps used on O are biodegradable I have no idea what your allergic to in soap.

People are asked NOT to use their own soaps because of the pollution that many detergents possess... THE O soaps are selected because they dont screw up the environment ...please help by using theirs

I am still trying to find out for persons like me, that the allergens free detergent, whether what Oceania uses for the environment, covers this as well. If not, is there a way to use our own ENVIRONMENT friendly allergen free detergent pods.

Once I have the actual facts, please no lecture that I plan on messing up the ocean, due to my skin sensitivity- then I can figure out my packing situation. On Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, etc, with no self service available, I pack much more than I would if I had access to self service laundry, which is the only feature I like on Princess ships.

Perhaps, I could just rinse my clothes, without any soap? Is it possible to not use that feature in Oceania's machines? Or control how much of their soap to use in the first place?

Thanks, Anita

Perhaps, I could just rinse my clothes, without any soap? Is it possible to not use that feature in Oceania's machines? Or control how much of their soap to use in the first place?

Thanks, Anita

The machines you have to add the detergent to them so YES you can wash without soap

I use my own eco friendly soap but also use the ship's brand & it seems fine for my skin but everyone is different

Thanks, Anita

Yes but I can only answer regarding my recent experince on Marina. I did not read the instructions carefully and started the machine without adding their soap. There was a dispenser on the wall and a measuring cup that I missed, assuming that it would automatically be added. Hope this helps.

I am still trying to find out for persons like me, that the allergens free detergent, whether what Oceania uses for the environment, covers this as well. If not, is there a way to use our own ENVIRONMENT friendly allergen free detergent pods.

Thanks, Anita

No, your home detergents are not environmentally friendly,,,, your pods are not...... dont have to use any soap in the wash if you are that sensitive:confused: Use the soap provided or nothing...please:rolleyes:

No, your home detergents are not environmentally friendly,,,, your pods are not...... dont have to use any soap in the wash if you are that sensitive:confused: Use the soap provided or nothing...please:rolleyes:

Just curious - how do you know so much about the specific pods that the OP uses?

Just curious - how do you know so much about the specific pods that the OP uses?

I, talked to the environmental officer on the ship Mark, I sort of thought that might be accurate.:confused:

In addition there are international standards for what a ship and boats can or can not discharge. Detergents, Oils, types of waste things like that are specified..

An additional problem can also exist in the ships water treatment/ waste treatment equipment of some design. Some detergents screw up the system...exactly how I cant say but I was told they do. With all these compounding factors, this is the reason the ship supplies the soap....as a pollution control method to meet maritime laws and standards..

Carnival and Princess I believe got recent large fines for improper discharges from their ships..its a big deal to coast guard and environmental agencies in many countries even places like the antarctic....

Hope this clarifies things... There are a lot of referenced materials you can look up.

I, talked to the environmental officer on the ship Mark, I sort of thought that might be accurate.:confused:

In addition there are international standards for what a ship and boats can or can not discharge. Detergents, Oils, types of waste things like that are specified..

An additional problem can also exist in the ships water treatment/ waste treatment equipment of some design. Some detergents screw up the system...exactly how I cant say but I was told they do. With all these compounding factors, this is the reason the ship supplies the soap....as a pollution control method to meet maritime laws and standards..

Carnival and Princess I believe got recent large fines for improper discharges from their ships..its a big deal to coast guard and environmental agencies in many countries even places like the antarctic....

Hope this clarifies things... There are a lot of referenced materials you can look up.

You didn't answer my question.

How do you know the specific information on the particular pod that the OP uses?

The pods that I specifically use on cruise ships are grab green, environmentally responsible allergens free. If Oceania offers a similar one, I am more than happy to just use that. The poster that is kind of a , no offense, know it all, at my expense, should have the exact facts first, before making me feel guilty just because I don't want to end up with a rash, for goodness sake.

If someone who normally uses an allergens free detergent at home, and has had no problem at all using what Oceania provides, the chances are good that Oceania's detergent is allergens free. That is what I am trying to figure out. Then I will act accordingly. And by the way, to that know it all, my husband and I are members of Sierra Club, and very pro environment.

So I have no intention of polluting the seas, thank you very much.

Probably the best thing to do is try & contact someone at Oceania (via your TA if you used one) & see if you can find out what they use or if your brand would be OK to use

If that fails take yours & ask on the ship

The brand I use they no longer make but I do not have really sensitive skin so the O soap is OK for me

Do not worry about certain posters here

if all else fails use the ignore feature ..a wonderful thing :evilsmile:

Probably the best thing to do is try & contact someone at Oceania (via your TA if you used one) & see if you can find out what they use or if your brand would be OK to use

If that fails take yours & ask on the ship

The brand I use they no longer make but I do not have really sensitive skin so the O soap is OK for me

Do not worry about certain posters here

if all else fails use the ignore feature ..a wonderful thing :evilsmile:

Your pod, soap or what ever, is nice to be green, thats a relative term like "acid resistant". The specific term that needs to be stated is "bio-degradable" that is the key element, What is ok on land is not necessarily ok at sea.. Two different environments in total.. The soaps on the ship, all ships are selected careful to meet these ocean safe biodegradeable standards.

Acting responsibly is most appreciated.

Does the OP have a TA?

The only correct answer to your question is to give your TA the exact name of the laundry detergent you use, and ask the TA to go directly to Oceania, in writing, and request a written response. That is the purpose of the TA. That is what they are paid to do. Is commissions received. That is the only way you will get the accurate answer, in lieu of wide speculation!

Are you scared of the response you might receive? Believe me, if you had taken this course of action, you would have already had the official answer!

I too have an extreme sensitivity to dyes, perfumes and fillers in laundry detergents. When we were on the Marina last year I used the self-service laundry soap without a problem. I used half the amount recommended and the clothes were clean and I did not have any skin or respiratory issues. I hope this helps! :D

I always use the soap provided and on Oceania's first five ships (the three R and the two O), there is a liquid soap dispenser, either with a measuring cup provided or via autofill plastic lines.

BUT during the first season on Sirena, the crew was purchasing large boxes of laundry soap at our stops in Spain, France, etc. There were usually a couple of large boxes on the floor with measuring cups. The brands changed from time to time over our three week journey.

They may have the auto system now, but they were certainly using over the counter product in 2016.

I always use the soap provided and on Oceania's first five ships (the three R and the two O), there is a liquid soap dispenser, either with a measuring cup provided or via autofill plastic lines.

BUT during the first season on Sirena, the crew was purchasing large boxes of laundry soap at our stops in Spain, France, etc. There were usually a couple of large boxes on the floor with measuring cups. The brands changed from time to time over our three week journey.

They may have the auto system now, but they were certainly using over the counter product in 2016.

FWIW, we sailed on Sirena in September 2016 and can attest that the liquid soap dispenser found on all of Oceania's ships was in place and in use. We suspect that the presence of "over the counter product" was limited to a few of Sirena's initial voyages earlier that summer following its acquisition from Princess and subsequent makeover, which as others have reported was still a work in progress for the first few months of her inaugural season.

We join Hawaiidan in urging use only of the detergent that Oceania provides in the self-service laundries.

It's been over a week since the recommendation to the OP to provide the details of her detergent to Oceania and get an official response from them.

What did Oceania say? Did the OP ask? If not, why not, other than perhaps not wanting an official answer?!