Toulon - Sixt Car rental

jelayne

We plan to rent a car in Toulon. In looking at the Sixt web site our locations choices to pick up a car are the train station or city center. Can anyone tell me which is easier & fastest to get to? We emailed Sixt but they replied that they did not know how far the port was from their location!

Other posts had spoke highly of Sixt so we wanted to go with them.

Be careful with car rental in Toulon, as there are 2 possibilities for docking. The first time we stopped in Toulon, on the HAL Rotterdam, we docked right in the city centre (east side of the bay), and the last time we were there, on the Celebrity Equinox (bigger ship), we docked in the newer, larger facilities at La Seyne sur Mer (west side of the bay), which is adjacent to (the west of) Toulon. Try to find out from your cruise line where they are docking--larger ships are tending, of late, to dock at La Seyne, and if so, the closest Sixt location is Avenue Robert Brun, about 2 miles or so from the port (maybe they'll deliver the car/pick you up?). We rented in La Seyne last time from National (Europcar)--they were terrific--we took a taxi there (they reimbursed up to E10, which covered it, if I recall), and then drove us back to the ship when we were done. It's the location at Rond-Point du 8 Mai 1945, 83500 La Seyne-sur-Mer, France

+33 4 94 87 75 98 () ‎ · europcar-provence.f

We really enjoyed the hill town of Le Castellet, and just love the small port/beach town of Sanary-sur-mer, both just short drives away. Cassis, a bit further is interesting, too. Some drive to Aix-en-Provence, which is a longer drive, about 80 kms (50 miles), about an hour by autoroute.

Enjoy Provence!

Kevin

Be careful with car rental in Toulon, as there are 2 possibilities for docking. The first time we stopped in Toulon, on the HAL Rotterdam, we docked right in the city centre (east side of the bay), and the last time we were there, on the Celebrity Equinox (bigger ship), we docked in the newer, larger facilities at La Seyne sur Mer (west side of the bay), which is adjacent to (the west of) Toulon. Try to find out from your cruise line where they are docking--larger ships are tending, of late, to dock at La Seyne, and if so, the closest Sixt location is Avenue Robert Brun, about 2 miles or so from the port (maybe they'll deliver the car/pick you up?). We rented in La Seyne last time from National (Europcar)--they were terrific--we took a taxi there (they reimbursed up to E10, which covered it, if I recall), and then drove us back to the ship when we were done. It's the location at Rond-Point du 8 Mai 1945, 83500 La Seyne-sur-Mer, France

+33 4 94 87 75 98 () ‎ · europcar-provence.f

We really enjoyed the hill town of Le Castellet, and just love the small port/beach town of Sanary-sur-mer, both just short drives away. Cassis, a bit further is interesting, too. Some drive to Aix-en-Provence, which is a longer drive, about 80 kms (50 miles), about an hour by autoroute.

Enjoy Provence!

Kevin

Thanks for the info. We are on the Equinox so it is most likely La Seyne-sur-Mer. I'll try & confirm w/Celebrity.

• 1 month later...
. We rented in La Seyne last time from National (Europcar)--they were terrific--we took a taxi there (they reimbursed up to E10, which covered it, if I recall), and then drove us back to the ship when we were done. It's the location at Rond-Point du 8 Mai 1945, 83500 La Seyne-sur-Mer, France

+33 4 94 87 75 98 () ‎ · europcar-provence.f Kevin

How do you find out about the reinbursed on the taxi? We plan to rent a car with them.

Does anyone have an email address for them? Their "contact form" online doesn't work. I have filled it out but it won't send. I can't seem to find an email address either.

I just spoke to NCL to ask what dock we will be at and they said that they do not know and won't know (we are NCL Spirit on June 14th). It is determined by the captain when the ship arrives. They do say we dock in Toulon but say it can be east or west, whatever that means. They didn't see the "La Seyne sur Mer" as an option. I am wondering how one rents a van or books a driver if you can't give them the location. Does anyone have any ideas? This is crazy and makes it impossible to plan.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
How do you find out about the reinbursed on the taxi? We plan to rent a car with them.

It was a bit last-minute for us...we thought we had a car reserved with Sixt, but, on arrival, when we called them to pick us up, they claimed not to have a reservation for us. A very nice lady with the tourist office at the dock called National for us and set up a rental. We took a taxi there, and they deducted the price (as per the receipt, I think it was maximum 10 Euro, which was just about right). Upon our return, they drove us back to the ship, gratis.

You may want to try to confirm that this is still the case.

Bonne chance!

Kevin

I contacted them because some on these boards say they will drop of the car at the port where you dock. Also we dock early. I wanted the car asap. This was their response

Hello,

We can rent you a vehicle of that class without problem with GPS

However, we can not deliver your car to the port, or you back.

The agency opens at 9:00 am and indeed it is not possible to take a vehicle before .

Best regards

Sixt Toulon

It amazes me in my planning and prep for my travels in Europe how the operators in these countries do not offer product to suite the needs of their customers...= make more money. They simply ask you to fit into their plans and way of how THEY want to run THEIR bussines. And they do not understand why their economies are in trouble.....I know I am generalizing now.....I watched a rerun of Top Gear the other night where Italian police pull of Jeromy Clarckson while filming their quest of driving supercars through Italy. The wanted to arrest him for not having a permit to work on a Sunday!..Sorry I do not mean to sidetrack a perfectly good thread....but I'm fedup of seeing lazy people who do not want to work complain and complain about their lot in life

I contacted them because some on these boards say they will drop of the car at the port where you dock. Also we dock early. I wanted the car asap. This was their response

Hello,

We can rent you a vehicle of that class without problem with GPS

However, we can not deliver your car to the port, or you back.

The agency opens at 9:00 am and indeed it is not possible to take a vehicle before .

Best regards

Sixt Toulon

We had problems with Sixt--they struck us as being aloof and not all that interested in doing business. We were very pleased with National (Europcar) in La Seyne. They were the ones who rented a car to us last minute after Sixt claimed not to have our reservation, and had no cars for us. National/Europcar re-imbursed our taxi fare there (10 Euro), and very cheerily drove us back to the pier at day's end.

Also, it looks like their hours are 0730-1200//1400-1900, on weekdays, so their hours seem to work better for you, too.

Try National?

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
Thx Kevin. I'm in the process of doing just that.

I tried Sixt first as the had nice small convertibles. I was gonna spoil myself and the wife a bit. I always book with Europcar..now I remember why

Do they offer the pick up or drop off at the port? I am planning to rent a car with Eurocar also. It would be nice if they can pick us up or at least drop off at the port.

Thank you.

Archived