martinique tours?

JP46

I'm finding it very hard to get information on tour companies in Martinique. When I do, the info is in french, and it's been a long time since I took french in high school.:D Can anyone help? There hasn't been much activity here.

Judy

I'm finding it very hard to get information on tour companies in Martinique. When I do, the info is in french, and it's been a long time since I took french in high school.:D Can anyone help? There hasn't been much activity here.

Judy

We ended up booking an excursion that was offered by the ship because I couldn't really find out much info. There's also not much activity here on this board. We docked right outside of town (I think there's another place the ships dock) and I do know there were a few people hanging around offering to do excursions. I didn't pay much attention since we already had ours booked.

Although you don't need to bring Euros, we did and we were glad we did. We found that if something was 1 Euro, they asked for $2 in USD. We didn't know if we had used a credit card if the exchange rate would have been different.

Thanks for the reply. Isn't it amazing that there is so little activity on this thread? Do a lot of ships use this port? I did find one tour company but the price was terrible. We really want to do a distillery tour, so we think we'll take a cab to one.

As of Friday, 1 Euro equals $1.35 US

WOW, seems that things are the same today as they were 20 years ago when I was in Martinique...Heres the short version of how my day started..First we book a tour with the ship, get to the start location and meet the cab driver for the first part of the tour. After the 4 of us get into the cab I noticed the driver was more interested in getting us from point A to point B as quick as he could. I wanted to take a few photos So I asked him, several times, if he would stop at several points so we could take a photo...NO NO he does not speak or understand english, OK I can buy that. But to his surprise and mine, one in the couple with us was a French teacher back home, so she asked for him to stop, guess what? Now he does not understand French..So I say to him very nicely as I could at this time as I reached over and grabbed the keys in the ignition, NEXT TIME I ASK YOU TO STOP AND YOU DON'T THEN YOUR KEYS GO OUT THE F------ WINDOW:D...WOW it was a miracle, he now not only understands English but he also speaks it...

Later we hear that very few ships stop at this Island because the locals do not really want them here...But hey what the heck I will be going back someday as it is a beautiful island...Have fun we do...OH, for any that wonder, yes I did get several photos as he stopped each and every time he was asked...:)

I was there in 2007 during my 10 day cruise on the Maasdam.

Once you got outside the gates there was several local guides with pictures of the various attractions they would stop at. The pricing varied on how many people and how long of a tour.

The reviews were mixed on this. It was all the luck on who you got. The main thing was the lack of fluent French. There were some who had a great time in the way of various stops,but most people either didn't speak English or limited amounts. Some still had a great time and others wanted someone around to speak English.

I just spent the day in Fort-de-France. The cost was cheaper with the more people in the van. The ride was short,but the guy spoke English and pointed out various things. He did offer a tour,but none of us wanted to do one.

I spent the day wandering about Fort-de-France and had a great time. I can only speak a few words of French. But I noticed that my efforts to try to speak the language and a smile got me a long way.

There was a poster who was from Martinique (she worked on a cruiseship) that use to visit this board from time to time. She sent me a list of English speaking drivers who offered tours. But I don't know if I kept the list or if they still offer them.

I will try to see if I still have her e-mail and see if I can get a reply. I can't promise you that I will since it's been over a year and half since we e-mailed each other.

----------------

Now playing: Michael Dowdle - Touch

via FoxyTunes

• 2 weeks later...

Martinique has a diverse bustling economy, and tourism is a small fraction of their economy. Martinique is also one of the larger islands. Thus, the enthusiasm you feel from the locals on other islands is lacking in Martinique. I don't quite know how to describe how most of the French feel about Americans. There is a definite feeling of seperation between the two cultures. Unless you are at a hotel, resort, etc. where their livelihood depends on you feeling like you were welcome, the staff was curteous to you, etc. that feeling is lacking in the general population. The French do appreciate it if you try to speak to them in their own language, just as we appreciate being spoken to in our language while we are at home. Smiles and an open frame of mind will go far in Martinique. Cruisers are used to having many options of tour operaters to choose from, and that is not the case in Martinique. That's why there aren't a lot of tour agencies, etc. catering to cruise ship passengers. It is not unusual for the French to not understand English, unless they are connected to tourism. Your best bets are to rent a car, find an English speaking cab driver to take you on a tour or to points of interest you want to see. You may want to chat for a couple of minutes with the driver. Sometimes they know enough English to get you in their cab, but not enought to understand you once you're on the road, take a ship excursion, or walk around on your own. I don't feel I've done an adequate job in trying to describe the differences, but I tried. In the end it is our own attitude that reflects how we look at a situation.

• 4 weeks later...
WOW, seems that things are the same today as they were 20 years ago when I was in Martinique...Heres the short version of how my day started..First we book a tour with the ship, get to the start location and meet the cab driver for the first part of the tour. After the 4 of us get into the cab I noticed the driver was more interested in getting us from point A to point B as quick as he could. I wanted to take a few photos So I asked him, several times, if he would stop at several points so we could take a photo...NO NO he does not speak or understand english, OK I can buy that. But to his surprise and mine, one in the couple with us was a French teacher back home, so she asked for him to stop, guess what? Now he does not understand French..So I say to him very nicely as I could at this time as I reached over and grabbed the keys in the ignition, NEXT TIME I ASK YOU TO STOP AND YOU DON'T THEN YOUR KEYS GO OUT THE F------ WINDOW:D...WOW it was a miracle, he now not only understands English but he also speaks it...

Later we hear that very few ships stop at this Island because the locals do not really want them here...But hey what the heck I will be going back someday as it is a beautiful island...Have fun we do...OH, for any that wonder, yes I did get several photos as he stopped each and every time he was asked...:)

I was there over 20 years ago too. They don't rely on tourism and it showed. Not only a bad taste of Martinique but of the French. Think we will take a ship's tour or skip the port.

• 7 months later...

We very, very seldom ever book ship tours but when even the Martinique Tourism office in Quebec couldn't find me an independent operator for our November visit on the Noordam, we booked HAL's "Land & Sea" tour. It turned out to be one of the best tours we've ever been on, anywhere, for only $80pp. I posted a bunch of photos and commentary on my blog the next day, at http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=563

• 1 year later...
i'm finding it very hard to get information on tour companies in martinique. When i do, the info is in french, and it's been a long time since i took french in high school.:d can anyone help? There hasn't been much activity here.

Judy

call david clovis 586-88-66 he is a great and very reasonable driver who knows the island well

• 10 months later...

This board has been quiet for a while. Does anyone have recent experiences in Martinique that you could offer? Positive or otherwise -- any information would be helpful. The ships tours are few (only 6), expensive and not too interesting. How about getting into the center of town for some shopping and looking around.

Will appreciate thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last February on the Noordam. The ship will dock right in front of the town. It is basic and easy to walk around without getting lost.

When we were there it was the first day of Carnival, so we walked around during the morning, then hung out to see the parade.

I don't think you'll find much shopping. In 4 stops there we never have.

Love the Noordam. She is a great ship:).

We were there last February on the Noordam. The ship will dock right in front of the town. It is basic and easy to walk around without getting lost.

When we were there it was the first day of Carnival, so we walked around during the morning, then hung out to see the parade.

I don't think you'll find much shopping. In 4 stops there we never have.

Love the Noordam. She is a great ship:).

Thanks for this! You likely figured out that we'll be on the Nordam as well - second time on her for us. It is a great ship and we look forward to our trip in Feb. I hope that we too dock in the front of town. We are the only ship in port so there is a good chance it will dock there. I am sure we can entertiain ourselves just walking around town. Shopping isn't all that important, just something to do. Or find a place to sip a cocktail outside and watch the world walk by!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

• 3 years later...

Hi. Thanks for your email. As you already know, my husband and I will be sailing on the Oosterdam (Holland America) leaving Ft. Lauderdale on Monday, January 18th. Most of our shore excursions are in place, with the exception of Martinique. Do any of you have plans with a local tour company and could use another couple in your group? Please respond with any ideas.

Thanks,

GloucesterLady :)

This board has been quiet for a while. Does anyone have recent experiences in Martinique that you could offer? Positive or otherwise -- any information would be helpful. The ships tours are few (only 6), expensive and not too interesting. How about getting into the center of town for some shopping and looking around.

Will appreciate thoughts.

Was just there last week on the Breakaway (1/3-1/17/16). We didn't have anything planned because there was so little information on these boards and we didn't like any of the ships excursions.

We got off and found Alex Arneton, an English speaking tour guide. He gave us his business card email c.a.arneton@gmail.com or telephone 0696 25 86 97. He waited to get 7-8 people total for his van. It only took about 10 mins for him to make it worth his while. We paid $50pp and he gave us a 4 hour island tour which included Sacre Coure (sp?) church, different views of the volcano, an area where the volcano erupted with the ruins, a rum distillery, and I can't remember what else. We could have stopped at a beach but the ocean was rough and he said the local officials had a warning out.

He spoke English very well, and French of course, along with Spanish and Italian. He stopped at various places for us to get out and take pictures and told us whenever we wanted to stop and take a picture he would let us out. Very accommodating!

debbie

• 4 weeks later...
Was just there last week on the Breakaway (1/3-1/17/16). We didn't have anything planned because there was so little information on these boards and we didn't like any of the ships excursions.

We got off and found Alex Arneton, an English speaking tour guide. He gave us his business card email c.a.arneton@gmail.com or telephone 0696 25 86 97. He waited to get 7-8 people total for his van. It only took about 10 mins for him to make it worth his while. We paid $50pp and he gave us a 4 hour island tour which included Sacre Coure (sp?) church, different views of the volcano, an area where the volcano erupted with the ruins, a rum distillery, and I can't remember what else. We could have stopped at a beach but the ocean was rough and he said the local officials had a warning out.

He spoke English very well, and French of course, along with Spanish and Italian. He stopped at various places for us to get out and take pictures and told us whenever we wanted to stop and take a picture he would let us out. Very accommodating!

debbie

We will be there next month on CCL Pride. Was this tour worth it? We have a very port intensive cruise and not sure if it's worth spending the $ and the time at this port with so little info. Can you just walk off the ship and explore the port area? TIA

We have a food passed tour booked next month in Martinique called Karambola tours. It is in English and includes food at all of the stops. They take us dollars and I believe credit cards.

Okay, thanks, I will check it out. Not interested in "food" but maybe they have something else. ;)

We will be there next month on CCL Pride. Was this tour worth it? We have a very port intensive cruise and not sure if it's worth spending the $ and the time at this port with so little info. Can you just walk off the ship and explore the port area? TIA

I thought it was definitely worth it. As "excursions" go, this was only $50 and you had a 4-5 hour tour. Honestly I would avoid Fort de France. It was dirty, the people weren't very friendly, and there were a lot of homeless people around. I'm not saying homeless people are dangerous, but it's not my idea of your typical Caribbean port.

Walking the port area right off the ship is okay. But there were only about 8 vendors there, then you have to stroll into town to find more.

debbie

With a lot of the tours listed on tr. Adv. Website, I went into companies website, translated into English, then sent an email in french using a Google translate English into french. I asked the tour operator if the guides spoke English since my french is not the greatest. I had more responses then I expected. It worked for me but it is time consuming. I have used a Google translate app at work on my phone to communicate with Spanish speaking people and it is helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a ship's tour in Martinique which was very good- we went by buses to St. Pierre, through the Rain Forest, and to Balata Gardens- then to Balata Church. Very good guide named Yves. We were pleased with how good the tour was and thought Balata Gardens were beautiful.