Tipping in India

1982CruzStart

Does anyone know if it is okay to tip in USD in India or do we need to buy Rupees for that purpose? If we need Rupees do we get them before leaving home or is it easy and affordable to purchase near the cruise port? Any advice regarding tipping is very welcome.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I have organized four tours for our ports in India (Celebrity Century in March). All the tours requested payment in US dollars. Two thirds of the US dollars in the World are outside the USA. Dollars work just fine.

I have organized four tours for our ports in India (Celebrity Century in March). All the tours requested payment in US dollars. Two thirds of the US dollars in the World are outside the USA. Dollars work just fine.

Fine for some tour companies, you won't be fine with taxi drivers, drinks, fruit sellers, etc. OP asked about tipping:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
USA currency is fine.

We have used it easily and never obtained local currency in India and made purchases with it as we did with taxis.

Keith

Keith:

Do taxis generally take credit cards as well?

Felicia

While US dollars are OK, I always have some of the local currency available when I travel internationally. When one tips in non-native currency, the person receiving the money has to then pay to have it converted into their own money. In my opinion, that dilutes the value of the tip.

You do not tip taxi drivers in India, though you can tip rickshaw drivers. You do tip people like porters at a railway station and you most definitely tip them in local currency. Personally I wouldn't tip someone who brings my luggage up to my hotel room and I certainly wouldn't tip any restaurant or pool waiters in hotels if a service charge was added. India is a very complex country so please be aware that showering everyone in dollar bills isn't a good idea.

People normally tip only a few $. As rkacruiser said by the time they converted their tip, they would lose some much needed Rupees in the conversion. And just because they drive a taxi or work in a hotel doesn't mean that they are getting a decent wage, far from it, so every tip helps.

If an Indian was to try and pay a cab fare in downtown New York, London or Sydney, with Rupees, I'm sure he would get an earful that would burn hotter than a vindaloo curry, so I can't see why it would be any different in India :confused:

I personally believe, that in not making an effort to have some local currency for tipping or small purchases at markets for instance, is in it's own way, disrespectful to those who's country you are visiting.

People normally tip only a few $. As rkacruiser said by the time they converted their tip, they would lose some much needed Rupees in the conversion. And just because they drive a taxi or work in a hotel doesn't mean that they are getting a decent wage, far from it, so every tip helps.

If an Indian was to try and pay a cab fare in downtown New York, London or Sydney, with Rupees, I'm sure he would get an earful that would burn hotter than a vindaloo curry, so I can't see why it would be any different in India :confused:

I personally believe, that in not making an effort to have some local currency for tipping or small purchases at markets for instance, is in it's own way, disrespectful to those who's country you are visiting.

I agree with your comment that the cost of converting the dollars to local currency can diminish the value of a tip.

However, my people in the World save US dollars (not sure about India) because their currency is unstable. Two-thirds of the US dollars in the World are in circulation outside of the USA.

I still remember my first trip to Egypt in 1983, when I wanted to ride a camel at the pyramids and have my picture taken on the camel. The price asked was in US dollars. When I paid the camel holder, he pulled out a wad of dollar and five dollar bills to add my dollars. He spoke little English, but was packing a huge roll of dollars. In countries like Argentina and Russia, many people have their savings in US dollars.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-11/rupee-volatility-drops-to-three-month-low-on-economic-optimism.html

http://inflation.eu/inflation-rates/india/historic-inflation/cpi-inflation-india-2014.aspx

I am sure that people in constant contact with tourists can acculumate dollars and exchange them in large enough quantities to receive a substantial benefit of a modest tip.

I disagree with you that tipping in dollars amounts to an insult. Further, Dollars have value way beyond what Indian Rupees would have in the USA.

Thanks 4774papa for your reply.

Certainly you gave me some food for thought. I'm no financial whiz :D, but I could understand what you were saying to me. There is no doubt that the US$ is a universal and safe currency throughout the world. And I know what you mean about those canny operators ask for $and then show you a wad that makes you feel decidedly poor in comparison ;)

I'm thinking we are a visitor to their country and we should at least make an effort. It's only a small thing (like learning hello, goodbye, thank you in the local language) but to me, personally, it's an important one. I don't want to give the impression that I didn't care enough to put in a bit of effort, to something as simple changing $ into Rupees for tipping or minor purchases. Right or wrong, that's me.

India was the most amazing, vibrant, confusing, colourful, noisy, crowded, polluted, friendly and fabulous place I have ever visited, and I will return one day, but the poverty was the one thing I found it hard to get my head around.

Agree with you 100%. It's not difficult to change a few quid or dollars. Just as easy for Americans too, I would think:cool:

Thanks 4774papa for your reply.

Certainly you gave me some food for thought. I'm no financial whiz :D, but I could understand what you were saying to me. There is no doubt that the US$ is a universal and safe currency throughout the world. And I know what you mean about those canny operators ask for $and then show you a wad that makes you feel decidedly poor in comparison ;)

I'm thinking we are a visitor to their country and we should at least make an effort. It's only a small thing (like learning hello, goodbye, thank you in the local language) but to me, personally, it's an important one. I don't want to give the impression that I didn't care enough to put in a bit of effort, to something as simple changing $ into Rupees for tipping or minor purchases. Right or wrong, that's me.

India was the most amazing, vibrant, confusing, colourful, noisy, crowded, polluted, friendly and fabulous place I have ever visited, and I will return one day, but the poverty was the one thing I found it hard to get my head around.

Not wishing to start any kind of an argument over this issue, but I do agree with your thinking. Personally, I think it is a sign of respect for the nation/culture one is visiting to have some of their local currency. As a visitor, one is expected to observe the local laws and I think such thinking extends to financial matters as well.

GREATLY worded!

• 3 months later...

It's really difficult to get hold of Rupees in the UK and from what I've read here it's illegal to bring them in.....

I always bring local currency with me so am stumped as to what to do..... we stop at 4 ports of call in India....

Your advice gratefully received.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

It's really difficult to get hold of Rupees in the UK and from what I've read here it's illegal to bring them in.....

I always bring local currency with me so am stumped as to what to do..... we stop at 4 ports of call in India....

Your advice gratefully received.

Linda

Linda:

I've read it's illegal to bring them in as well, but I just returned from India and changed planes in Munich. I was able to exchange euros into rupees at an exchange place in the airport, so I felt it must have been legal; otherwise, they would not have had the currency available. I got only a couple hundred dollars' worth.

By the way, I heard (not sure how true it is) that you cannot exchange your rupees back into western currency unless you have about $100 worth, so spend it when you can.

Tipping is amazingly easy there. Not expected, but you'll probably find that you want to tip because the people are so genuinely helpful. Also, it's generally expected and much appreciated to give 10 rupees to people when you take their photos, or if you want to donate something to people who are truly in need, that's the general amount.

I hope you enjoy India. I have been back 2 weeks and still think about it constantly!

Felicia

Linda......I don't want to throw a spanner in the works:o but your link says that only people entering or leaving via an airport can import/export currency. No mention of ships:(

Yeah I saw that..... Just spoken with my local Bank of India Branch and they say that it's not possible to get Rupees in the UK, and that it's a restricted currency :o

Linda