Nice airport to Monte Carlo by train

bluffbeach

We are flying into Nice and want to take the train from St Augustin to Monaco Gare. I have found several ways from the airport to Nice St Augustin. The best one looks like bus line 23 since we will land at Terminal 1. Just want to hear comments on this plan. Thanks!

Perhaps I am not looking at the right thing, but it appears to me that the #23 only goes between the airport and various stops in and around Nice. You might want to look into the Express #110 Bus which runs every 30 minutes. Here is a link to info:

http://www.niceairportxpress.com

It is also possible to take the train...although its a bit of a hassle getting to the airport train station. The express bus does seem like the best option if you want public transit.

A taxi is another option, but we would guestimate that would cost around 100€.

If money is no object, the best way is to take the helicopter transfer :).

Hank

Let me try again. We are going from from Nice St Augustin train station to Monaco Gare train station. What are the recommendations for getting from terminal 1 of the airport to the Nice St Augustin train station? One site said that the train station was the 2nd stop from terminal 1 on bus #23. I couldn't see the stop on the bus route. Comments, please.

Let me try again. We are going from from Nice St Augustin train station to Monaco Gare train station. What are the recommendations for getting from terminal 1 of the airport to the Nice St Augustin train station? One site said that the train station was the 2nd stop from terminal 1 on bus #23. I couldn't see the stop on the bus route. Comments, please.

St Augustin is NOT on route #23. Neither is the airport.

#98 and #99 are the only local buses that stop at the airport terminals.

Your only bet is to take #99 to the main train station in Nice (Gare SNCF) and go to Monaco from there.

http://www.lignesdazur.com/ftp/documents_FR/L'Essentiel%20Plan%20de%20Poche.pdf

If you do want to leave from St Augustin, take a taxi. It is very close to the airport so it will not be very expensive and it will save you the hassle of dealing with the suitcases in the bus.

Now, if you wait until 2018, the tram will go from the airport to both train stations and on to the port. :D

There has been a lot of construction in the area due to the tram, so the bus routes that may have run before have been changed.

Edited by marazul

If you just want to go the train station, just hop on the airport shuttle bus (the one that runs between the two terminals and ask the driver to drop you at the Arenas stop for St Augustin. That is the closest stop to the station, but you still have to walk more then a few feet :). Personally, we would just take that #110 Express Bus ,,,,,but each person has their own ideas :). Just keep in mind that whatever you do, you will likely need to handle all your own luggage. This means dragging luggage on and off trains, through stations, etc.

Hank

A comment on the express bus to Monaco. It leaves you at the Place des Armes which is about a half mile walk to the port. This is closer and easier than walking from the Monaco train station to the port.

Depending on the number of people and luggage in your group, compare the cost of using a private transfer such as http://www.friend-in-france.com/. You can check their prices right on the website.

Edited by marazul

Thanks for all the feedback. We will take a taxi. We like taking trains when we can and our hotel is a 5 min walk from Gare Monaco (downhill). We wanted a day for our clocks to reset!

Also thanks for the confirmation on using the airport shuttle to the Arenas. I had read that also.

If it makes you feel better, you are not missing much when you skip that particular train. The trains that run along the coast are primarily commuter-type train cars where you might be sharing your area with a few bicycles, etc. To us its more like riding on an elevated subway then a real train. And there is also the scenery issue. The train line between Nice and Monte Carlo spends a good part of the journey inside tunnels. If you take a taxi you could ask the driver to take a more scenic route along one of the Corniche roads as opposed to using the Autostrade. Not sure how that would increase the fare...but if you are not in a hurry its worth asking?

Hank