New to Goes and Carry On Only & 311 Rule

Cruiseoholic000

I have signed up for a Goes account (World Wide TSA Pre Check) as I am planning to cruise and vacation more. On my up coming trip I am going to be using my Goes for the first time and for the first time only bringing a carry on and tote (personal item). I have done all my homework on requirements and rules.

I don't have to take my shoes off or a coat. However, do I have to take my 3-1-1 bag out? I found a 3-1-1 bag at Target but don't like the cheap tab on the top (picture on the bottom). It looks like it will break. I have another bag with a nice zipper(top picture). Will the zippered bag be OK as it is a little wider that the Target bag? I understand there are random checks that could happen.

Thanks

2127711644_311bag.jpg.cdc3b2036eefc7337620577ef9315fae.jpg

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

I don't have goes. But going through regular security, I can't remember the last time I was asked to take my liquids bag out.

As long as your bag is 1 quart (or looks like one, not like they are going to fill it with something to check) you should be fine. I just use a 1 quart ziplock bag. Can bring one as a backup in case they care... or put it in the bag in your nice case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never had to take out my liquids from my carry-on domestically or traveling outside the U.S. It's unclear from your port if you are traveling internationally or domestically so it may depend upon where you are going to or coming from. BY THE WAY, the TSA Pre is for domestic flights and the GOES program is for international when returning to the U.S.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BY THE WAY, the TSA Pre is for domestic flights and the GOES program is for international when returning to the U.S.

Not quite. TSA Pre-check covers security screening for outbound flights from the USA on participating carriers. GOES is not any type of program at all - it stands for Global Online Enrollment System and is the process used to apply for Global Entry and other trusted traveller programs. Global Entry is an expedited trusted traveller program that allows for priority immigration and customs processing when returning to the USA from overseas. It is also affiliated with several other country's systems, but I won't get into that here.

So, you have Pre-Check, GOES and Global Entry - all of which are separate items, though they do have some relation to each other.

Not quite. TSA Pre-check covers security screening for outbound flights from the USA on participating carriers. GOES is not any type of program at all - it stands for Global Online Enrollment System and is the process used to apply for Global Entry and other trusted traveller programs. Global Entry is an expedited trusted traveller program that allows for priority immigration and customs processing when returning to the USA from overseas. It is also affiliated with several other country's systems, but I won't get into that here.

So, you have Pre-Check, GOES and Global Entry - all of which are separate items, though they do have some relation to each other.

You are correct about GOES being the acronym for the Global Entry Enrollment but you still may have a double security check at the gate in many domestic airports after the initial TSA screening depending on which country you are flying to.

Edited by 2Fltravelers

I have signed up for a Goes account (World Wide TSA Pre Check)

I don't have to take my shoes off or a coat. However, do I have to take my 3-1-1 bag out? I found a 3-1-1 bag at Target but don't like the cheap tab on the top (picture on the bottom). It looks like it will break. I have another bag with a nice zipper(top picture). Will the zippered bag be OK as it is a little wider that the Target bag?

I've had no issue with assorted clear zipper bags, including those that are wider at the bottom. As long as the bag is quart size it's fine.

Note: You said you have "World Wide TSA Pre Check." I'm not sure what you mean, because the TSA program is not a world wide program. TSA stands for Transportation Security Administration, which is a US Government program. Every country has airport security but TSA is only responsible for security at US airports (and some contract privately to other companies). Having TSA Precheck won't get you any kind of expedited security in other countries.

BY THE WAY, the TSA Pre is for domestic flights and the GOES program is for international when returning to the U.S.

You're a little confused. As Flyertalker said, GOES and GE are technically different things. Assuming you are actually referring to GE, then yes, it's an expedited system to get your through immigration and customs when re-entering the US. TSA Precheck is an expedited security screening system for pax who are departing the US, but it isn't just for pax departing on domestic flights.

Procedures can vary by airport. Yes, if you are Pre, you probably won't have to remove your liquids bag, or your shoes. But you might...and having purchased Global Entry/Pre-check, you are still possibly subject to random searches and full screening.

We also just use simple ziplock bags. No need to buy a special bag that we have encountered, and we travel a fair amount.

As many others have said, Pre is not worldwide, it is only in the US. Global Entry is only for re-entering the US. There are many threads around Cruise Critic with the correct info.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We were in line in Lima, Peru, waiting for the AA bag drop to open for our flight (3 hrs prior to departure). A woman entered the line behind us and said, in a loud voice, "Where is the PreCheck line?"

Lots of eyes rolling...someone quietly told her there was/is no PreCheck line in Peru.

:(

Procedures can vary by airport. Yes, if you are Pre, you probably won't have to remove your liquids bag, or your shoes. But you might...and having purchased Global Entry/Pre-check, you are still possibly subject to random searches and full screening.

We also just use simple ziplock bags. No need to buy a special bag that we have encountered, and we travel a fair amount.

As many others have said, Pre is not worldwide, it is only in the US. Global Entry is only for re-entering the US. There are many threads around Cruise Critic with the correct info.

Close. Global Entry, besides expediting your entry back into the US through Immigration and Customs, also gives access to the TSA Pre-Check lines (subject to the random selection to do the Full Monty). If the OP paid $100, that was Global Entry. If the OP paid $85, it is just TSA Pre-Check.

As for the Kippie Bag: whether or not you are required to take out the bag - up to the TSA clerk on duty, it seems. If I'm in the Pre-Check line, I don't remove the bag. If I somehow get shuffled to the regular line, I just avoid possible confrontation and take it out.

Edited by slidergirl

No need for a special bag. Just use a common kitchen storage one quart zip lock type bag. Like most people we've used this type bag for years and never had a problem.:)

And it is very easy to just pack an extra one or two, just in case your original breaks or whatever. No need for a fancy clear vinyl bag (sold to uncritical vacationers for more money than necessary).

I have signed up for a Goes account (World Wide TSA Pre Check) as I am planning to cruise and vacation more. On my up coming trip I am going to be using my Goes for the first time and for the first time only bringing a carry on and tote (personal item). I have done all my homework on requirements and rules.

I don't have to take my shoes off or a coat. However, do I have to take my 3-1-1 bag out? I found a 3-1-1 bag at Target but don't like the cheap tab on the top (picture on the bottom). It looks like it will break. I have another bag with a nice zipper(top picture). Will the zippered bag be OK as it is a little wider that the Target bag? I understand there are random checks that could happen.

Thanks

Umm; which did you sign up for ??

GOES is the portal with which you can sign up for various border crossing programs such as GLOBAL ENTRY, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST....

Once you have one of these, you're referred to as a "Trusted Traveller" and that trusted traveller # on your reservation will normally get you pre-check; which gets you through TSA (USA only) pre-check lineups for those airports with a pre-check line (not all have it)

if you signed up for NEXUS, you'll also be able to use that to get into a shortcut line at CATSA/ACSTA lineups in Canadian airports.

When entering the United States, you'll also be able to use your status to likely bypass long lineups for regular customs/immigration checks by using NEXUS/GLOBAL ENTRY lineups. It doesn't help entering other countries (except NEXUS -> Canada)

And it is very easy to just pack an extra one or two, just in case your original breaks or whatever. No need for a fancy clear vinyl bag (sold to uncritical vacationers for more money than necessary).

True, but personally I prefer the heavier vinyl zipper bags. One I paid for (just a few bucks at TJMaxx), because it was part of a set of 3 bags and I also had use for the smaller vinyl zipper bags in the set. Another came free, as a perk at a resort, with their logo on it. Both are wider at the bottom and it may be my imagination but I always feel like I can get more in them more easily because of that. It also helps them stand up on the bathroom counter which I like. To each his own. :)

Please nite that pre check is not guaranteed. They still select some people to not receive PRECHECK on your boarding pass. And the Boarding pass is what determines if you use the pre check line. The card is useless and your boarding pass is the only thing TSA looks at to determine pre check.

Please nite that pre check is not guaranteed. They still select some people to not receive PRECHECK on your boarding pass. And the Boarding pass is what determines if you use the pre check line. The card is useless and your boarding pass is the only thing TSA looks at to determine pre check.

True. I've received the random check a few times.

AND, that PreCheck card AND the Trusted Traveler number is USELESS if you DO NOT add it to your flight information/airline profile!!! That is something you have to do yourself - it does not automatically show up.

True, but personally I prefer the heavier vinyl zipper bags. One I paid for (just a few bucks at TJMaxx), because it was part of a set of 3 bags and I also had use for the smaller vinyl zipper bags in the set. Another came free, as a perk at a resort, with their logo on it. Both are wider at the bottom and it may be my imagination but I always feel like I can get more in them more easily because of that. It also helps them stand up on the bathroom counter which I like. To each his own. :)

I'm with you waterbug, my daughter gifted me with a "clear bag" which has tough vinyl and white cloth tapes and a zipper across the top. I then fill this bag with slender tubes that hold shampoo, body wash. Slender vials (RX pill containers with hair gel, face cream, hand lotion, etc etc. This is the whole kit for 30 days -- sits steady on bathroom counter and when zipped goes perfectly down the side of my rolling shopping tote -- the perfect carryon. I have not been taking it out domestically. I just act like I only speak English in foreign airports and they believe me -- I take it out if they gesture enough:)

My tip for traveling is to take a small roll of frebreeze scented tall kitchen garbage can liners. the strong kind (GLAD). Each of us have one as a laundry bag in the cabin -- easy to carry to the laundry room. Keeps smell down in the closet or wherever you have to keep laundry bag. Weights almost nothing and it insures that clothes in that laundry bag go back in suitcase where it belongs and thus no need to reweigh the suitcase (unless you buy more stuff!). The bag stuffs right into suitcase without bothering cleaner stuff.

Also can be used as makeshift rain gear, seat on the beach, etc.