Pan Pacific Hotel no rooms left

We are taking our ten year old grandson on a cruise to Alaska in August. We were looking forward to staying in The Pan Pacific Hotel the night before the cruise. For us, it would make the embarkation process very easy. But when we called today for a reservation, they told us they are totally booked. So, just wondering, if there is a good alternative to the Pan Pacific...would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

There's also the Fairmont Pacific Rim a block away.

Shangrila, Hyatt, Sutton, Westin Bayshore, Wall Centre, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver are also good choices in the Pan Pacific price range for downtown hotels.

There's also the Fairmont Pacific Rim a block away.

Shangrila, Hyatt, Sutton, Westin Bayshore, Wall Centre, Fairmont Hotel Vancouver are also good choices in the Pan Pacific price range for downtown hotels.

...plus, all or most probably have shuttles to/from the terminal - certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

...VTX-Al

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are taking our ten year old grandson on a cruise to Alaska in August. We were looking forward to staying in The Pan Pacific Hotel the night before the cruise. For us, it would make the embarkation process very easy. But when we called today for a reservation, they told us they are totally booked. So, just wondering, if there is a good alternative to the Pan Pacific...would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

I realize that you ran into a "fully booked" situation when you called back in December, but frequently Vancouver hotels will simply tell you "not available" that far out.

If you are still interested, I would suggest you use on on-line booking service to do a search for availability for you. "Hotwire" or "Trivago" are good possibilities, if you are not booked elsewhere.....

on a cruise to Alaska in August. We were looking forward to staying in The Pan Pacific Hotel the night before the cruise. For us, it would make the embarkation process very easy. But when we called today for a reservation, they told us they are totally booked. So, just wondering, if there is a good alternative to the Pan Pacific...would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Looking at your other posts... It appears you are on an August 2nd sailing... Thus looking for a room July 31 to August 1st.

The reality is

• it's a long holiday weekend... one of Vancouver's busiest
  • the night before the cruise is has a huge downtown fireworks competition where hundreds of thousands come into the core.
  • the day you depart (August 2nd) is the annual Pride parade
  • there are 2 cruise ships on Saturday and 2 cruise ships docked on your date of departure.

Yep Vancouver will be very busy.

Edited by xlxo

• 3 weeks later...
Looking at your other posts... It appears you are on an August 2nd sailing... Thus looking for a room July 31 to August 1st.

The reality is

•  
  • it's a long holiday weekend... one of Vancouver's busiest

• the night before the cruise is has a huge downtown fireworks competition where hundreds of thousands come into the core.

• the day you depart (August 2nd) is the annual Pride parade

• there are 2 cruise ships on Saturday and 2 cruise ships docked on your date of departure.

Yep Vancouver will be very busy.

With all this going on, I am concerned about getting a transfer from airport to Hotel when we arrive at 8pm at YVR on Sat. Aug.1. Do you think there will be enough taxis available at the airport when we arrive. Should I book a car service in advance and which companies provide transfers?...thank you.

With all this going on, I am concerned about getting a transfer from airport to Hotel when we arrive at 8pm at YVR on Sat. Aug.1. Do you think there will be enough taxis available at the airport when we arrive. Should I book a car service in advance and which companies provide transfers?...thank you.

Nothing to be worried about, Metro Vancouver is a big city, and when two cruise ships are in town that represents a tiny fraction of the population. Luckily (and this is a rare occasion where it really works in your favour) it's a flat rate from the airport to downtown, because downtown at 9pm will be VERY VERY busy due to the fireworks on Aug 1.

If you want to avoid ALL of that, you can just take the subway from the airport, look for the signs saying "Canada Line" (it's actually elevated at the airport and drops underground after crossing the river).

Hmm...

• 8pm means you likely looking for a cab around 8:30pm. You should be fine at this for taxi availability. Airport has the ability to redeploy suburban taxi's to get you to the core.
  • congestion may be a problem as you approach downtown around 9pm. I would normally tell the driver to use Cambie or encourage him to "long haul" to the East to get around the congestion. But with the fixed $35.... I would leave it up to the driver and let him use his imagination.
  • which hotel are you at? Davie & Denman hotels will be in a restricted zone... not sure if taxi's will allowed. Robson, Burrard, and Georgia will be heavy with traffic trying to get around the road closures. Fairmont Waterfront? Hopefully the driver will be smart to approach from the East to avoid the download congestion around the Burrard and Granville Bridges. This is one night I don't mind being long hauled to avoid traffic jams.
  • Canada Line will be heavy too with many locals leaving their cars at home.

Edited by xlxo

Unless there are changes to this years event (unlikely - same sponsors confirmed again) both above posts give you very relevant info. There will be plenty of cabs at YVR as normal - taxis are not allowed into the restricted areas unless the passengers are local residents with proof of address (I believe disabled people in cabs are exempt from this), so there simply won't be much extra demand for cabs downtown as folks have to get out at the edge of the restricted traffic zone.

I believe cruzemaven that you confirmed earlier that you booked the Fairmont Waterfront? Since cabs are fixed rate you won't need to worry about the route - I agree with xlxo Cambie or even east to Main will be how the cab gets downtown to minimise traffic woes, but the Fairmont is easily reached from either of those routes without going too close to the blocked streets.

As to Skytrain - yes, there will be extra people compared to a normal Saturday 8-9pm with sensible suburbanites avoiding their cars to come see the fireworks BUT you will be boarding at the end of the line, getting first dibs on the comfy seats with plenty of legroom to fit your suitcase in front of you (I'm 6'1" and sit with a 28" rolling case no problem). You'll also be leaving at the other end of the line, after all the firework viewers have gotten off already.

On the really good news front - hey, we're putting on a huge firework display to welcome you to town!!! If you feel like stretching your legs after your flight, walk south from the Fairmont ASAP after checking in - jink a couple of blocks right onto Burrard and join the throng on the bridge for an excellent view (a little under 1.5 miles on foot). Bring a radio if you have one - they broadcast the music score which accompanies the kablooies on 104.3FM.

Even though there should be plenty of cabs, you can also use the Aerocar walk-up limo service - it's roughly double the cab price, depends how big a car you need (prices here and NB: there's 5% tax + tip on top).

Edited by martincath

Unless there are changes to this years event (unlikely - same sponsors confirmed again) both above posts give you very relevant info. There will be plenty of cabs at YVR as normal - taxis are not allowed into the restricted areas unless the passengers are local residents with proof of address (I believe disabled people in cabs are exempt from this), so there simply won't be much extra demand for cabs downtown as folks have to get out at the edge of the restricted traffic zone.

I believe cruzemaven that you confirmed earlier that you booked the Fairmont Waterfront? Since cabs are fixed rate you won't need to worry about the route - I agree with xlxo Cambie or even east to Main will be how the cab gets downtown to minimise traffic woes, but the Fairmont is easily reached from either of those routes without going too close to the blocked streets.

As to Skytrain - yes, there will be extra people compared to a normal Saturday 8-9pm with sensible suburbanites avoiding their cars to come see the fireworks BUT you will be boarding at the end of the line, getting first dibs on the comfy seats with plenty of legroom to fit your suitcase in front of you (I'm 6'1" and sit with a 28" rolling case no problem). You'll also be leaving at the other end of the line, after all the firework viewers have gotten off already.

On the really good news front - hey, we're putting on a huge firework display to welcome you to town!!! If you feel like stretching your legs after your flight, walk south from the Fairmont ASAP after checking in - jink a couple of blocks right onto Burrard and join the throng on the bridge for an excellent view (a little under 1.5 miles on foot). Bring a radio if you have one - they broadcast the music score which accompanies the kablooies on 104.3FM.

Even though there should be plenty of cabs, you can also use the Aerocar walk-up limo service - it's roughly double the cab price, depends how big a car you need (prices here and NB: there's 5% tax + tip on top).

Thank you for your suggestions...we would love to see the fireworks. Hopefully, we will arrive on time and have that opportunity!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...