Is there any advantage to printing your luggage tags?

qa4ever

You save time at the luggage drop off if your luggage is already tagged, and you minimize the congestion in that area. A printed tag is easier to read than a hand-written one. If you are worried about the tag falling off, you can buy tag holders or come up with your own DIY system, or put two or three or 15 tags on each piece of luggage.

Disadvantages, you have to print out the tags and put them on yourself. Disadvantage, if you print your tags too early and then they call with a free upgrade to the GV, you have to start all over again. :mad:

I see that we can print our luggage tags online, but is there any advantage? Or can we just grab the ones from the porter? I would think the ones from the porter would stay on better than a piece of paper printed and taped on???

No advantage except maybe a bit shorter wait (minute or so tops) when you arrive to the port (not all porters have tags/marker in their pocket and if they do not, they need to find one that has).

I have never used self-printed tags (have printed them once but didn't use them because we didn't have a stapler) and have never felt that the embarkation process would be harder because of that.

Edited by Demonyte

As the other posters said, it is a little easier and quicker.

What I do is print them, trim them to make them a little narrower and then instead of stapling, I use packing tape to cover the whole thing. It is now waterproof and tear proof.

Enjoy your cruise.

What I do is print them, trim them to make them a little narrower and then instead of stapling, I use packing tape to cover the whole thing. It is now waterproof and tear proof.

Enjoy your cruise.

Essentially I do the same thing with my handy laminating machine. The tags are virtually indestructible that way.

Definitely saves time and aggravation at the pier.

As soon as you do anything else than fold the paper when self-printing, asking a porter to attach the real tags at the terminal it is definitely easier. ;)

Also in most cases you don't save time either by self-printing because it takes time too. As I said in another recent thread, I have other things that I need to spend my time to when getting ready for a trip.

Also in most cases you don't save time either by self-printing because it takes time too. As I said in another recent thread, I have other things that I need to spend my time to when getting ready for a trip.

Sure, if you can't find 2 minutes in the weeks and months leading up to your cruise, by all means hard-wire this time into your embarkation day procedure. And not just your time, but also the porter's time, and the time of your fellow passengers right behind you… :rolleyes:

I am aware that this is not a huge deal, either way. And either way, they are "real tags".

As soon as you do anything else than fold the paper when self-printing, asking a porter to attach the real tags at the terminal it is definitely easier. ;)

Well, technically you may be correct ... It does take about 5 minutes to make a bunch of tags months ahead of time. But... it is also true that it DOES take less time ON THE DAY OF EMBARKATION if you already have tags attached rather than wait for a porter to do it. That much is indisputable. I also prefer the comfort in knowing the tag is legible and my bags might actually arrive in my room correctly.

The best advantage (and yes this happened to me) is that the porter with the luggage tags won't transpose your cabin number! I found my suitcase at the opposite end of a long hallway by chance and had to walk it all the way down to my cabin while wearing a walking orthotic "boot". I was not a happy camper.

Apparently, lots of folks like "craft" projects! There is no delay in using the porter supplied tags. No need to print them and tape them or staple them....the porters have PLENTY!

What, are you kidding?

Printing your own luggage tags, packing a little tiny stapler and making the tag magic happen in the hotel room the morning before embarkation is all part of the experience!

Are you simply unaware of the great times a family can have as they unpack each and every bag -- clothes strewn all over the room -- looking for that little purple stapler?

Bonus points for ordering tag holders. It just gives me that much more to look forward to!

/s

Edited by triptolemus

Last cruise (Breakaway in May) we had 4 pieces of luggage show up at our cabin, with OUR cabin number hand written on the tags (by the porter) Problem was, it wasn't ours. So one disadvantage is, you run the risk of having the porter write down the wrong cabin number by mistake. With the printed labels, its almost impossible for there to be an error.

We accidentally got into the long line at the cruise port that was people waiting for porters for luggage tags before we realized these people were not in line to go to check in. Once we went by them we were in check in right away. I'd rather not stand in that line. Printing and attaching your tags with packing tape before you leave home is soooo much easier and less stressful to start your vacation.

I see that we can print our luggage tags online, but is there any advantage? Or can we just grab the ones from the porter? I would think the ones from the porter would stay on better than a piece of paper printed and taped on???

Not all porters will hand you luggage tags. Some put the tags on the luggage for you -- nice for you, but not for the person waiting for the porter to take their bags. This happened to us. We had to wait while the porter looked up a cabin number and then put tags on five bags for the couple in front of us.

Years ago we bought luggage tag holders from Amazon.com and we use those to put the printed tags in.

Edited by NMLady

:cool: There's nothing I hate worse than scuffing up my good Gucci Luggage. Post # 4 pretty much says it all. Just poke a hole in it and through on a zip tie to the handle and your done. Last year they drove a forklift fork through one of our bags thank God it was not the one with the booze in it:eek:

I like to print the tags on label paper; then I use a single sheet laminate sheet ( no heat required, it's like a big clear sticker) on top of the printed side.Then cut, peel & stick and they are water resistant. Overkill; yes. But I'm a graphic designer and this stuff is just laying around my house ;)

Edited by Bluefox

I print them on full page adhesive labels, the first one I treat as a regular tag and wrap it around the handle and both staple and adhese it together.

The next few I place on different areas of the bag.

They stay on really well.

In fact I found they stay on well for around 10 months and take around 10 hours to get off completely !