Gig - igu

NorbertsNiece

I will be flying from Rio to Iguazu and have been made aware of a 5kg cabin baggage restriction. I think my laptop weighs almost that much before it goes in its cover. Are they rigorous about weighing bags? Need to figure out a budget for being charged for being overweight.....

Can't get the airport codes to go CAPS

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Thanks. I don't intend to break any rule. My back pack probably weighs 5kg. What do others do?

What I do is to follow the guidelines and rules the airline I am flying on has established.

Is that 5kg empty??? You need to find a new daypack!

(for us metrically challenged, 5kg = 11 lbs)

Is that 5kg empty??? You need to find a new daypack!
Indeed! My carry-on backpack weighs about one-tenth of that!

And my advice about a 5kg laptop is to leave it at home. My laptop weighs about that, so this is an issue which I face. But the bottom line is that a 5kg laptop is not a travelling laptop, so it only comes with me on a trip if there is some unshakeable reason why it must.

5kg cabin baggage restriction. I think my laptop weighs almost that much before it goes in its cover.

TMy back pack probably weighs 5kg. What do others do?

Others travel with lightweight carry on bags, and many travel with a lightweight laptop (such as MacBook Air) or tablet rather than a heavy, full-sized laptop. You have a bag that weights 11 lbs. empty, and a laptop that weights another 11 lbs. That's 22 lbs. of carry on weight, before you add anything else. Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...

It may depend on the airline. We travel with carry on roller boards...about 9-10 kg each. In the last 10 days we have done a Sky flight from Santiago to BA and return flights BA-Iguazu on Aerolineas. Never saw so much as a scale at any of check in points. No one seemed to care. Both airlines had carry on weight restrictions. Both had no charge baggage.

Edited by iancal