Ketitechan weather - Yippee

Tee & Chilli

We're departing in about 10 minutes. We hit the weather jackpot today. Close to 70 degrees and sunny. Prepare for cooler weather and rain but hope for the best.

All the stores I invited sell jackets for $30 and under. Fleece lined jackets were $20.

Misty fjords booked independent.

Fyi..some tours were being sold from the pier.

Some people took the free shuttle to Walmart.

Remember to pick up the coupon book being handed out in Vancouver. Some stores had coupons also.

We will be on the Legend and Ketchikan is our last Alaskan stop. We have tours booked for our other ports but plan on touring this one on our own. Totem Bright will be one site, Creek Street, Dolly's House, etc. And knowing DW as I do, a little shopping.

But not at Walmart.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying nice weather. Since Ketchikan is located in a rainforest, its weather can be quite wet. A feature of the area’s climate is the high amount of rainfall, with an equivalent average of 153 inches.

On our 2009 cruise, it was raining hard while we were there. However, we were prepared with rain gear and enjoyed our shore excursion in spite of the rain. When we were there in August 2012, we enjoyed warm, dry, sunny weather.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Glad to hear the weather was good. We leave on the 29th, hopefully it's just as nice. What is the coupon book - I've heard others mention it. We sail out of Seattle, so where would I find the coupons?

The book was given out in Vancouver while we were boarding. No sure if Seattle gives out the coupons. Maybe someone else will respond.

I cannot recall all the tours. In Juneau tickets were sold for the bus to Mendenhall as well as the tram that takes you up the mountain. There were at least 8 booths selling various excursions.

In Ketchikan several vendors were selling misty fjords float plane trips.

In Skagway I rented a car and didn't see any vendors.

Although excursions were sold at the pier, the times may not correspond with your schedule.

We just got back Friday. Your ship will do a shopping talk and give out coupon books there. It's the same merchants that are in the Caribbean but you don't get the duty free prices. Most of its expensive junk that is made in China.

There are some tours sold in each port. Juneau had a lot and Ketchikan had a few. None that I remembered in Skagway. I highly recommend booking ahead of time or through the ship.

Did you happen to notice if they sell plus size woman's fleece coats, ie size 18 and above? Thanks

FYI...sizes run small. I had originally bought a 2X hoodie and it was too small. Had to get a 4X in a different port and that was even tight. I wear a 2X and was shocked that even a 4X was tight. Gave the 2X to my aunt who wears a size 14 and it was the perfect fit for her.

Glad to hear the weather was good. We leave on the 29th, hopefully it's just as nice. What is the coupon book - I've heard others mention it. We sail out of Seattle, so where would I find the coupons?

If you don't find a coupon book in Seattle at the pier, look in the gift shops (the bigger ones) near the doors and they should have them there for free.

It's so weird: Ketchikan is one of the wettest spots in Alaska, but last year when we were in Alaska, it was pouring rain everywhere else...but Ketchikan was sunny :D

That was our experience as well when we were there. We were very comfortable walking around town since the weather was so pleasant. Ketchikan is a very charming town and the people are so friendly.