Tours to Berlin

Aruba76

We are planning our tours now for our May Baltic cruise and are trying to decide whether to use SPB Tours (we are planning to use them for St. Petersburg) or a Celebrity tour for Berlin. Because it is a 3 hour drive from the port, we are inclined to use a Celebrity tour so we don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time. Does anyone have any insight on which one to use? We would prefer the smaller SPB tour to the large bus tour from Celebrity, but is the possibility of getting stuck in traffic and not making it back to the ship on time worth the smaller group size? Thank you for any help you can give us.

Are you sure you want the hassle of a Berlin tour? Suppose you dock in Warnemünde. Warnemünde and nearby Rostock are such lovely, beautiful places with lots to see and do. In your shoes I would rather spend my time there instead half of the day in a bus or train.

If you need suggestions please post here. I live only 1.5 hrs away and know the place quite well.

If you want to go to Berlin:

Safest way is the Celebrity tour. There is a train to Berlin but - as we experience right now - our railway can be chaos in case of strikes or construction. Same for the highway to Berlin. Crowded with a risk for traffic jams especially in the German school holidays. There are school holidays part of May 2015 in parts of Germany. When exactly is your cruise?

Are you sure you want the hassle of a Berlin tour? Suppose you dock in Warnemünde. Warnemünde and nearby Rostock are such lovely, beautiful places with lots to see and do. In your shoes I would rather spend my time there instead half of the day in a bus or train.

If you need suggestions please post here. I live only 1.5 hrs away and know the place quite well.

Totally agree. We rented a car (available right at the terminal) and visited Rostock and Schwerin, spent a good bit of time in both, and had plenty of time to spare (driving time round-trip was less than 2 1/2 hours). If we return to Warnemunde, we still would not do Berlin. Would much prefer spending a few days--as opposed to a few hours--there.

We went to Berlin with SPB Tours last year and thought the time there and back were worth it. That's a very personal decision, some think it's worth the long travel time others not. We did extensive research and felt very safe time wise with SPB and were glad we went with a smaller group. Just our experience, but we would go with them again.

The tour gave us a wonderful overview of Berlin and we hope to be able to return again someday.

We went in May of 2013. We took the Celebrity trip to Berlin. The 3 hr train ride in wasn't bad at all, as you're in compartments looking out the windows.

We had a great bus driver for 6 hours. The tour wasn't crowded and the driver gave us a lot of flexibility as to certain things to see. The ride back was mostly spent dozing, so that was good, too. The return is way late.

You just have to decide if you'll return to Germany to spend a few days in Berlin. We figured we'd never be back and didn't want to spend the day in the countryside, as nice as it was. People with us did stay local to the ship and enjoyed it very much as they had been to Berlin previously.

Jeff

We took a ship's tour to Berlin that had a chartered train. It was on Princess, but it sounds from the thread above that Celebrity might offer it. DH just said yesterday how much he loved the train ride! It was very pleasant and we saw a lot of Germany. The tour in Berlin was also good. It was a long day, but we thought it was worth it. We had no worries about getting back.

I agree with others that Warnemunde and Rostock are lovely, and we opted to stay "local" to the ship and see those towns, then go back to Germany another time to spend several days in Berlin. We were able to spend the morning in Warnemunde, get back on the ship for lunch, then take the short train ride to Rostock for the afternoon and early evening. We were back on board for a late dinner (it was open seating for everyone that night), and enjoyed the blissfully empty ship until the Berlin tours started getting back around 11pm.

If it helps, relatives of mine were on a Celebrity Baltic cruise and decided that Berlin warranted more than a day trip. They stayed locally in Warnemunde and Rostock, and thoroughly enjoyed.

They decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of a long drive there and back, even though they have never been to Berlin and would like to visit.

We opted to take an SPB tour from Warnemunde to Berlin in June 2011 and I easily organized a group of 18 from our roll call. We enjoyed our taste of Berlin so much that we returned for six days on a land trip in May 2013. Because Warnemunde was the first stop after our Copenhagen departure, the bus ride was a fabulous opportunity to get to know our fellow passengers, and the time flew.

Our guide in Berlin was an American living there, and I was impressed at how much we got to see in seven hours there and how much we were able to see by walking rather than riding on the bus. We even got some time at the wonderful Pergamon to enjoy its highlights at the end of our visit.

Edited by CintiPam

We opted to take an SPB tour from Warnemunde to Berlin in June 2011 and I easily organized a group of 18 from our roll call. We enjoyed our taste of Berlin so much that we returned for six days on a land trip in May 2013. Because Warnemunde was the first stop after our Copenhagen departure, the bus ride was a fabulous opportunity to get to know our fellow passengers, and the time flew.

Our guide in Berlin was an American living there, and I was impressed at how much we got to see in seven hours there and how much we were able to see by walking rather than riding on the bus. We even got some time at the wonderful Pergamon to enjoy its highlights at the end of our visit.

Hi Pam, I'm putting together a group for a Berlin tour through SPB for next June, unfortunately the Pergamon will be closed but we're planning on visiting the Neues museum. Could I have the name of your guide, have read on these boards that Heather was excellent for Berlin, would love to have your input too. You say you ware walking rather than riding the bus, how did that work, could please tell me how the tour was structured, itinerary, etc? Thanks in advance:)

We went to Berlin with SPB Tours last year and thought the time there and back were worth it. That's a very personal decision, some think it's worth the long travel time others not. We did extensive research and felt very safe time wise with SPB and were glad we went with a smaller group. Just our experience, but we would go with them again.

The tour gave us a wonderful overview of Berlin and we hope to be able to return again someday.

We did the same a few years ago. Its a long day but for some its the only time they will get a chance to see Berlin. SPB got us back with tons of time to spare as our ship left at 11:00 pm and we were back around 7:00.

Hi Pam, I'm putting together a group for a Berlin tour through SPB for next June, unfortunately the Pergamon will be closed but we're planning on visiting the Neues museum. Could I have the name of your guide, have read on these boards that Heather was excellent for Berlin, would love to have your input too. You say you ware walking rather than riding the bus, how did that work, could please tell me how the tour was structured, itinerary, etc? Thanks in advance:)

We had Heather for our tour and she is excellent. For us the bus would drive to a place, drop us off and we would walk for a while and the bus would pick us back up.

Yes, her name is Heather, and she was fantastic. Really did a great job explaining German history to many who were not familiar in a sensible order. As Kirk states, we were able to do a lot of walking because many of the major sights are close together. For example, we got off by the Reichstag, made our way to the Brandenburg Gate with some exploration around there, had lunch in 30 minutes (pre-ordered that morning and phoned in by Heather at my request to save time), visited the Holocaust Memorial and then got picked up for our next stop. Similar chance to explore around Checkpoint Charlie and then again around Museum Island.

Edited by CintiPam

Yes, her name is Heather, and she was fantastic. Really did a great job explaining German history to many who were not familiar in a sensible order. As Kirk states, we were able to do a lot of walking because many of the major sights are close together. For example, we got off by the Reichstag, made our way to the Brandenburg Gate with some exploration around there, had lunch in 30 minutes (pre-ordered that morning and phoned in by Heather at my request to save time), visited the Holocaust Memorial and then got picked up for our next stop. Similar chance to explore around Checkpoint Charlie and then again around Museum Island.

Thanks a ton Pam & Kirk, will ask for Heather, have heard her mentioned by others too on this board. We wanted to visit the museum during the lunch hour but you seem to have had a short lunch break plus done the museum, we'll try and work it out the same way. BTW, I know this isn't the appropriate thread but any names for St Petersburg, have heard Tatiana's very good. Thanks again, will report later next year about our tours:)

Hi,

I am going to the Baltic with RCCL next July. I'm sure the Berlin tour - either with Alla or the ship - is nice. But I'm a bit put off by the thought of 6 hours of bus or train transfer, and then 4 more hours sightseeing on a bus. While I'm sure it's all interesting, I was wondering about other options. I see that Rostock is nice from what has been said here, and also Schwerin has been recommended. I know that RCCL had a tour on their website called "Lubeck and Wismar - Treasures of the Baltic", but now when I checked today it no longer appears with their list of other excursions leaving out of Warnemunde. Any suggestions appreciated! There are already so many long excursions that I'm looking at for this cruise, so I'm not sure that I want to add the 12-hour Berlin tour yet.

Thanks,

Keith

AntjeG...would love to hear more suggestions from you. I will be in Warnemunde in early August. Besides Berlin, the ship excursion offerings are a day at Schwerin Castle, and one that appears to be a city tour of Warnemunde and "rural Mecklenburg". Another takes the "Molli Steam Train" and also does Mecklenburg. Says it includes Heiligendamm and some free time in Kuehlungsborn. The other option, which is the one I mentioned in my previous post that suddenly does not appear on RCCL's website, is one that goes to Lubeck and Wismar.

Thanks,

Keith

Edited by three4rd

This is obviously a matter of personal preference. But I can advise that on our recent cruise I arranged for a private guide for a group of six on a trip to Berlin. Travel time was two-and-a-half hours each way. We spent a tad less than seven hours in the city, and in our case, I wish we had spent more time walking through the Mitte area of Berlin.

Nonetheless, the day in Berlin for me was one of the high points of the cruise. And the day after the Warnemunde port of call, we were in Travemunde, which allowed a visit to Lubeck, and I have to tell you that even Lubeck (much less Warnemunde or Rostock) in no way compares to Berlin.

Keep in mind that today Berlin gets more tourists than Rome, and on a Baltic cruise, the only other place you will visit that comes close to having experienced as much history over the last century as Berlin is St. Petersburg.

If you have been to Berlin before, I understand. Or if you have plans in the near future to visit Berlin for an extended period of time, I again understand not making the trip to Berlin. But if you have never been to Berlin before and you may never otherwise see Berlin, I strongly recommend making the Berlin excursion.

If you have been to Berlin before, I understand. Or if you have plans in the near future to visit Berlin for an extended period of time, I again understand not making the trip to Berlin. But if you have never been to Berlin before and you may never otherwise see Berlin, I strongly recommend making the Berlin excursion.

Well put, Reggiefan. At the time we took our tour from Warnemunde to Berlin, we were not sure we ever would visit this region again, so our port day offered a great opportunity. As it turned out, we were so impressed by our day there with SPB's Heather that we spent six days in Berlin on a land trip in May 2013 (combined with two days in Dresden and six in Prague). Berlin is a fascinating city; also very welcoming and reasonably priced.

Edited by CintiPam

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. I believe I'll still opt for something shorter and closer to the ship - Rostock, Warnemunde, etc. especially since I already have several really long days booked - the 30 hours with Alla at SPB, along with several others that run between 6-8 hours. I am doing an excursion in every port, and don't want to turn this trip into something that becomes totally exhausting. I guess it's also that, if the trip wasn't going near Berlin, it is not someplace I'd ever seriously consider going to unless it was arbitrarily part of a land tour that I was signed up for. I see that Alla actually offers an 18-hour (!!) excursion to Moscow...leaves the ship around 6:30 a.m. and gets back at midnight. Now that's hardcore.

Edited by three4rd

Hi,

I am going to the Baltic with RCCL next July. I'm sure the Berlin tour - either with Alla or the ship - is nice. But I'm a bit put off by the thought of 6 hours of bus or train transfer, and then 4 more hours sightseeing on a bus. While I'm sure it's all interesting, I was wondering about other options. I see that Rostock is nice from what has been said here, and also Schwerin has been recommended. I know that RCCL had a tour on their website called "Lubeck and Wismar - Treasures of the Baltic", but now when I checked today it no longer appears with their list of other excursions leaving out of Warnemunde. Any suggestions appreciated! There are already so many long excursions that I'm looking at for this cruise, so I'm not sure that I want to add the 12-hour Berlin tour yet.

Thanks,

Keith

Hello Kieth, welcome to the forum.

You can find more information about towns within 1-2 hours from Warnemünde on the thread 'Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy' (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963750) along with comments from other cruisers.

Most cruise lines offer tours but all these towns are very easy to DIY by public transport.

I am very happy to answer specific questions about NE Germany on the above thread. More information on what to do and see, addresses of useful web sites and details on how to get there from Warnemünde are on my web site.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

The Molli train is easily done on your own! In fact most of what is offered by the ship for the Warnemunde area is really easy to do on your own, with local transportation. Anni has train schedules and fares posted on her website and how to get around the area.

I liked Warnemunde, I was in the area for a land vacation. I would recommend also visiting the Medieval UNESCO area of Wismar with its brick architecture. A very short day spent there and a fish sandwich purchased from one of the boats along the harborside. If you need a relaxing, unhurried day to rejuvenate and gear up for other long port excursions this is the place to do it.

Thanks a ton Pam & Kirk, will ask for Heather, have heard her mentioned by others too on this board. We wanted to visit the museum during the lunch hour but you seem to have had a short lunch break plus done the museum, we'll try and work it out the same way. BTW, I know this isn't the appropriate thread but any names for St Petersburg, have heard Tatiana's very good. Thanks again, will report later next year about our tours:)

Heather is an outstanding guide. Our bus ride was comfortable too. We had no plans on visiting Germany again, but I know we made the right choice with SPB and Heather ( we requested to be in her group). As far as lunch goes, Heather will bring you to a place for a traditional German lunch. Of course, Heather will also explain so much during the day about the horrific past of Berlin, Cold War Germany, and even the rebuilding of the city. Enjoy your vacation. These are amazing cities.