Cruise stops in Africa

lcumpire

I just found this forum - are there cruise lines that have stops that would allow me to take a day if two for a short safari. At this point I do not care about time of year.

Thanx

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just found this forum - are there cruise lines that have stops that would allow me to take a day if two for a short safari. At this point I do not care about time of year.

Thanx

There probably are some but do it very rarely.

Larry,

Actually several lines visit Africa. Keith who posts a blog on the Crystal board is sailing on the Crystal Serenity and will arrive in Durban, SA tomorrow and is doing a 3 day safari then returning to the ship in Cape Town. Check the Crystal board to read about it.

I am booked on the Oceania Marina from Cape Town to Rio. We will be doing an overnight safari before boarding the ship.

There are lots of options.

Oceania Nautica is doing Capetown to Singapore next January. There are many options for pre-cruise safaris from Capetown. Kruger or the private reserve, Sabi Sands, are a few options..

Oceania also offer an overnight safari from one of the ports in South Africa. I can't remember which one, but the passengers that went on it really enjoyed the safari and saw the Magnificent 5. I did a pre-cruise safari and was glad that I did as I definitely saw more animals than you can from the cruise ship. You have to be on the reserves either very early in the morning or late in the afternoon to see the animals.

Oceania Nautica is doing Capetown to Singapore next January. There are many options for pre-cruise safaris from Capetown. Kruger or the private reserve, Sabi Sands, are a few options..

We were booked on this cruise then had to cancel for work related issues. While doing research for similar cruise in 2016 I found several comments in cruise critic questioning Africa as a cruise ship destination. In summary, the comments I read were that Africa is best seen and experienced on a land tour with an extended safari. I also read comments about the ports (outside of Cape Town) not being very interesting. This led me to question whether we should skip our Africa cruise and instead choose one part of Africa and explore it via an extended Safari. We wouldn't cover as much ground but we would have a much better experience viewing wildlife which is our primary interest in visiting Africa.

I realize that cruising in general has drawbacks and the brevity of port visits is a major one but for those of you who have cruised to Africa, is this a destination where a land visit far outweighs what you can experience by cruising?

The cruise gave us a taste of several different parts of Africa. Some ports, we know we will not go back to and others gave us enough of a taste that we are planning on doing a land trip of Africa in another couple of years. What the ports did is whet our appetites so that we want to go back. As my TA said, once you have been to Africa, it gets under your skin and you want to go back again. The only drawback about travelling to Africa is the long flight.

Yes, we were glad we did the cruise. We saw enough of certain areas, that we now know that we don't want to go back there, and other areas, we know to avoid.

VoD has a cruise December 2014 that has two stops in Tanzania and they are offering an overnight safari shore tour but it's quite expensive.

This cruise ends in Mauritius in early January and I actually found the best prices for flights home went via Johannesburg so I've built in a stay-over there into my itinerary and am doing a 3-day safari from J'burg. Tour companies will pick you up from the airport where there are two hotel options or from many other hotels.

Several years ago we did a HAL western African cruise that ended in Cape Town where we stayed over a week and did lots of touring.

Thanx

Oceania Nautica - December 2014 - Capetown roundtrip - does stops in South Africa

Oceania has other cruises with stops in Africa

Regent is doing a cruise Capetown to Singapore that includes three days precruise on mini safari, as well as several calls in other African ports.

I just read on CC that the current HAL world cruise is canceling several western African ports because of the Ebola outbreak.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Would like to fly to Johannesburg for a couple days of morning and afternoon safari's, and also take in Victoria Falls. Maybe we can hook up with like minded people. deSanford:)

We have just returned home from a cruise on Ocean Princess which sails out of Sydney in March 2015 or Singapore in April 2015 on a similar itinerary to the one we have just sailed.

There were ship's tours and private tours which left the ship in Durban and some returned to the ship in East London which was our next port and others didn't return until Cape Town. Cape Town was the end of a segment and we met many fellow passengers who were disembarking in Cape Town and then undertaking safaris.

The ship was continuing up the West Coast of Africa stopping at many interesting ports.

The Singapore to Cape Town segment is around 31 days and is a wonderful itinerary.

• 2 months later...

We are doing Oceania Insignia from Barbados to Cape Town as a segment of their World Cruise in January 2015. When we disembark in CT we are doing 3 days in Cape and then 4 days in Kreuger NP on safari. We booked our details thru a company locally. Looking forward to the experience.

• 2 weeks later...
We are scheduled to go to Africa on a Holland cruise in November. Part of the trip goes to West Africa and I am wondering if anyone has information about Holland changing ports due to the Ebola outbreak?

Check Holland America's News > Travel Advisories page:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Main.action?WT.ac=footer_News#

As of today 8/5/2014:

"There are no travel advisories posted at this time. If you have questions about a current or upcoming sailing please contact our customer service team here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Preface.action . Thank you."