First time SS/Butler

cello44

Anyone else prefer not to have what I recognize is intended as a wonderful amenity? Butler is well intentioned, eager to please and no doubt superbly trained - no criticism of the person, only the concept. I just want to be left alone, and do things myself, not feel I have to butlersit, not have someone monitoring my every move, who will be offended if I can in room dining directly. Dreading the next 7 days.

I believe I know precisely how you feel, And I share those feelings. One feels guilty if one does not give the butler projects. Unfortunately, I have very few such projects and the butler apparently feels it necessary to make work– to rearrange my eyeglasses various ways, to rearrange things in the closet, etc. I think the butler concept becomes especially problematic at breakfast time on port days. Lots of people want breakfast at the same time in their suites before going to meet excursions. It seems that policy is that the butler brings room service meals. A butler simply cannot serve a half dozen suites at the same time, and the result is too often a tardy or cold breakfast.

We're just off a 17-day cruise on Silversea Whisper. I think you'll find the butler will intuit your level (or lack thereof) of engagement such that you will be comfortable. At the outset, I recommend you tell him nicely you don't want to be fussed over.

It IS useful, we thought, to have him bring tea every morning at 8am.

We're just off a 17-day cruise on Silversea Whisper. I think you'll find the butler will intuit your level (or lack thereof) of engagement such that you will be comfortable. At the outset, I recommend you tell him nicely you don't want to be fussed over. It IS useful, we thought, to have him bring tea every morning at 8 am.

Agree strongly with above comments for how the Butler will easily adjust to your needed level of service, interests, etc. Or, giving you the privacy you seek!! We had no problem getting breakfast when and delivered as fitting our schedule, etc. We've done three cruises on the Silver Cloud and liked very, very much the service and "value-added" that we received and enjoyed from the Butler.

We did not need or want the Butler to be unpacking or packing for us. Nor, are we high-maintenance types who seek un-reasonable services. BUT, there a number of little things where the Butler's skills paid off nicely.

What's an example?: We wanted to have a little “pizza party” in our suite to watch the World Cup battle between Spain and Holland in July 2010. How did it happen and work? Super great!!! And the game was good, too, going into overtime to get a winner. Our Butler was spectacular in arranging all of the details. Our Columbus friends-neighbors, Janet and Denny, were there, along with new friends Sharon and Issy from the Washington, DC, area. Six people worked well for a party in our suite. We started at 8 pm with egg rolls, shrimp, crab claws, chips, etc., as a warm-up, plus a tub of chilled Champagne, wine, beer, etc. Then around 9 pm, after the game started a half hour earlier, the five different pizza selections arrived along with hot dogs, cookies, etc. We could have had more food, but we were stuffed and very happy. Not only was the game good, but out our large balcony door and window, we could watch the spectacular mountains along the coast go by as we sailed south along the Norway coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,984 views for these postings.

For the World Cup Championship game, Spain versus Holland on July 11, 2010, this was our “PIZZA PARTY” set-up in our room as we sailed along the Norway Coast south of the Lofoten Islands. This set-up worked well for size with six in that space. We ordered in advance off of the regular room service menu, set-up through our wonderful Butler. In place of eating in the main Dining Room, we had our food and drinks in the suite. Eight people would have been too tight for such a party in a regular suite.:

WorldCupPartySilverCloud.jpg

Terry,

I think this is the last of the ideas the OP wants to hear and it seems that the OP feels as I and many others that simply picking up the phone and ordering some pizza and drinks and it being delivered on time to the suite is more than enough. Personally, I can cut, plate and eat pizza and pour drinks totally unassisted by someone pretending to be a servant and would far prefer just my friends to be there rather than something that seems to be a scene out of "Gone With The Wind". :D

Cello44, just be politely but very clear right at the start of the cruise that you will require no help or attention whatsoever apart from normal and minimal room servicing and anything else you specifically request from time to time. The first time you receive over attentive attention, just gently remind that it isn't wanted, expected or required.

Enjoy your trip and don't let this fear you have do anything to compromise the anticipation of your lovely trip.

Jeff

Cello44, just be politely but very clear right at the start of the cruise that you will require no help or attention whatsoever apart from normal and minimal room servicing and anything else you specifically request from time to time. The first time you receive over attentive attention, just gently remind that it isn't wanted, expected or required.

Jeff

I agree that this is a possible -- and perhaps quite reasonable -- approach. However, I think it's tricky. The butler wants to shine, to get a good review on the ship questionnaires, and perhaps even to get a tip. (I assume I am far from alone in tipping housekeeper and butler.) And it is challenging to tell someone that s/he is not wanted or needed, that she really has no purpose in your life (and by extension in life generally?). The butler is there to do the extraordinary, and people like me are denying the butler opportunity to shine. :)

I feel the same way as the OP so when I boarded the Whisper yesterday for 15 days I made a point of stressing to my butler (as I always do) that I appreciated his offer of service and that I would happily ask him if I needed anything from him, but that I very much prefer to do everything myself. It remains to be seen if he 'intuits' correctly as has been suggested - I find that some butlers do and some don't.

For some this is a little extra / special perk....they are there for you convenience. The pizza party looks fun & why not do a special nite like that. For myself its a nice perk because living here in NYC I do enough dressing up so being onboard a ship for a long period of time & being able to relax in the suite is a luxury in itself!

One other note is that for some people - even the very independent sort - should the butler be very attractive - there's nothing wrong w/ having a delicious looking butler look after you...that alone can bring a smile to ones face!!!!

For some this is a little extra / special perk....they are there for you convenience. The pizza party looks fun & why not do a special nite like that. For myself its a nice perk because living here in NYC I do enough dressing up so being onboard a ship for a long period of time & being able to relax in the suite is a luxury in itself!

One other note is that for some people - even the very independent sort - should the butler be very attractive - there's nothing wrong w/ having a delicious looking butler look after you...that alone can bring a smile to ones face!!!!

Rotterdame,

Change your husband. You need someone attractive like me who is also ambidextrous.

Jeff.

Thank you for the many replies.

Those who suggest simply communicating with the butler are no doubt correct.

I've discovered that we need to establish clearer butler boundaries - for example, if the "Privacy" sign is displayed, please do not knock, buzz, and then enter to find us napping.

I find the butler concept a bit pretentious, and also outdated and unnecessary. Perhaps we should have played along with the reenactment and brought my wife's grandmother's giant trunk for the poor man to unpack. Simply maintaining the thing onboard would have required rearrangement of the ship's ballast.

Silversea is an interesting change from Seabourn and of course a day and a half is hardly enough time to make an informed comparison. Silversea's staff, so far, seem very attentive and friendly.

Cheers, Cello

I, for one, love having the butler. It is one of the things I like most about Silversea compared to Regent and Crystal (I have not yet sailed Seabourn). I have never had the butler try to too much. In fact, I think the advertising on what they do is misleading, but I very much enjoy the work they actually do. For us, they have changed a few reservations, shined my shoes and decorated our suite for a birthday (one cruise) and our anniversary (another cruise), among other nice things, without being intrusive.

I also like that every suite has a butler. It' always seemed to me that there is less "class warfare" on Silversea compared to Regent and Crystal because of this.

I, for one, love having the butler. It is one of the things I like most about Silversea compared to Regent and Crystal (I have not yet sailed Seabourn). I have never had the butler try to too much. In fact, I think the advertising on what they do is misleading, but I very much enjoy the work they actually do. For us, they have changed a few reservations, shined my shoes and decorated our suite for a birthday (one cruise) and our anniversary (another cruise), among other nice things, without being intrusive.

I also like that every suite has a butler. It' always seemed to me that there is less "class warfare" on Silversea compared to Regent and Crystal because of this.

I agree, and something cello should keep in mind is that while every suite has a butler, every butler does not have a suite. Every butler has a block of suites, and has neither the time, nor the inclination to be hovering around your cabin being under foot.

If you call him or room service, he'll likely deliver the food unless it's during his off hours. If you need a reservation changed, you can call him and he'll take care of it. If you order something regularly, e.g. a cheese plate in the afternoon, it's likely to start showing up without you having to order it.

Other than that, they're totally unobtrusive. Outside of room service, and maybe passing in the hallways, we could go days without seeing our butler.

I think, in fact, that the butler's responsibilities are more extensive than you suggest. Unless things have changed since my last cruise, the butler must service each suite each day– refreshing fruit, providing new ice, providing water and sodas, etc., dusting, etc. The butler is also responsible for taking care of laundry orders, including pickup and delivery. I believe that each butler will visit each suite at least twice a day–during the morning servicing and turndown.

I think, in fact, that the butler's responsibilities are more extensive than you suggest. Unless things have changed since my last cruise, the butler must service each suite each day– refreshing fruit, providing new ice, providing water and sodas, etc., dusting, etc. The butler is also responsible for taking care of laundry orders, including pickup and delivery. I believe that each butler will visit each suite at least twice a day–during the morning servicing and turndown.

I've never been clear on who does what in those areas. In any case, they've always been done while we were out of the cabin, so didnt really add to our direct interactions with the butler.

Edited by Mark_K

OP here, five days into the cruise I find our "butler" has been very helpful, an interesting guy who's lived all over the world. My opinion of the concept hasn't changed, however.

The food has been a surprising disappointment, but that's another thread.

PS Silver Whisper, in Aruba today.

Edited by cello44

Thank you for the many replies.

I find the butler concept a bit pretentious, and also outdated and unnecessary. Perhaps we should have played along with the reenactment and brought my wife's grandmother's giant trunk for the poor man to unpack. Simply maintaining the thing onboard would have required rearrangement of the ship's ballast.

Cheers, Cello

Now that's funny !!

Jim

OP here, five days into the cruise I find our "butler" has been very helpful, an interesting guy who's lived all over the world. My opinion of the concept hasn't changed, however.

The food has been a surprising disappointment, but that's another thread.

PS Silver Whisper, in Aruba today.

Interesting! I'm on this same cruise and my butler is just about doing his job adequately, nothing more, and my opinion about having a butler (the same as yours) is also unchanged.

However, I am very impressed with the new MDR menus (if you ignore the burgers) and I think the food is better than it was. I complimented Sergio on the menu yesterday and he whispered to me that he hated having burgers on the menu!

Ditto the pool grill lunch menu is much improved with more interesting choices.

Terrazza doesn't seem much different. Unfortunately when I was there last night I was seated with a very loud couple behind me who very much intruded on the peaceful enjoyment of my meal - I nearly asked to move but it was full and I couldn't see a better table (solos usually get poor tables, of course) - I'm staying on next week so I'll just try again then. I do remember that my Tortino Cioccolata was sinfully good.

Rotterdame,

Change your husband. You need someone attractive like me who is also ambidextrous.

Jeff.

That is exactly what I've done & thankfully had good staff to get me through it all/divorce...and a good scotch!

Full moon & smooth seas to you!

the Butler thing is simply a marketing gimmick. Anyone that had sailed on a ship years ago knew the stewards would do back flips for you and were on duty all day. There was also a greater crew to passenger ratio...meaning there was more help.

With todays business models the cutbacks & marketing gimmicks certainly create a false security but also a lower quality of the product. Seabourn is a total turn off for me as Carnivore seems to have mastered the art of maximizing profitability at the customers expense.

I hope to book with Silversea & experience a level of quality in line with the cost and marketing the line sells.

as far as the butler - I'm pretty easy but I have seen some passengers treat staff in a manner that would warrant the passenger being ordered to walk the plank.

Prior to Silversea we'd only had one cruise with a butler and quite frankly we were totally put off by him and the whole experience. He was basically arrogant but luckily also generally not available which only added to his uselessness. Come five years ago and the Wind and we actually had thoughts of "oh no, not another butler". Truth was and has been some four butlers later that they have been good to super. We don't ask, want, or require them to do much for us. They seem to happily adjust to us and our very minor requirements like morning coffee, keeping the cabin refrigerator stocked, and laundry. Basically it seems to us that Silversea butlers more or less now do what years and years ago used to be done by lead cabin steward.

the Butler thing is simply a marketing gimmick. Anyone that had sailed on a ship years ago knew the stewards would do back flips for you and were on duty all day. There was also a greater crew to passenger ratio...meaning there was more help.

With todays business models the cutbacks & marketing gimmicks certainly create a false security but also a lower quality of the product. Seabourn is a total turn off for me as Carnivore seems to have mastered the art of maximizing profitability at the customers expense.

I hope to book with Silversea & experience a level of quality in line with the cost and marketing the line sells.

as far as the butler - I'm pretty easy but I have seen some passengers treat staff in a manner that would warrant the passenger being ordered to walk the plank.

I have done several SS cruises, though not as many as most on this forum, and other than the first one which was perfect, they were all fine overall (despite the butlers), but had some problems with food quality, the included wines, and dining room service. In contrast, when I did my first SB cruise in September on the Odyssey, despite no butler, (had a delightful stewardess) I did not have any of the problems I had a few months ago on SS. So I am wondering what it is you found "Carnivorous" on SB (other than the issue with the MDR not consistently being open for breakfast and lunch, which many dislike)?