Total cruise Cost

usaspire

Hi,

So my husband and I are taking a cruise in June. I was doing the math today and so far we have already spend $3400...this includes the curise itself, flight and couple of excursions.

I am guessing we will be booking couple of more smaller excursion. But, in total looks like we will be spending about 4k.

Does this seem right? I feel like we are over spending.

How much has it cost you in the past?

I have read about 2 people spending $10K on a week-long cruise plus a week-long land tour. I am spending about $2,500 for an upcoming 2-1/2 week land tour and cruise. This price includes everything - food, tax, tips, excursions,lodging, all transportation (flight, rental car gas, etc), etc. I am doing multiple boat tours, one flightseeing tour, 3 nights in Denali NP, independent excursions on the cruise, etc. But I am a very frugal traveler :). I am relying heavily on discounted tours through various sources (2-for-1 coupons, Groupon, other EMail offers, etc).

So $4K for two people doesn't sound too bad actually. Partly it depends on what kind of cabin one selects. That is probably the biggest cost difference between most people.

Totally depends on what kind of experience you are planning. I don't think $4K is that bad for a couple. The poster doing it for $2500 is a in a rare minority and I doubt you will find any one else that can do 2.5 weeks for that, they are basically averaging $50 per day, per person including hotels, food, excursions, tips, cabin, land transportation etc... 2.5 weeks means they will be on land for about 10 nights. Think about the cost of hotel and food for 10 days on land....Kudos to the poster, but this is definately not normal.

Price heavily depends on many things;

- Cabin type on the cruise (Suite v Balcony v inside)

- Originating city for flights and flight times (popular departure v red eye)

- Over night accomidations on land

My point is that tourist A could stay in high level balcony, fly from the south or east coast on a popular flight and stay in a moderate hotels while on land...while tourist B could book a low level interior room, fly from the west coast on a late night flight and stay in hostiles or budget motels. Tourist A could easily spend thousands more just with those three choices.

It's not about how much should it cost, it's more a matter of how much do you want it to cost and what are you willing to do to save money. To some people better flights or nicer hotels are worth the money, some people are willing to stay in lesser hotels or book less desirable flights and cabins to save the money.

The cost is up to you, but I don't think 4K is at all unreasonable.

We're leaving for Alaska in 9 days. We're doing 6 days land, 7 days cruise, an extra day at both Anchorage and Vancouver and have booked excursions for almost everyday. Our cruisetour alone was almost $6100.00 - that's for the 6 days of land and 7 day cruise (for 2 people). So 6 nights in hotels, 7 nights on the ship. Food included only on cruise portion. We got a balcony stateroom on the ship. Our excursions are going to cost us about $2500, but we picked expensive excursions, one being a flightseeing tour. This is for our 20th anniversary and is one of those trips of a lifetime. So you figure a hotel stay for the extra night in Anchorage and in Vancouver, the food for all but the ship and all other incidentals and we're over $10,000. Oh and I forgot the airfare of $1400.00. So this is one expensive trip for us, but we've never done anything like this and probaby won't again in our lives unless we win the lotto :D Gee, putting it in writing is a little painful, LOL!!!

I can't wait to leave and the packing part is a little crazy (oh ya, baggage fees - I forgot about that :eek:).

A lot depends on how much you will spend on board. My DH and I are thrifty people. I don't remember exactly what we spent onboard our first Alaska cruise, but it was under $30, which we spent on a few drinks. (I am not including tips which I basically consider part of the price of the cruise) Others will spend a lot on the ship. Between drinks, wine with dinner, programs, spa, specialty restaurants, classes, laundry, etc, it can add up quickly. Others, like myself, are thrifty and don't like to spend on the ship. We are satisfied with what is included for the price we paid. However, when it comes to excursions, that is where we don't like to skimp. For us, going to Alaska is all about seeing its wilderness. That involves a lot of money, and we are not thrifty when it comes to excursions. Alaska is expensive, but oh, so worth it.

As a general rule of thumb, looking back on a few previous cruises we likely spend about $100/day on tips, a bottle of wine at dinner, a gift or two, perhaps a photo, and the occasional drink. Independent tours would be in the range of $100/port/person and that would not be anything elaborate.

Hi,

So my husband and I are taking a cruise in June. I was doing the math today and so far we have already spend $3400...this includes the curise itself, flight and couple of excursions.

I am guessing we will be booking couple of more smaller excursion. But, in total looks like we will be spending about 4k.

Does this seem right? I feel like we are over spending.

How much has it cost you in the past?

It depends a lot on what you book. DH and I are over $8000 now just for the cruise, 2 excursions, and a dinner in the specialty restaurant, but we booked a suite with a corner aft wrap-around balcony (It's ALASKA!) and 2 of the more expensive excursions. Haven't added in tips or any extras yet. Thankfully our flight will be free with frequent flyer miles and hotel free with points. When all is said and done, it will probably be ~$10,000 for 2 people.

How does that credit card commercial go -

Cruise 3400.00

Airfare 1300.00

Excurisions 1200

Seeing Alaska - priceless

BTW we cruised to AK 9 years ago - family of 4 one balcony room one inside on deck 10. Shore excursions in every port, soda cards, trinkets, tips was just under 8,000.00

So far for my next trip - 3 people - one penthouse suite, excursions, etc we have spent a little over 8,000.00.

Like others have said it really depends on sooo many factors.

The cabin type

Transportation to and from the ship

Excursions and tours

Drinks, photos, souvenirs, spa services

Clothing for cruise

Babysitting services

Cruise line, (budget, luxury, etc..)

Tips

Extra fee dining

$ for plans at home while you are gone, pet boarding, etc...

Extra days before and after cruise in embarkation port, so hotel, touring, food

You get the picture. If you can do it for $4,000, I'd say that's very good.

It can all add up VERY quickly. Only you can decide for yourselves how much you can and are willing to spend. That's a good thing for everybody. It makes an Alaska cruise affordable for many different people on many budget levels!

For us, we have a vista aft wrap suite, cross country train to ship, flight from ship. Three days pre-cruise in embarkation port. Lots of $$$ excursions, etc. We are looking at about $9,000 - $10,000 total, but figure it's our first trip there (and maybe only) so we aren't sparing much expense to do it. But that is just us, everyone's mileage will vary. Any way you do it, it will be wonderful!

We are doing an 11 day with 7 of that cruise 3495.00pp in a mini suite... flying from east coast 869.00 pp and the cruise. Excursions are flightseeing whale watch, White Pass plus Emerald Lake Princess excursion to see the bears so about 1000.00 pp so about 5400.00 per person PRICELESS

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise 8/31. We've been cruises before, but this is our first one to Alaska. We booked an inside cabin (on sale), and with the cruise fare, travel insurance, airfare to Seattle RT from the midwest, 1 night pre cruise, taxis, shipboard account, tips, a little extra for souvenirs, the White Pass 3 hour trip and whale watch excursions for two...comes to $4200. It is a little more than we've spent on other cruises, but I feel Alaska will be worth it!

We are on a 12 night cruisetour, Aqua Class Celebrity cabin with balcony. Flights are very expensive from Ohio ($879 pp) but those were with Capital One points. Total so far with cruisetour, 3 excursions and my premium drink package is 9k. Still to come is food on land, souvenirs, and one or two other land excursions so we figure the total to be around 11k. It is our dream trip so well worth it!

Included:

1. 14 night HAL itinerary, 4 people in an inside cabin

2. 4 flights

3. tips

4. excursions

5. transportation to cruise ship

6. hotels (4 nights) pre and post cruise in Seattle

I refuse to total it all up:eek:... we are going all out with our upcoming Alaskan cruise. :o

I totally agree with this statement. It is a once in a lifetime trip and I'm not skimping on anything. I'm sure we'll be around $10K by the time a week on the ship and a week on land (DIY) is factored together. I've never been more happy to spend that kind of money.

Our family of 6 is going in August. 10 days total

Flights JFK to Sea Tac 2300

Hotel 560 2 rooms for 2 nights pre cruise

Space Needle/ Boeing Tour 250

2 insides 3800

1 Balcony 2600

All private transfers 220 around Seattle

Whale Watch 900 private tour

Floatplane 718 for 3

Lumberjack 90

Private Fishing tour and Licenses 600

Yukon tour and Sled Dog 900 6 hour private tour with lunch

Tracy Arm 360

Sign and Sail I would be happy with anything under 1000.00 for 3 cabins. We have 3 who can drink, some money per day for younger ones in Fun Zone, a couple of family photos and 1 night at Steakhouse.

If I can keep it at 15,000 I will be thrilled. The money has been going out in dribs and drabs so not to painful.

This is a trip we will never go on again as a family so as another poster put it, not skimping here.

There were areas where I could have paid less, cruise rooms, hotel and transfers but we like certain things in a hotel and did not want to cut there. We could have put 3 people each in 2

cabins but that is not a vacation for my DH and I:)

I think that is a good price for you. Have a great time.

The girlfriend and I are looking at about $5000 ($2500pp) total for flights from TX to Vancouver, 7 day cruise with balcony, helicopter, sea plane and whale watching excursions, and return flights from anchorage, with 2 nights in a hotel, tips, and transportation. Is that pretty reasonable given everything?

I love the response "I refuse to toal it up". I wish I had almost not done that. We're both 30 so I thought totalling it up would be the adult thing to do :)

But, yeah it's alaska so I am just going to stop paying attention to it from now on. I am glad we were atleast on the right track and not being ripped off

Archived