Course ordering in MDR

mainepaddler

Why not?

I had to think about it for a moment. Most of our eating out is on cruise ships. Then I thought, it is very common in regular restaurants to order appetizers while deciding your main course.

It isn't the way it works in cruise ships. :)

On cruises we always order everything at once and same on land unless there's an extensive menu and the waiter comes to take our order too quickly. On cruises the menu isn't that extensive, plus you can see the menu ahead of time on your tv or outside the dining room to acquaint yourself with the offerings that evening.

At dinner you order your appetizers and entrée at in the beginning. Then they will bring out the dessert menu.

For Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch you'd order everything at the beginning.

The way I look at it--If it's on the menu they want you to order it then and there.

Yea, orders are taken all at one time. Too many people to keep going back to each table for orders of each course. Dining takes long enough as it is.

I do order all at once but I do not see the extra trips as long as you order the entrée when they bring your app, etc.

In talking to wait staff, they prefer that you order everything at once, so they can plan out your service. Also, if you can't decide between two entrees, just order both - much easier than if you order one and don't like it and they have to replace.

In most (98%) restaurants I've been to, we've always ordered appetizers while deciding on an entree.

However, on every Carnival cruise we've been on, we've ordered appetizers and entrees together. They come out separate.

We are then given a dessert order (after the meal) to order dessert.

All of the above having been said, you can order an appetizer for dessert, if you like (for example, one of the cold fruit soups). Also, you can order more of something, if you find it particularly yummy. Or sometimes the waiter will bring you more even if you don't request it, if you've raved about it and have been nice to him/her. ;)

Having the entire meal being set at the table at the same time is also a pet peeve of my DH and when we are ordering on land, we order the app, then it gives us time to really think about the main course.

But they have this down to a t on the ship-you order it all but the dessert, the waiter brings the appetizer, and when you are done, they clear the table and then bring the soups or salads (if any one orders them) and when they are done, table is cleared again, and the main course is brought. Once the main course is done, they bring around the dessert menu and you order that.

When they were doing lunch we had to order everything at the same time. I hear that the banana foster cheese cake is worth trying, so no chocolate lido deck buffet for me....:eek:

"I do order all at once but I do not see the extra trips as long as you order the entrée when they bring your app, etc."

The head waiter usually takes your order but the assistants will deliver the food alot of times. So it would take much more if they had to come back