Quantas carry on weight limit

rcandkc

Thank all for advise. I have a regulation carry on. I usually take 2 or 3 changes of clothes. I cannot just go buy clothes. All have to be shortened due to my height restrictions 😳. I've weighed it empty and it weighs 8 pounds. It is a hard side. Going shopping for lighter and some what smaller than 22 inch today.

I would look into some "trekking" style pants from Columbia, REI etc. They are super lightweight, and you could easily pack 2 pair and be no heavier than 1 pair of regular pants, and some convert into shorts. Some people aren't a fan of convertible pants/shorts, but again- we are talking about the ESSENTIALS that you could get by with if your checked luggage was lost, and the versatility of these would be a great help in a case like that. Plus they sink launder and hang dry very easily. Similarly, look for a couple easy-to-launder, lightweight tops that can be mixed/matched/layered, so that between those and what you are wearing for travel day, you can get by with a bit less than 3 complete changes of clothes.

Agree on the bag- 8 lbs is heavy for a carry on. There are plenty out there that weigh half that, and if you look, you can find a 20" which will be easier to fit in an overhead than a standard 22", especially in the overhead bins of short haul connecting flights since those bins are often much smaller.

I always bring a change of clothes and enough to last a couple of days, so I agree with the suggestion of trekking style pants. I've researched light weight travel because I often travel alone for work and heavy bags are a drag. There are many brands that supply light weight travel clothes. They are great for cruises too because they are so easy to wash and dry.

I also agree that the USA airlines are different from many (not all) in other countries. I had to warn my husband (who travels a lot less than I) about boarding as soon as possible for coach US domestic flights because the overhead lockers fill up completely very quickly. He was used to getting onboard at his leisure and didn't believe me until he saw what people were bringing on board - all to avoid checked luggage fees.

I/we always travel Qantas/BA/Cathay/Emirates/Finnair in preference to US airlines because there are other aspects that are much better - for example the lounges.