Seahorse farm in Kona

lizbeth21

We went in 2008 and found it to be very interesting. It was fun putting your hands in the tank and hoping a seahorse will wrap his tail around your fingers (thinking your fingers were coral).

If you are renting a car, it is an easy drive. I am sure booking directly will be cheaper than an NCL excursion.

Edited by pizzalady1

My wife and I also did the Seahorse Farm back in 2008. And I plan to go again this June while spending a week in Kona with some friends. It is a good time. While they will talk about ecological effects that seahorses exist in, it's not overly preachy. You'll learn a lot about them.

Beware you must book an appointment before hand if not on a POA tour. You also must arrive at least 15 minutes before the tour begins because you must wash your hands before hand. You'll get a chance to feed the very little ones and as mentioned you'll also have a chance to put your hands in the water and let an adult wrap its tail around your finger.

We went in 2008 and found it to be very interesting. It was fun putting your hands in the tank and hoping a seahorse will wrap his tail around your fingers (thinking your fingers were coral).

If you are renting a car, it is an easy drive. I am sure booking directly will be cheaper than an NCL excursion.

My wife and I also did the Seahorse Farm back in 2008. And I plan to go again this June while spending a week in Kona with some friends. It is a good time. While they will talk about ecological effects that seahorses exist in, it's not overly preachy. You'll learn a lot about them.

Beware you must book an appointment before hand if not on a POA tour. You also must arrive at least 15 minutes before the tour begins because you must wash your hands before hand. You'll get a chance to feed the very little ones and as mentioned you'll also have a chance to put your hands in the water and let an adult wrap its tail around your finger.

Thank you both so much!! I'm so excited to have a chance to have a seahorse on my fingers!! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did it last summer and enjoyed it. There are some pictures in my POA review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252994

It's a short trip, but it really was a once in a lifetime experience, and we learned a lot about seahorses. Very very memorable!

Your review of the cruise and pictures were great thanks so much!! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just returned from a cruise to/from Hawaii and did this excursion in Kona. It was great. Yes, it was expensive through the cruise line (HAL - $70pp). I didn't want to bother renting a car and doing it on my own, though. They appear to have limited hours for tours so you might want to check the website: http://www.seahorse.com/ and get your tickets in advance.

I found it to be worthwhile. We saw seahorses that were born that morning, their parents, and other adult seahorses. The colourful seahorses were in tanks behind the gift shop. It was an enjoyable tour and quite educational.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the Sea Horse farm directly to find out the best way to get to them, we'll be there this coming Sept.

They encouraged me to use the ship tour. They said a taxi would cost about $30 each way and that we'd need to make our own arrangements, they do not handle taxis.

If you add the $30 to the cost of the entrance fee ($40), then you might as well use the ship, IMO.

I am not a fan of ship tours but did book this excursion with Celebrity.

I contacted the Sea Horse farm directly to find out the best way to get to them, we'll be there this coming Sept.

They encouraged me to use the ship tour. They said a taxi would cost about $30 each way and that we'd need to make our own arrangements, they do not handle taxis.

If you add the $30 to the cost of the entrance fee ($40), then you might as well use the ship, IMO.

I am not a fan of ship tours but did book this excursion with Celebrity.

The only way it works to do this independently would be if you already have a car rented.

Edited by pizzalady1