Hammocks to prevent sea sickness

AmazedByCruising

When you consider that a woman sued McDonalds, and was awarded 6 figures, when she dumped hot coffee on her lap, and complained that the company served their coffee too hot, you can imagine how much a hammock injury would cost.

Hot coffee is generally served at about 140 degrees Fahrenheit. At the time of the famous case, McDonald's served their coffee at 180-190F, and had records of hundreds of people suffering burns from their coffee. The 79 y.o. plaintiff in this case suffered third-degree (full-thickness) burns over about 6% of her body, including some of the worst places where you can suffer burns.

I'm not in favor of frivolous lawsuits, and at first glance, the McDonald's coffee case seems like one. But it wasn't.

I'd love to sleep in a hammock on a cruise ship, if I could.

I'm glad some people seem to like the idea as well :)

While lying in a hammock on a rolling and pitching ship might minimize one's motion relative to the center of the Earth, it would emphasize the perceived motion relative to cabin surroundings. It would surely be a challenge getting out of the stable hammock and onto a moving deck.

If used for actual sleeping by cruise ship passengers instead of cadets, some technical tricks are probably needed. For one, I don't think it needs to actually look like a hammock. It could be a sturdy bed that is attached with ropes to prevent a ruined back. (Personally, I'd like a real hammock better I think). It should also be possible to stop the swinging somehow to get out. The engineers that came up with the huge moving arm on the Quantum of the Seas should be able to think of something. More ropes, an anchor, lowering the whole thing to the ground or maybe even a voice activated strong electromagnet in the floor.

is a video on board the "Jewel of the Seas" that not only shows "art" to prove it's really a cruise ship but a stabilized pool table as well. If it wasn't for passengers mistreating the balls badly, they'd sleep more comfortable than anyone else on the ship. :) Edited by AmazedByCruising

Slightly off topic: the possibility of law suits has been mentioned quite a few times, as bigger problems than technical issues.

I wonder what would happen if cruising was invented today and passengers would find out the promised wonderful vacation in the sun they booked actually made them sea sick, leading to physical and emotional problems for the rest of their lives so they cannot work anymore, but $20 million might bring some comfort, etc. Would the judge say "that's an obvious risk you take when boarding a ship" or would there be no cruising industry at all because the legal department would stop it before the first ship was ordered?

I think you'd be amazed by the frivolous lawsuits that have been filed by cruise passengers, but I don't think they would have canceled the cruise business if they foresaw the lawsuits. Here, in the US, it's known as the cost of doing business.

I have a friend who's a Maritime lawyer in Miami and he's seen and heard all kinds of insanity. Someone sued claiming the bartenders served her too much liquor and she had a hangover. People sued because they caught Norovirus, or because the ship sailed during an impending hurricane, or because they didn't get served their steaks at the requested temperature, or because the ship had to skip a port due to bad weather. There was even a lawsuit filed because people got back to the ship an hour after sailing and the ship wasn't there. Americans are very lawsuit happy.

BeagleOne, the lady in question also was driving and put the hot coffee between her thighs. Definitely a lot of culpability on her part.

Our tablemate had a hammock on his balcony on one of our Holland America cruises. He and his wife had one of the huge Neptune suites with a wrap-around balcony. I can't remember exactly what he attached it to, but I remember it being something substantial--not a water pipe. Otherwise I would not have tried it out.

Edited by geoherb

I'm not sure the litigation aspect is the issue since Royal provides ample hammocks on Coco Cay for their passengers. Imagine how much they'd have to reduce the price for a hammock room versus their 'plush' beds. Also, hammocks do not convey the idea of a fancy cruise. It does fit the beach ideal, although most of the potential injuries are just as likely on land as at sea.

Edited by leinhto

Our tablemate had a hammock on his balcony on one of our Holland America cruises. He and his wife had one of the huge Neptune suites with a wrap-around balcony. I can't remember exactly what he attached it to, but I remember it being something substantial--not a water pipe. Otherwise I would not have tried it out.

A hammock on a Neptune balcony. I have a new goal in life :)

I'm not sure the litigation aspect is the issue since Royal provides ample hammocks on Coco Cay for their passengers. Imagine how much they'd have to reduce the price for a hammock room versus their 'plush' beds. Also, hammocks do not convey the idea of a fancy cruise. It does fit the beach ideal, although most of the potential injuries are just as likely on land as at sea.

Last cruise I had a suite with a table and couch that I didn't use a single time in 14 days. If the same suite was offered without those, but with a hammock so I could choose every night between bed and hammock I wouldn't hesitate for a second.