Has anyone done the st barth excursion in st maarten?

We considered the excursion on a previous cruise but decided the time and expense were not worth it.

There are smaller ships with other cruise lines that embark at St Barth's and have itineraries that include an overnight.

This is likely how we will visit at some time in the future.

But to each our own. Good luck!

I've been looking at this also. I've read on the shore excursion forum that some have had bad experiences due to the fact that St. Barths "supposedly" does not care for middle class cruise ship passengers and have closed the shops down in town.

We considered it but by the time you factor in the cost, either with the cruise line or just booking the transportation to St Barths on your own (close to $100 each) and then use of a taxi, plus lunch, for the five of us, we would be spending about $1,000 for the excursion and we would basically have time for a quick look around and lunch before having to get back on the ferry for our return. Just doesn't seem worth it this time around.

The last time we were in St. Barts the locals claimed that the water system was shut down. No drinking fountains, public toilets, water in restaurants.

Let them live in their exclusive life style! :rolleyes:

I've been looking at this also. I've read on the shore excursion forum that some have had bad experiences due to the fact that St. Barths "supposedly" does not care for middle class cruise ship passengers and have closed the shops down in town.

I read the same thing. Maybe is not worth spending the extra money.

Edited by vacationers

• 2 weeks later...

We try to choose itineraries that stop in different ports. Last winter, we stopped in St Barts aboard Celebrity Constellation. It is a small crowded town. It is the RICHEST island I have been to in the Caribbean. The main town is filled with high end shops. (Tiffany's would be a low end shop) We walked around a couple of hours looking at major large yachts and seemingly very rich young folk buying things. It was interesting, kind of like visiting a French port in the Med. I don't know if they dislike cruise ships, but they don't need them. I did manage to buy a tee shirt from a local bar ($25).