2017 Feb. from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires- BLOG

HazelButtercup

Hi from the Quest! Departing today so I want to start a thread of my experiences as we go. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer from my point of view as a first-tme cruiser on Seabourn.

We were able to get on the ship at noon- Collonade and Pool Grill were open for lunch. It was SO NICE outside that we wanted to take advantage of that so we ate outside next to the pool. Suites were available at about 2:30.

Delayed departure because of some problem with waste disposal (now 9pm) but it doesn't really affect us (yet...). Drill at 4:30pm- no life jackets were required. Jackets, hats, and backpacks were already in our rooms. I think they are nice quality and, luckily, fit us both.

So far, everything is very good: fresh food, cleanliness, ship layout, ..., There are no children under 13. At first look, average age is about 65-70 and everyone is smiling and friendly.

I feel like I brought too much stuff, but I'm prepared for all weather! We filled all the drawers and cabinets. Two quick tips to bring (we didn't); if you have an iPhone with a lightning port, bring a converter for old iPhone for new iPhone so you can put your iPhone in their little dock that allows you to play your music through their speakers. Also, for US residents, bring an international converter in order to use the outlet at the bar. (The other 2 outlets, one at the vanity and one next to the dining table) both have US and the international outlets.)

Busy first day- right now, listening to summary of our trip in the salon- very good info.

I'll keep this up as long as I have internet...

Hazelbuttercup,

I will look forward to your reports so we can bring back recent fond memories. Glad all is shipshape so far. And might I clarify your comment about the "converter." I think you mean adapter plug not converter. All I needed to charge my i phone, iPad and camera in the outlet by the bar on on recent Quest cruise was the plug as there was no issue with the converting the current. Have a terrific cruise and say hello to the penguins for me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hazelbuttercup,

I will look forward to your reports so we can bring back recent fond memories. Glad all is shipshape so far. And might I clarify your comment about the "converter." I think you mean adapter plug not converter. All I needed to charge my i phone, iPad and camera in the outlet by the bar on on recent Quest cruise was the plug as there was no issue with the converting the current. Have a terrific cruise and say hello to the penguins for me!

Yes, Chairsin, ADAPTER, not converter- thanks.

Are you saying the outlet at your bar was for a US plug - 2 flat prongs? The outlet at our bar is only for the plug with 2 round prongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought of something else to bring that would be nice- a battery operated clock (or watch) to keep on the bed stand to check the time at night. There is no power at the bed stands.

Our ship left Valparaiso at 10:30PM. The captain said we will arrive Puerto Montt a little later than expected but it should now affect excursions.

One interesting note: Newt Gingrich and his wife are on our ship.

Typo on last post: late arrival to Puerto Montt should NOT affect excursions:

Ate at Thomas Keller- The Grill. Service was formal but ended up being more fun and familiar as the night went on and the staff figured out we were casual-style travelers. My friend loved the lamb - perfectly cooked for her- and although it was meant for two, the portion wasn't as big as she was worried about. I had the special appetizer, salmon tartare, rich and delicious. Dover sole was amazing, but again, the sauce was very rich. I'll be asking for all the sauces on the side from now on. Our guys said the ribeyes, although on the smaller side – 8 ounces, were perfectly cooked. Each person is allowed three reservations per leg of the cruise in The Grill but on the first night, we decided to try for an additional night because not too many people were there – we lucked out and got in. The regular free/included alcohol is available, but they encourage the premium drinks to go with the special experience.

About cell/data service: be careful if you don't want to be charged by your carrier. Turn your device on airplane mode or you will be automatically connected to "Cellular at Sea" carrier. Even if you turn data off, you could receive phone calls or text messages so you would be charged for the international package. Carriers are all different so check with yours before you leave.

Sorry for any typos/grammar issues. On my phone on the treadmill now trying to work off some of those sauces.

I'm on board as well [emoji846]

In the shore excursions presentation just now we were told that the departure times of all the tours will be pushed back given our late arrival in Puerto Montt. One tour will be altered quite a bit as it no longer fits into the reduced time in port.

I'm greatly looking forward to my wild water rafting trip tomorrow :)

Nice sea day today... I already spotted whales, hundreds of seals, albatrosses, etc. It's overcast but dry and a pleasant 18 / 65 degrees. The ocean is smooth as silk. Long may it last!

My iPhone currently tells me it should be sunny when we're in Puerto Montt, Chiloe as well as Punta Arenas so fingers crossed it stays that way!

Floris

I'm on board as well [emoji846]

I'm on board as well

I'm greatly looking forward to my wild water rafting trip tomorrow :)

Floris

Hi Floris!

Sounds like you will be a bit more adventurous than I will so I'll be interested to hear about the rafting trip and other excursions you will be doing.

Enjoying the calm seas for now – overcast, but still stunningly beautiful views. The Mediterranean menu at Colonnade was too good. Going to the treadmill now so I can have grilled Maine lobster in The Restaurant tonight... maybe even dessert...

Hi HazelButtercup

Sound like you are having a great time

We join the ship in BA on the 23rd

A few questions

Can you ask the sommelier for a list of the pouring wines and post it

Who is the cruise director, dining room manager,chef?

Is there a major crew change when the ship gets to BA ?

Many Thanks

I don't know if there will be a major crew change but Captain Dag and Cruise Director Jan Stearman are both leaving in Buenos Aires. The entire expedition team is also leaving, except for Iggy. A new, smaller expedition team is boarding in Rio for the Amazon.

We're arriving in Puerto Montt right now under partly cloudy skies. The weather forecast for today as well as Chiloe tomorrow is looking really good. I'm going wild water rafting today (wish me luck!) and will just take it easy tomorrow and walk around Chiloe by myself.

I'm a solo traveler and have been very impressed by Seabourn's hosted tables. I had the pleasure of dining with assistant cruise director Robert the first night, with cruise director Jan last night and with one of the expedition team leaders tonight. It's a very nice way to settle in and meet fellow guests.

Floris

Edited by florisdekort

Hi HazelButtercup

A few questions

Many Thanks

Hi 800below,

Working on getting answers to your questions... they will send me a list of the pouring wines- I'll post that when I get it.

CREW NAMES/TURNOVER- Yes, as florisdekort said, Jan Stearman is cruise director. I met with someone in the square this morning and he will send me the names of the restaurant manager and chef and try to answer the question about turn-over of crew.

GETTING ANSWERS- It's not very easy to get detailed answers... a lot of the staff is new and although everyone is very polite and friendly, they don't know a lot off the top of their heads. One thing that is bugging me is that my red message light has been blinking since I arrived. I asked for help a few times and they just keep telling me there is a message waiting. I have no new messages and I've tried everything including resetting the password, recording a new message, etc. It just seems to be a glitch in the matrix...

STAYING TOGETHER WITH FRIENDS- We are traveling with another couple and we've been trying to make sure our reservations are "linked" so we will be together on excursions and Antarctica landings. For regular excursions, all you have to do is show up together, stay together and you will be together. For Antartica excursions, we will each receive a colored arm-band the night before. To be put in the same color group, we needed to fill out the form (we got it in our room on day 2) that asked if we wanted to be included in the group directory (you can check yes or no) but at the bottom of the form, it asked who you are traveling with. They apparently use this to make sure you get the same color arm-band. We'll see if that works...

SEASICK...? A little rougher seas than I expected yesterday- the crew said that it was nothing. Wasn't feeling sick yet, but my mind was playing tricks on me so I took a half of a Bonine and felt great within a half hour. Doctor said to take 1/2 a pill twice a day to get benefits with minimal side effects and that worked perfectly.

PUERTO MONTT- Will go on shore to walk around Puerto Montt after grabbing tacos at The Patio for lunch. We plan on just walking to the main square and seeing the Cathedral.

PENGUINS- Talked to some of the expedition crew last night in the hall and heard gruesome stories about birth, life, and death. They are all very animated and fun. 🐧 ♥️

Great update HazelButtercup! The waves yesterday were only 4 feet which is indeed nothing but it's a smaller ship than I'm used to so I feel the motion a bit more as well. I didn't get sick though. We'll mostly be in the fjords now until we depart Ushuaia.

Re the phone try listening to message then deleting it may be and old message from previous cruise, I think that worked for me.

Jan is wonderful we have had her on a previous cruise sorry she is leaving as we board, I suspect there will be major changes

Hi HazelButtercup

A few questions

Many Thanks

I got the list of wines being served. Here's a photo...

(sorry, first time attaching photo – hope this works)

IMG_1207.jpg

Well done!

Thank you for going to so much trouble to track this down,

There is certainly some quite drinkable wines there! Which is your favorite?

The Champagne is always very drinkable and available

I'm a white wine fan (I really like California Chardonnays but I'll drink any, even Pinot Grigio!) so I'll try to get through all the whites. Husband is a fan of bold reds (usually California Cabs) but he'll drink anything also so he'll get through the red list.

We have also liked the Thomas Keller drink suggestions- old 1950s-1960s cocktails and also other cocktails that we wouldn't normally order. Last night, our guys were having fun drinking the Nutty Irishman.

Re the phone try listening to message then deleting it may be and old message from previous cruise, I think that worked for me.

Jan is wonderful we have had her on a previous cruise sorry she is leaving as we board, I suspect there will be major changes

Yup, deleted messages. No messages, light still blinking.

Thank you so much for the Wine List: in 180+ I'd only heard about but never seen one of these and, so, will print out and have a good read.

HazelButtercup, Sweetie, I tried everything too and, like you seem to be, I'm fairly resourseful: however, complete failure for 21 days.

But, now, on reflection, there is probably only one way to kill the red light: masking tape/blu-tac etc.

The wine list changed substantially from that on our Holiday cruise. While they had some Chilean wine on our trip it it was not the selection on the list just posted. To those on the ship now if you like red wine do try the Coyam. We stopped at the winery (Emiliano) on our way from Santiago to Valparaiso and tried it and were surprised to see Seabourn had bought some for our cruise.

Looking forward to hearing more about your cruise especially as you head to the white continent.

We arrived in Chiloe on schedule this morning under a clear blue sky. It's now 12:30 pm and 22 degrees C / 71 F. I feel very fortunate; long may the good weather last! I spent the morning walking around town. The large wooden church, the colorful houses, the local food market - it's all beautiful. Looking forward to our afternoon of scenic cruising through the fjords.

One thing surprised me - the block party is on the schedule for this evening. I thought Seabourn dropped that awkward nonsense but alas, it's still there.

Floris

Thank you so much for the Wine List: in 180+ I'd only heard about but never seen one of these and, so, will print out and have a good read.

HazelButtercup, Sweetie, I tried everything too and, like you seem to be, I'm fairly resourseful: however, complete failure for 21 days.

But, now, on reflection, there is probably only one way to kill the red light: masking tape/blu-tac etc.

The red light is off! I got a new message, listened to it, deleted it, and it finally recognizes I don't have any messages. I'm not holding out hope that it is permanently fixed but I'll put away the tape for now.