Can you imagine what people might bring on board

uktog

I sometimes wonder where Celebrity get some of their ideas from!!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2010-02-19&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Todays announcement of a new idea, somehow - and I will stand corrected if I am proved wrong - I cannot see this catching on

I could turn up inappropriately dressed each night and say "well I know it is formal night/you dont like jeans and t shirts but I had to bring my 1835 Antique stuffed Rhino with me but it weighed 19.5 kg so this is all I could bring with the rest of my allowance :)

I do hope anyone who does take them up on the offer checks their valuables insurance very carefully to make sure it is covered on board

I sometimes wonder where Celebrity get some of their ideas from!!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2010-02-19&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Todays announcement of a new idea, somehow - and I will stand corrected if I am proved wrong - I cannot see this catching on

Given the type size and lack of paragraphs you are making a safe prediction. I doubt anyone will even bother to read the entire release.

When I saw the title for this thread, I immediately thought of a bus trip to Baltimore, arranged by our TA, to tour a Carnival ship between sailings.

We were the first to board and I was amused by the number of wheeled beer coolers that passengers brought into the terminal as their carryon luggage. :rolleyes: I thought this thread would be about that kind of stuff.

My DW and I feel we already fit the bill of antiques so we don't have to bring anything along to be appraised :cool: for value.

Not only can't I fathom anyone coming up with this idea, but I can't imagine anyone in Miami actually approving it and setting it in motion.

"Guests planning to sail on the March 29, 2010 voyage of Celebrity Equinox are encouraged to bring personal items onboard for the duration of the cruise."

For the duration of the cruise???? How do you bring something onboard for LESS than the duration of the cruise?

"Dr. Lori does not appraise antique and collectible stamps, coins, currency, musical instruments (or guns or other weapons, which are prohibited from being brought onboard). Items that are extremely fragile, that may be difficult to carry, or that are particularly subject to damage from exposure to an ocean-going environment should not be brought onboard."

With all the exclusions, it appears the only antique you CAN bring along is the mother-in-law! LOL!

I think they need to have a camera crew at the pier for this one :D. I would love to see just what some people are willing to schlep on board.

I have to agree this is giving me some amusing thoughts

Now for example I have a collectible antique bottle of whisky

If I bring it on board will have it confiscated and return to me on the last evening

If so will the expert be available for me then :D

Are you a "TOG"? I am and I really miss him when I'm doing my work early mornings....I'd love to hear his take on this.....

I am indeed and maybe I will see if he will pick this one up though with his new format might be less chance

On my last cruise I kept getting funny looks for laughing whilst listening to my Ipod by the Lawn - it was of course one of the Janet and John CDs I was listening to

Back to the subject of this thread, do you think if they were cruising Boggy would bring some old bottles of Pinot;John would bring some jewel encrusted frock coat and Charlie Nove would try and miss the fire engines as he drove the Routemaster up the gangway

For those who have not a clue what this is about, it related to a UK Radio programme on the BBC which has unfortunately just moved from every morning to once a week - the presenter is 70+ so who can blame him

TOGs are his followers who contributed humour to the show usually based on silly reflections on life (TOGs by nature tend to be average age 50+ who remember how things used to be!!) TOGs never use their own names so write under names like Hellen Bach; Ivy Noidea; Edina Cloud; Dora Jarr; Sir Ian Ambassador etc - get it - their anthem is Young at Heart and their catch phrase is "Do I come here often?"

Most importantly by varous fundraising things and selling CDs of their humour etc they have raised several million pounds for the BBBC Children in Need appeal

If anyone learned to read with the Janet and John books and would like a link to the humour of the double entendre J and J stories written for the prog I can post a link

Wow, I am surprised to see all the negativity. I love antiques roadshow and would love to see the presentations. I think it is a great idea.

Cheers!

Michelle

SO glad to read your post...because I was thinking the same thing....obviously bringing large items is absurd but I have several smaller unbreakable things from coins to some very OLD jewelry and other little items that I might take if I was on that sailing just to see what they have to say.....It would be easy for me as I live in Florida and don't have the space restrictions on luggage that others have. I think it's a neat idea.....

SO glad to read your post...because I was thinking the same thing....obviously bringing large items is absurd but I have several smaller unbreakable things from coins to some very OLD jewelry and other little items that I might take if I was on that sailing just to see what they have to say.....It would be easy for me as I live in Florida and don't have the space restrictions on luggage that others have. I think it's a neat idea.....

I'll let my wife bring her old stuff for someone to look at while I bring my blow-up pool and put it on the veranda while waiting for her...

Wow, I am surprised to see all the negativity. I love antiques roadshow and would love to see the presentations. I think it is a great idea.

Cheers!

Michelle

I love Antiques Roadshow and used to work with their staff...but not on a cruise ship where people are shlepping stuff aboard.

I don't think people are being negative I think they are making light of it - all in good fun and humor!

I too love ARS, all versions. But don't you think it absurd to consider bringing along a potentially valuable piece? Where is one going to store it with any sense of security? Certainly not the in-cabin safe.

While you may not anticipate a weight restriction on what you bring. Consider the fact that you'll more than likely want to carry it on, along with all your other carry-ons.

Nothing valuable, fragile, larger than about 12" cubed, or heavier than about 10 lbs. Seems to me to make a mockery of the ARS concept.

djk, my wife is going to bring her old stuff also,..........ME!!!!:D

Can't even joke on these boards without someone being offended.:rolleyes: Chill out and laugh a bit.

If I had some antique jewelry etc, I'd bring it in a second. Nothing like a second opinion. But, Im wondering if I can get an estimate on my 1965 Ford Mustang????? Can I bring it?????!!!!!!!;)

djk, my wife is going to bring her old stuff also,..........ME!!!!:D

Can't even joke on these boards without someone being offended.:rolleyes: Chill out and laugh a bit.

If I had some antique jewelry etc, I'd bring it in a second. Nothing like a second opinion. But, Im wondering if I can get an estimate on my 1965 Ford Mustang????? Can I bring it?????!!!!!!!;)

Sure...provided you can squeeze it into the overhead compartment on the flights down and back!

Well, if you don't want to bring all you junk aboard, you can bring your emotional junk. Isn't she the know-it-all lady who cuts people off at the ankles before they finish their thoughts? My husband listens to her sometimes in the car - arghhhhhhhh!

On a positive note, I really like many of the enrichment speakers we seen on Celebrity ships:)

Archived