Judy Abbott sad news

SANDAS

I am not a frequent poster and hope that this post is not considered poor taste or unacceptable. We have just returned from the Silver Wind where we learnt from cruise director Colin Brown the very sad news that Judy is very ill and not expected to recover.

We have had the privilege of having Judy as our cruise director several times and have admired her sparkle, energy and joie de vivre. Her energy and professionalism added hugely to the fun and success of the cruises we enjoyed with her. We were with her earlier this year around South America and it seems impossible to believe that such a vibrant spirit is so ill.

I feel so sad and feel that other cruisers would wish to know about her current situation.

Thank you for posting.

We, among hundreds of other Silversea cruisers, love Judy, and we hope she is able to know how much we care, how concerned we are, and how very grateful we are to have so enjoyed the pleasure of her delightful company. What a charming, spirited lady.

Our prayers are with her and her family.

Deborah and John

What sad news - we too have cruised with Judy in the past and are upset to hear that she is so ill. It was a privilege to have sailed with her and hope her family will appreciate the fun and happiness she engendered to all to whom she came in contact with.

Our prayers are with her.

All the best

Jo & David Clough

We have had the pleasure and privilege of sailing with Judy a number of times and she is not only the hardest working and most efficient CD we have met but her personality, professionalism and infectious enthusiasm make her a joy to sail with. She also has a wonderful stage presence and a fund of theatre memories and experiences which are an " Enrichment" to any voyage. Please give her our love and unstinting admiration. David and Barbara.

I don't think Judy really enjoys conducting Team Trivia: and it may possibly be the worst part of the cruise-day for her.

But - and this is surely the important part - she knows that every passenger is there because they enjoy it hugely. And so, just for us, she puts into it every thing she can muster, every time. Such fun!

And that's what makes her such a wonderful person and such a grand Performer!

Loved her "Life on a Cruise Ship" lectures... We heard this sad news from a few pax on our Istanbul to Athens cruise last Sept but I hoped it wasn't true... So sad, she is so young.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

From first hand experience and 12 years at sea ( a child be Judy's tenure ) I can tell you that she was by far the most kind, friendly and influential person I met during my time with Silversea and during those 12 years with thousands of wonderful people. During my 2nd contract with Silversea I was sent to do a handover with Judy for 5 days on the Silver Wind, I was technically on "probation" by the shoreside management for "below average" ratings....yes true. Nervous about losing my job I discussed this with Judy and over the course of those next days she offered advice, friendship and kindness with a sense of humor which was better than any comic I had on any ship.

Not only was she the best CD I ever have seen to the guests, it was her family of officer's, staff and crew who had the utmost pleasure to work with her each day. I would never want a "handover" to be more than a day or two, however when looking at our schedule and knowing I was replacing her, I would smile every time I knew we had extra time together. She is the only person I have seen who the crew respected more than the Captain, they would defend her at all costs because of her amazing kindness to all.

She is the only person who wanted to be onboard during the holidays, doing her Christmas show and being with her family. When someone decided there should be no xmas trees onboard, she dressed up as one onstage for a show...you won't see that by any other CD, ever. I did a tutu and got a tepid response at best, I only did it because she did the tree.

My success at SS was due to one reason, Judy. Far and away one of the best people I had the chance to work with and meet in life and I wish her comfort and send my love during this difficult time.

"Happy" Christmas to all, especially Judy.

Jimmy

A belated reflection:

Judy was the CD on what looked to be a routine crossing Dublin-NY, departing 9/11/01.

The word of the events in NYC arrived just as the ship was boarding in Dublin. It was the first Whisper crossing of the Atlantic, and the satellite TV did not always work as the engineers tried to calibrate the equipment.

Judy was a voice of calm and compassion throughout the voyage (which in fact ended in Philadelphia, since NY port was being used for emergency services).

She mounted and led a memorial service mid-Atlantic in the Venetian Lounge. That service -- which was eloquent in every way -- may have been my most memorable hour in many, many hours of sailing on SS.

She is a Silversea great -- right up there as CD with Colin Brown and the now-departed from SS Ray Solaire.