CCL Shareholder Benefit

winddawn

After learning about the CCL shareholder benefit here on CC boards, I purchased 100 shares. I faxed in the required documents as shown on the Carnival Corp web page to get my shipboard credit for my upcoming three cruises. How will I know when it has been done? Will Carnival contact me? How long did it take for the shipboard credit to be added? I appreciate any feedback that others have had with this so I'll know what to expect.

This is a nice perk--kind of like getting matching funds on your 401k investment--you get a return before you even get your feet wet!

After learning about the CCL shareholder benefit here on CC boards, I purchased 100 shares. I faxed in the required documents as shown on the Carnival Corp web page to get my shipboard credit for my upcoming three cruises. How will I know when it has been done? Will Carnival contact me? How long did it take for the shipboard credit to be added? I appreciate any feedback that others have had with this so I'll know what to expect.

This is a nice perk--kind of like getting matching funds on your 401k investment--you get a return before you even get your feet wet!

I give it a couple of days and check to see if it's showing up on my edocs. If not, I call Carnival investor relations. Sometimes we've had to fax it twice.

im interested in doing this, but i need a buying shares for dummies book, if you buy shares from carnival do you get onboard credit for all the lines they own? i am sailing on holland america next month would i get the onboard credit on that? and how do you do this. sorry i know its a lot to ask

im interested in doing this, but i need a buying shares for dummies book, if you buy shares from carnival do you get onboard credit for all the lines they own? i am sailing on holland america next month would i get the onboard credit on that? and how do you do this. sorry i know its a lot to ask

Yes they count on all Carnival owned lines. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit. I hope the link works Alex

We bought CCL shares before our cruise in Feb, and due to us being big slackers, we didn't fax our documentation in until the day before we flew to Florida - so 2 days before the cruise. :eek: We took the fax confirmation and ownership documentation with us just in case, but the OBC showed up while on the cruise. Whew! :o So needless to say, we didn't get any confirmation from Carnival prior to cruising, but it sure didn't take long for the credit! We'll send it in much earlier for our cruise in Dec though, just to alleviate the worrying...

The shares of stock you purchase are in Carnival Corporation & PLC not Carnival Cruise Lines which is one of many cruise lines that Carnival Corp. owns and operates.

so the shares to buy are carnival corp.

The Stock ticker is CCL.

If you know nothing about investing, please don't purchase the shares just to get the OBC. Putting over $4000 at risk just for a little OBC is not wise.

the way i am thinking is the original investment you make is always there the 100 obc is just a bonus, thank you for your response i will be talking to the person that does our investing from bank of america before i do anything

That is not right. Your shares are always there but your initial investment fluctuates daily. If you bought 100 shares of CCL on January 2, 2008, you would have spent approx. $4366.00 plus brokerage commission. On Friday, April 11, 2008, those shares were now worth $3972 or a paper loss of $394 plus whatever your commission was. One should not invest in the stock market unless you will not need that money any time in the near future.

That is not right. Your shares are always there but your initial investment fluctuates daily. If you bought 100 shares of CCL on January 2, 2008, you would have spent approx. $4366.00 plus brokerage commission. On Friday, April 11, 2008, those shares were now worth $3972 or a paper loss of $394 plus whatever your commission was. One should not invest in the stock market unless you will not need that money any time in the near future.

Joe you hit the nail on the head. I lost $243.00 as of the close on Friday on my 102 shares. Mid week I was up. It goes up and down. I feel that stock sooner or later will go back to the mid 50s. If I had more money to spend right now I would buy more. The OBC is a nice perk if you cruise a lot.

We've been thinking about doing this for a while now. We currently have a cruise booked for December on Carnival. My question is, let's say I buy the stock tomorrow and fax Carnival all the information, etc. If we decide to sell the stock sometime before our cruise would we still get the $100 OBC? We normally hold onto our stocks for a long time, so I don't think this is likely, but I just wanted to check. I guess I'm just wondering if we'd have to fax in confirmation of stock ownership right before our cruise, or if it's just a once-and-done type of deal. Thanks for any information. :)

Joe you hit the nail on the head. I lost $243.00 as of the close on Friday on my 102 shares. Mid week I was up. It goes up and down.

Also, if you haven't sold those shares, have you really lost anything? ;) With the way the market has been lately, if I cried every time I lost money "on paper", I would have enough tears to float a cruise ship. My CCL holdings are down 18% but yet I have others that are up 26% to 403%. Neither of them matter to me as I intend to hold on to them for the long haul.

I agree. I'd never buy stocks with my chicken money. I plan to keep my CCL shares well into retirement. Surely with a 20-25 year time frame I'll make a few bucks. :-D The OBC is a very nice perk that I hope to use over and over. That was a good question about selling the stock though. I hadn't thought about that.

My question is, let's say I buy the stock tomorrow and fax Carnival all the information, etc. If we decide to sell the stock sometime before our cruise would we still get the $100 OBC?

Once you fax or mail in proof of ownership, such as a brokerage statement, that is all you do. Since most people hold their shares of companies in "street name", there is no way of them checking to see if you still own those shares when you sail.

Also, if you haven't sold those shares, have you really lost anything? ;) With the way the market has been lately, if I cried every time I lost money "on paper", I would have enough tears to float a cruise ship. My CCL holdings are down 18% but yet I have others that are up 26% to 403%. Neither of them matter to me as I intend to hold on to them for the long haul.

I agree whatever I buy I want to keep it. For me its like putting X amount money in the bank a year. I could never day trade. I'm not cut out for that. I'm in the ice cream business not stocks LOL

It goes the same as any investing... if you're gonna buy - buy low. I bought on March 7th for $38.85 and am happy with the increase in addition to the OBC. The first time I did it (a couple of years ago) - it went up just shy of $600 before I sold. I was thrilled - BUT - I would NEVER buy just for the OBC, This is money that I invest anyway - and CCL has proven a decent returner for me - - -

Does anyone know if you get the OBC and an interline rate if you own the stocks? Ive heard you get one or the other. Also do you get the Seniors discount and the OBC if you own stock? I would like to buy and keep it until retirement but will buy other stock if I dont get both.

Does this work with a combination of the 2 stocks? We have some Carnival Corp. shares and some Carnival plc shares. Between the two we have almost 100 shares. I can't find anywhere about combining the two, only each stock individually.

Thanks,

Fran

Does this work with a combination of the 2 stocks? We have some Carnival Corp. shares and some Carnival plc shares. Between the two we have almost 100 shares. I can't find anywhere about combining the two, only each stock individually.

Thanks,

Fran

They are functionally the same stock. Have your broker combine them.

BTW, almost 100 will almost get you the benefit, better top them up.

Archived