Countryside By Bicycle And Hoi An Town

florence11

Hi,

Has anyone done this tour with Celebrity " countryside by bicycle " I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on it.

Thanks

I haven't been to Vietnam, but to most of the countries in East and Southern Asia. I am an avid cyclist and love biking, but no way would I want to be on a bicycle in the kind of traffic that I have encountered in East Asia.

I haven't been to Vietnam, but to most of the countries in East and Southern Asia. I am an avid cyclist and love biking, but no way would I want to be on a bicycle in the kind of traffic that I have encountered in East Asia.

Were it Saigon I'd agree with you 100%. :eek:

And the Celebrity employee who dreamed it up would be certified insane. :D

But the roads around Hoi An aren't a problem.

Not that I've ridden a bike there - or anywhere else in the last 50 years.

JB :)

Lots of great places around Hoi An for cycling. We spent several days in Hoi Ann and environs.

Once you get off the main road it is fine. Same with many other place in Vietnam. We spent a month there travelling from south to north. Beautiful country,friendly people, great food, lots to see.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked the Countryside by Bicycle Tour and Hoi An through Azamara for our trip in December 2016. I expect Celebrity use the same tour operator. This was a very good tour and I would recommend it. Just 14 participated on the tour, so the numbers worked very well.

We docked at De Nang and from there was taken by coach along the China Beach area to a small hamlet just outside of Hoi An to a family run restaurant for a drink of locally made 'herbal' non alcoholic drink and use the toilet facilities. We then walked around 200mtrs to a disused car park! Where our bicycles were lined up (well maintained and easy to use complete with a shopping basket on the front! A bottle of water and a new packet rain poncho were supplied. We cycled for 45 mins - not long enough but we saw lots when cycling around the traffic free areas overlooking rice fields, residential area etc. Even seeing a water buffalo with her young calf, a couple plucking and washing ducks in the river, children going to school by boat and people working their crops etc. Nearly all the cycle route is traffic free along quiet back lanes and streams. It stayed fine throughout the cycle tour. We then returned to the coach and left our bicycles and the coach took us on to Hoi An which was badly flooded so we did not see that much of the city unfortunately. Our guide was very good though and was very enthusiastic and chatty! The downside to ships tours is time spent shopping, this tour we visited the silk factory, although we did see the process of silk manufacturing and we also visited the marble workshop we would have all preferred to spend more time cycling. The included lunch at a riverside restaurant was very good. The venue was very light and airy and quite grand with lots of space and a view of the river in the unfortunate heavy rain we endured later in the day. Before booking this tour I had explored booking a cycle tour independently however they all started off in Hoi An and did not provide transfers from De Nang and getting a taxi and timings did not work that well. This tour gives a good over view of the area.