Kauai Backcountry Tubing

olemissreb

Has anyone done the mountain tubing tour with this company? If so, could an 81yo woman do this and enjoy it? This looks like such fun. I know my boys and I would enjoy it, but I don't really want to just leave my mom to sit and watch us - she'll be doing that in Maui as we zipline.

We won't be there for another 2 years, but I'm just trying to get ideas of things to do and their costs so I can present it all to my mom.

Has anyone done the mountain tubing tour with this company? If so, could an 81yo woman do this and enjoy it? This looks like such fun. I know my boys and I would enjoy it, but I don't really want to just leave my mom to sit and watch us - she'll be doing that in Maui as we zipline.

Just how active/limber/flexible is your mother? Can she take a bumpy ride to the take-off point? Will the cold water and colder caves bother her? Is she claustrophobic? Will she be OK if she gets separated from you while tubing? There is a lot more to this than just slowly floating along.

Just how active/limber/flexible is your mother? Can she take a bumpy ride to the take-off point? Will the cold water and colder caves bother her? Is she claustrophobic? Will she be OK if she gets separated from you while tubing? There is a lot more to this than just slowly floating along.

Thanks for the questions as I didn't know truly what to expect. I thought it might be along the lines of what we did in Dominica - warm water, little rapids, pretty much smooth sailing. Pretty sure she's not claustrophobic and the caves wouldn't bother her, but she's not all that flexible anymore and the cold water may bother her.

Have you done this excursion? If so, how rough was it and how cold is the water?

We did it in August and enjoyed it. There are some pictures in my review (the link is in my signature if you're interested.) It was a very calm float, with one little drop. You're not allowed to say the water is cold- you have to say things like "it's refreshing!" and "it's exhilarating!"

The Backcountry crew was amazing at helping people get in and out of the tubes. I was a little nervous and watched tons of youtube videos beforehand. I wish I could figure out how to direct you to the videos I took of it!

I wouldn't say the water is rough, but she probably would have a hard time with the temperature. There were people of all ages, some in great shape and others (like us) not so much!

Mostly it was just a calm float through beautiful scenery. I suggest going to youtube and watching the videos to help you decide.

We did it in August and enjoyed it. There are some pictures in my review (the link is in my signature if you're interested.) It was a very calm float, with one little drop. You're not allowed to say the water is cold- you have to say things like "it's refreshing!" and "it's exhilarating!"

The Backcountry crew was amazing at helping people get in and out of the tubes. I was a little nervous and watched tons of youtube videos beforehand. I wish I could figure out how to direct you to the videos I took of it!

I wouldn't say the water is rough, but she probably would have a hard time with the temperature. There were people of all ages, some in great shape and others (like us) not so much!

Mostly it was just a calm float through beautiful scenery. I suggest going to youtube and watching the videos to help you decide.

Thank you for this information. Was the water "refreshing" because it was warm outside? Did it feel good or were you turning blue by the end? My youngest son wants to do this in his "speedo" (he's a year round swimmer, so this is not too surprising), but if he'll be "blue" by the time we're done, we may have to just consider going in shorts and t-shirts and changing at the end.

Thank you for this information. Was the water "refreshing" because it was warm outside? Did it feel good or were you turning blue by the end? My youngest son wants to do this in his "speedo" (he's a year round swimmer, so this is not too surprising), but if he'll be "blue" by the time we're done, we may have to just consider going in shorts and t-shirts and changing at the end.

The air temperatures were above normal when we were there, but that water was cold!! The guides joke about it and give you lots of euphemisms to say, instead of using the word cold. Everyone got used to it quickly. My 10 year old son didn't complain about it at all. Once you're in the tube, it isn't even noticeable, and then when you get our, you warm up very quickly, at least we did! No need to worry about turning blue! :D

We wore long sleeve shirts to prevent chafing from the tube.

Just to repeat what others have said the water is not rough at all, and while not warm is not cold enough to be an issue. The guides are really good, very helpful, will certainly keep an eye on your mom, and for the most part you are surrounded by probably another 30 odd people.

We had a great time. Good advice to wear a T shirt.

The air temperatures were above normal when we were there, but that water was cold!! The guides joke about it and give you lots of euphemisms to say, instead of using the word cold. Everyone got used to it quickly. My 10 year old son didn't complain about it at all. Once you're in the tube, it isn't even noticeable, and then when you get our, you warm up very quickly, at least we did! No need to worry about turning blue! :D

We wore long sleeve shirts to prevent chafing from the tube.

Just to repeat what others have said the water is not rough at all, and while not warm is not cold enough to be an issue. The guides are really good, very helpful, will certainly keep an eye on your mom, and for the most part you are surrounded by probably another 30 odd people.

We had a great time. Good advice to wear a T shirt.

Thank you both! I'm going to try and talk my mom into doing this. It will definitely be different and fun and a very unique way of seeing some of Kauai. Not sure what time to do it - when we first get to port, afternoon of the first day, evening first day, or early morning second day - got to figure out when the majority of the cruise passengers would go (it's $79/person cheaper going on our own as opposed to thru the cruise line - although the cruise line does provide transportation there). We'll also want to get over and see Waimea Canyon and maybe some waterfalls. Looks like this might be another island where I rent a car.

Hi everyone, was thinking of doing the tubing with my 21 year old daughter, looks like great fun. What is the best way to get to the location, was thinking of taxi, or is that too far and therefore too expensive? Didn't really want to hire a car.

Hi everyone, was thinking of doing the tubing with my 21 year old daughter, looks like great fun. What is the best way to get to the location, was thinking of taxi, or is that too far and therefore too expensive? Didn't really want to hire a car.

It's not that far from where the ship docks. As memory serves I would say about 15 min by car. Never taken a cab there but it shouldn't be very expensive.