SilverSea new Ship in 2015!

carefreecruise

Having dinner the other night with the Hotel Manager on board and he shared; a new ship will be built slightly larger and added one more deck then the Spirit. Also modifying the dining areas and adding more dining venues. The ship will be called the Spirit 2 and hopefully be christened in December 2015 on the same date the Spirit was done.

Planning was to add another large ship to round out the fleet. Having small ships for guest requiring pampering, another for exploration type guests and yet another for younger cruisers looking for more options onboard. They plan on not losing customers to the likes of Vikings new sea vessels. Personally I would like the Shadow and Whisper to get a full makeover first but that’s the latest…

FYI: he also shared with me: that there will be no more, one night poolside BBQ due to health reasons, no sneeze guards protecting the food. Too bad, I really enjoyed those events….

Is this new ship currently being built? If not, I am not sure how it can debut in Dec 2015. I thought it took much longer than 1 year or so to build and christen a new build.

Also, any idea why they aren't refurbishing the existing Spirit? Would like to know refurb schedule if anyone knows this info.

Edited by Sunprince

I am also unclear as to how this new ship will be christened in Dec 2015 unless it is already being built. The building of the new Regent ship started several months ago, and it won't be ready until late 2016. It definitely takes more than 14 months to build a cruise ship of this kind.

Edited by RachelG

I am also unclear as to how this new ship will be christened in Dec 2015 unless it is already being built. The building of the new Regent ship started several months ago, and it won't be ready until late 2016. It definitely takes more than 14 months to build a cruise ship of this kind.

I'm also unclear! Seabourn also has a new ship being built, it's going to take approximately 2 years from when it was announced.

I'm interested by this news, because a close friend was at a Silversea gala dinner in London a couple of months ago, and there was discussion there that they are certainly considering a new ship. But it was made clear there were no firm plans for the ship.

Which shipyard is building it and why no public announcement? Most cruise lines like to build some excitement and also add it to their calendars I confirmed for delivery. Silversea has their schedule out for 2016 but I don't see the new ship on it.

Currently away from home so I can't check specifics but, it was well over a year ago, maybe even 22 months ago, that while on board, it was announced that a contract was signed for a new build.

As much as I enjoy the deck parties, I can understand the sanitation level of the food service being a concern. I do hope they continue the entertainment aspect of the deck party, serving drinks and passed appetizers. It was always a fun filled evening.

Only schedule for a complete refurbishing I could get was for the Cloud in 2015.

This is an interesting thread and I appreciate the mention of the Silver Cloud being refurbished in 2015. But when, where and how?? We are getting ready for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days on the Cloud. In looking at the full schedule for next year, here are the "holes" on the Silver Cloud schedule when you look at potential bookings:

March 6-13, #1507, San Juan to San Juan; April 20-May 9, Athens to Venice, #1512; May 15-22 #1514, Rome to Barcelona; May 29-June 8, #1516, Lisbon to London; Oct. 20-Nov. 10, #1530-31, Naples to Malaga;.

These six different "gaps" might mean private charters or maybe it will be during one of these times when they will work in the time for such refurbishing work. Why is this of interest to us? We are considering while on the Cloud in early 2015 to do a booking for one of the ten-day Cape Town to Cape Town bookings on this ship for Feb. 2016 in and around South Africa.

Any added insights for this potential work on the Silver Cloud?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 160,811 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We are considering while on the Cloud in early 2015 to do a booking for one of the ten-day Cape Town to Cape Town bookings on this ship for Feb. 2016 in and around South Africa.

Terry, check out the Cloud in late Dec, 20th 2015. It has a great Africa trip with an overnight at Richards Bay so you can add one more mid voyage safari before you get to Cape Town. This is the one we will do with a 15 day pre safari.

I understood that the next dry dock for the Cloud was after the October 2015 Venice to Naples 1579 (where the map shows it going to Civitavecchia) and before the Malaga to Tema 1532 (where the map has the Cloud leaving from Barcelona). Between 1579 ending on October 20 and 1532 departing, there is a 20 day gap. Probably more than enough, given that the big refurbishment of the bathrooms was done inthe last dry dock

Terry, check out the Cloud in late Dec, 20th 2015. It has a great Africa trip with an overnight at Richards Bay so you can add one more mid voyage safari before you get to Cape Town. This is the one we will do with a 15 day pre safari.

tsavorite: I understood that the next dry dock for the Cloud was after the October 2015 Venice to Naples 1579 (where the map shows it going to Civitavecchia) and before the Malaga to Tema 1532 (where the map has the Cloud leaving from Barcelona). Between 1579 ending on October 20 and 1532 departing' date='[b'] there is a 20 day gap[/b]. Probably more than enough, given that the big refurbishment of the bathrooms was done inthe last dry dock

Appreciate the suggestion for late December 2015 on the Silver Cloud doing around South Africa. BUT for us, doing such travel over that holiday period does not work well. We have two super cute grandsons, ages two and four, plus other family and holiday interests/needs. Doing a cruise over that period does not work for us. We need that cruise relief in warmer areas in late January and/or February. Enjoy your cruise and look forward to hear details from that "adventure"!!

Agree with tsavorite that the Oct. 20 period seems to fit for when Silversea would do any major dry dock activities then. Look forward to learning more during our upcoming Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 81,894 views for this fun posting.

"Having dinner the other night with the Hotel Manager on board and he shared; a new ship will be built slightly larger and added one more deck then the Spirit. Also modifying the dining areas and adding more dining venues. The ship will be called the Spirit 2 and hopefully be christened in December 2015 on the same date the Spirit was done."

I heard this same story on the Spirit about 18 months ago. Looking at the industry website for new cruise ship builds shows exactly nothing.

Well, it was Fincantieri that built Silver Spirit. I checked their website and there is no press release related to a new ship. All the other press releases for the new Viking ships, Regent ship and Seabourn ship are there but nothing for Silversea. Have to conclude there is no new ship being built unless someone can provide clear evidence other than a conversation over dinner.

Having dinner the other night with the Hotel Manager on board and he shared; a new ship will be built slightly larger and added one more deck then the Spirit. Also modifying the dining areas and adding more dining venues. The ship will be called the Spirit 2 and hopefully be christened in December 2015 on the same date the Spirit was done.

Planning was to add another large ship to round out the fleet. Having small ships for guest requiring pampering, another for exploration type guests and yet another for younger cruisers looking for more options onboard. They plan on not losing customers to the likes of Vikings new sea vessels. Personally I would like the Shadow and Whisper to get a full makeover first but that’s the latest…

FYI: he also shared with me: that there will be no more, one night poolside BBQ due to health reasons, no sneeze guards protecting the food. Too bad, I really enjoyed those events….

How much had the Hotel manager to drink?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are beginning to feel a little isolated on this forum. Are we the only ones who really like the Spirit and would find the prospect of Spirit II qiute exciting?

No to part one of your question but also no to part two.:D

We very much liked the Spirit, and have more nights onboard than any other ship, but we don't very much like Silversea. So Spirit II isn't exciting to us.

If I hadn't gone off Silversea and IF it's true that this new ship is currently being built and will be bigger than Spirit, I wouldn't want to sail on it anyway. Spirit is the largest ship we've sailed on and I doubt we'll go bigger in the future.

It doesn't matter what everyone else likes though, does it? What matters is what you like . I used to feel the same way about Spirit as you when I was posting here on the SS board, but in the end, it's your money, nobody else's.

We are beginning to feel a little isolated on this forum. Are we the only ones who really like the Spirit and would find the prospect of Spirit II qiute exciting?

You are not alone. If they can fix the interior design kinks and go back to the classic layout I would be rather excited.

"Having dinner the other night with the Hotel Manager on board and he shared; a new ship will be built slightly larger and added one more deck then the Spirit. Also modifying the dining areas and adding more dining venues. The ship will be called the Spirit 2 and hopefully be christened in December 2015 on the same date the Spirit was done."

I heard this same story on the Spirit about 18 months ago. Looking at the industry website for new cruise ship builds shows exactly nothing.

Think you have it right, it seems every few months the rumor is SS will build a new ship and the company ends up buying a used model. I also tried to find a new build it may being built but at this time not under the family name. Also the Spirit christening was not a particularly great event out of Barcelona.