Downtown to ship distance...Skagway and Juneau

pejay

How close is downtown Juneau to the ship's dock? Also, how close is downtown Skagway to the dock?

to me they are 5 minutes away but i walk fast. i saw juneau is closer and Skagway maybe 10.

Juneau and Skagway are approximately 10 minutes each (Juneau is a bit closer). This is walking.

We almost missed the ship in Skagway. It looks closer than it is and we started walking at 4:20...then had to hurry. (we shouldn't have left so late...it was our own fault we had to hurry!)

The distances stated were, I'm sure, correct for the ship the people who posted were on. Each port, though, has several docking positions so the distances can vary hugely. At Juneau you might dock right downtown or you might be half a mile away in which case shuttle buses run you into town. At Skagway you can be between 2 and 6 blocks from town - again, shuttles are available.

In both cases, they are pretty much within walking distance for anyone without mobility problems. As has been noted there are often shuttle buses as well. Ketchikan is pretty much the same.

Not much to the town of Skagway. The ships essentially dock at one end of the main road. You are downtown. In Juneau, it is the same you basically dock in town. When we were in Skagway we took a tour into Haines by way of a small boat. Then we got on a van and went to a park where we had a grizzly bear encounter. It GREAAAAAAT!!.

In Juneau, it is the same you basically dock in town.

It depends on what ship you are on!!

We were on RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas and we were at AJ dock and it is a 10-15 min walk to town. Yes, some ships do dock right in town, but not all.

As Yukon pointed out, it depends on the cruiseline/ship. When we were in Skagway last month we had a ten minute walk. When we were in Juneau we got a really good parking spot downtown. :D Here's a picture from Mt. Roberts Tram.

1904231649_Alaska1018.jpg.efbe8e6468047b2689d12db890944d24.jpg

Archived