Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

Share your interest & experiences in Freighter Cruises and other unusual forms of leisure passenger ship travel

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Desperate to get to the USA - by sea

Hi, everyone. I have no idea if anybody out there can help me but I'm getting desperate, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I want to get to the USA to meet family I have only just discovered I have (I'm a GI baby!) but as I'm acutely claustrophobic, plane travel is out of the question. I have been searching for weeks now for a way to get to either New York or Chicago, by sea. I can get a train to St.Louis from either and my family will meet me there.

But I don't want a cruise! I just want passage. Does anyone know of such a service? I have no interest, at this point, in being entertained or any of the other stuff offered, all I want is a cabin to sleep in and food.

I am 64 and acutely arthritic, so signing on as crew of a Trans-Atlantic yacht is out! I can find no other way.

Please, any help would be better than no help at all.

Old September 21st, 2010, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=belairebel;26149618]Hi, everyone. I have no idea if anybody out there can help me but I'm getting desperate, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I want to get to the USA to meet family I have only just discovered I have (I'm a GI baby!) but as I'm acutely claustrophobic, plane travel is out of the question. I have been searching for weeks now for a way to get to either New York or Chicago, by sea. I can get a train to St.Louis from either and my family will meet me there.

But I don't want a cruise! I just want passage. Does anyone know of such a service? I have no interest, at this point, in being entertained or any of the other stuff offered, all I want is a cabin to sleep in and food.
belairebel, Cunard runs liners from Southhampton to New York. Many of them have classes of travel, so the lower cost (and class) might be affordable. If you check on-line or even in the London phone book you should find freighter lines that will go from London (Southhampton) to New York. Look for container ships--how does Jaguar get its cars here?--that always carry a few passengers.
You should be aware that freighter travel can be tough for someone who isn't very mobile. But it is certainly worth looking at.
Hope you find something that works for you.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairebel View Post
Hi, everyone. I have no idea if anybody out there can help me but I'm getting desperate, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I am 64 and acutely arthritic, so signing on as crew of a Trans-Atlantic yacht is out! I can find no other way.

Right now, many transatlantic crossings are very inexpensive. You don't have to do anything on board a cruise ship..don't have to go to the entertainment, don't have to participate in any of the activities, don't have to go to the gym, or pool, don't have to get off the ship anywhere (and of course on a trans atlantic, you wouldn't do that anyway!) or any of it..stay in your cabin and go to meals, or even just call room service and have them delivered (room service is part of your cruise passage), or find a quiet corner on deck (and they do occur, even on the most "partiest" of ships.

Given your age and physical condition, I don't think freighter travel will suit. And the higher end cruise lines, while offering comfortable accommodations, also have at least some entertainment, but again, you don't have to do it.

Have you talked to a travel agent? They can direct you to the more sedate lines, where entertainment isn't thrust at you 24/7....

Old October 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

maybe this will answer all your questions.
http://www.gonomad.com/transports/00...er_voyage.html

Old October 10th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

thank you for the link, rekindling an old passion ....

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

From looking at that freight ship website, the costs are pretty close to a regular cruise which would have elevators and room service.

Carnival Holiday, 10/2004
Carnival Fantasy 10/2007
Carnival Fantasy 09/2009
Carnival Triumph 12/2010

Old November 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cunard Line

Passage on the Cunard Line during the off season would be most advisable. It is nearly the same cost as passage by freighter... you don't have to do anything, but everything you need will be on board, not to mention a full fledged medical center... I really do not recommend 'hitching' a ride on a freighter, especially in the condition you describe yourself as being in.

The Cunard Line, among other reasons, provides transatlantic passage for people who do not want to fly. Although akin to a cruise ship, technically, the RMS Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner designed to take people from Great Britain to the USA.

You do not even need to leave your cabin when you board.

Of course, Cunard does market it as an 'experience', and it is- yet many people still utilize it as their preferred method of traveled between the old world and the new.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Destinations...tic-Crossings/
Norwegian Jewel Norwegian Cruise Line, 12 Night Northern Europe (Baltic Capitals) July 16, 2008
Marco Polo Transocean Tours, 11 Nights, Antarctica Soft Expedition December 16, 2008
Discovery (The Love Boat), Voyages of Discovery, 14 Nights Norway, Russia, Lofoten Islands, North Cape (Arctic) July 22, 2009
Seabourn Odyssey Seabourn Cruise Line, 7 Nights Agean Odyssey, July 10, 2010
Veendam Holland America Line, 7 Nights Bermuda, July 24, 2011
Norwegian Sky Norwegian Cruise Line, 3 Night Bahamian Getaway, August 5, 2011
Oceana P&O Cruises, 9 Nights Atlantic Shores, June 24, 2012
Crystal Serenity Crystal Cruises, 12 Nights Spanish Serenade, July 13, 2012
MSC Splendida MSC Cruises, 7 Nights Western Mediterranean, December 17, 2012

111 perfect days at sea so far!

UPCOMING

VISITED (Ship visits while they are in port)

Dolous, AIDAdiva, Costa Classica, Costa Victoria

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cunard is indeed the best option, certainly out of UK. Have done the transatlantic in 2001 on the Queen Elizabeth 2, who unfortunately is now sold to Dubai as an hotel. It takes 6 days, mostly leaving Southampton around 17 h and arriving the last day in the morning. That view you really have to enjoy.
On this moment it is the Queen Mary 2 who took the place of QE2.
These vessels are designed to scope with North Atlantic. Even with rough weather the vessel was absolute stabilized.
I am not interested in shows on board of cruise ships, so I prefered a movie in my cabin or a drink in one of the bars.

Old December 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
40,000+ Club

There are lots of choices to get to New York by ship, but it will be a long train or bus ride getting to St. Louis from there I am afraid, if you don't fly. It will take you days to get to St. Louis once you reach NYC, probably many days. Good Luck, I hope you are able to make the trip.

Old December 10th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto2Kansas View Post
There are lots of choices to get to New York by ship, but it will be a long train or bus ride getting to St. Louis from there I am afraid, if you don't fly. It will take you days to get to St. Louis once you reach NYC, probably many days. Good Luck, I hope you are able to make the trip.
Getting from New York to Saint Louis by rail (Amtrak.Com) is no problem. A coach seat costs $178, sleeping cars are available at extra cost. You leave New York daily at 3:45, change trains in Chicago the next day (a 4 hr. connection) and arrive in Saint Louis that evening at 7:21 P.M., a total time of 28 hours enroute. I recommend a roomette on the Lakeshore Limited trip from New York to Chicago.

Old December 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hello Belairbel,
Since you say you are claustrophobic, I was just curious, have you ever compared the interior of a jumbo jet to that of a standard ship cabin? Not to mention the time difference that would be spent in either for your travel goal? Sea travel is great but if you are just trying to get from A to B, it's something to think about. I'm not claustrophobic but ship cabins are S-M-A-L-L unless you get a suite on a cruise ship.
Good Luck either way!

Old December 31st, 2011, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can a person scream illegal immigrant......

Cruises Completed:

MSC Fantasia - Yacht Club (2)
MSC Opera (1)
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (2)
MSC Sinfonia (7)
MSC Melody (2)
MSC Symphony (1)
MV Aegean Dolphin (1)

96 nights at sea; visiting 3 continents, 11 countries and too many cities to remember

Old January 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by All aboard?? View Post
Can a person scream illegal immigrant......
A person could, but that same person might be wrong. Consider John Madden, the NFL commentator who arranged to take ground transport because he refused to fly.