Need help with Cozumel excursion please

Hol-meister

Sailing on the NCL Star at Christmas. I have all my excursions booked except for Cozumel and having a hard time deciding what to do.

We are going to Maya Chan in Costa Maya, we are booked with Victor Bodden for private Best of Roatan w/zip lining and we are booked with cave tubing in Belize.

We are looking at the Dune Buggy tour in Cozumel or just going to Paradise Beach or Chakanaab Park.

We are a family of 5. Me, DH, my mom (64 yo), DS (14yo) and DD (11yo). My son, of course, wants to do dune buggies, he wants all the excitement he can get. I'd like to possibly be able to have them be able to snorkel more. I don't know how much opportunity we will be able to have before we get to Cozumel. I also don't want to book a snorkel excursion in Cozumel because I have been to Cozumel before (8 years ago) for a week and we only got in the water twice because of red flag conditions. They don't seem gung-ho on snorkeling but they have never been and I know they would love it once they do it!

I just don't know if I want to pay the $80 pp for the tour and only have a small time to snorkel (but see a lot of the island) and if it's worth it. Last time we were there we did the sandrail excursion which was a lot of fun but we have 5 people this time and that's not going to work out (based on 2 people in a rail).

If we just go to Paradise or Chakanaab is my son going to be dissapointed? Or is he going to be satisfied because of the other excursions we have already planned?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We've done Passion Island, good food and there are beach toys for rent. It's where they film the Corona commercials. There is a speed boat (crazy ride), the regular ferry or even a kayak opportunity to get to the island.

Also, the Nachi Cocoum private beach (book it yourself) is a good time. Food/drinks included and the food is mind meltingly good. Again, toys for rent and other stuff to do. The nice thing about this is they only take 100 people a day so... no crowds!:D

We've done Passion Island, good food and there are beach toys for rent. It's where they film the Corona commercials. There is a speed boat (crazy ride), the regular ferry or even a kayak opportunity to get to the island.

Also, the Nachi Cocoum private beach (book it yourself) is a good time. Food/drinks included and the food is mind meltingly good. Again, toys for rent and other stuff to do. The nice thing about this is they only take 100 people a day so... no crowds!:D

Many beaches have Jet Skiis for rent - much more fun (and clean) than Dune Buggy/Quad......Quad tours are fun but can really "beat you up" and you are so busy zooming around you miss the scenery, your back and butt will thank you

Happy Holidays! You are going to have a wonderful family cruise!

We've done the dune buggy excursion and it was lots of fun, but the snorkeling left much to be desired. That part was short, accessed by a very rocky shore and the fish and coral to be seen was minimal.

I don't actually think Cozumel is a very good snorkeling area any more, due to degradation of the reefs, although it is better if you access it from a boat.

The rest of the dune buggy tour was fine; I'm not sure, except for the actual dune buggy riding, that kids would love it though. We drove up the coast, stopping at several sight seeing places--a small town, a couple of scenic beach areas--ate on the beach--we did swim some here, but it wasn't ideal as it was pretty rough, with rocks--and then went to the 'tequila' factory, which was interesting but not much for kids. Also, at least one of the dune buggies gave out. The beach areas where we were are quite often red-flagged, so you can't go in the water, as I understand.

With kids I'd go to one of the beach areas like those mentioned above, or maybe Paradise Beach. They have water toys (trampoline, etc.) and you could snorkel from shore, though I doubt if you'd see too much. Alternately, this might be a good spot for a snorkeling expedition on a boat. Some of them stop at one of the beach areas for a while too.

It sounds like your other ports are very active, so a nice relaxed beach day might be just perfect. Most kids love the beach anyway, sightseeing not so much.

Please don't be offended by this, but would it be so bad if you had a port of call that wasn't specifically designed to entertain a fourteen year old boy? I'd say that all the other things you have lined up for your family on this trip should be more than satisfactory. And if he's bored one day, he will survive. For Pete's sake. Maybe you will all need a day of relaxed snorkeling. Or just a nap on the beach. ;-)

Please don't be offended by this, but would it be so bad if you had a port of call that wasn't specifically designed to entertain a fourteen year old boy? I'd say that all the other things you have lined up for your family on this trip should be more than satisfactory. And if he's bored one day, he will survive. For Pete's sake. Maybe you will all need a day of relaxed snorkeling. Or just a nap on the beach. ;-)

Not offended :) Was just trying to appease everyone. I thought that our first port day (Christmas) at Maya Chan would be a day of just laying on the beach so that's why I was looking for something else to do.

I think at this point I am leaning towards either Paradise Beach or Chankanaab. I think we will just play it by ear and decide once we get off the ship.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it. I will continue to research.

If you kave young kids, they will love the Dolphinaris. I was there last week. I really enjoyed it. Cab ride from Puerta Langosta pier is about $7 to $10. Dolphnaris provides the transportation back to the pier (free). They have various dolphin programs including an observer pass for those who prefer to just watch. There is a restaurant and facilities on the premises. Although I did not take the ship's excursion, they put the charges on my sea pass card so I did not have to pay them anything on the spot. Perhaps they have some sort of a "charging" arrangement with cruise ships.

You will love the Star! It is a great ship with the best crew!

I did the exact same cruise ports that you are doing last September and we did Maya Chan, Cavetubing with .bz and ziplining in Roatan with Bodden. We also did Chankanaab and loved it so much that we went back 6 months later.

If you are interested and would like to show your children some pictures (of all the places you are going), I have several full reviews with links to pictures at the bottom of each review.

Here's my review from last September:

Maya Chan review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12

Picture link (I forgot to post it in the original thread): IMG_5028-600x450.jpg

Roatan: Zip and Dip with Bodden and monkeys: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30662590&postcount=23 <---this is the zip portion. If you are doing this particular excursion with them, you will go to one of the best snorkeling/diving spots for the "dip" portion. (Although we didn't have any luck because of the rain days before, there is an entire thread on this and where to go and what you'll see if you are interested): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30663211&postcount=24

Belize cavetubing with .bz: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

Our day at Chankanaab: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

We also did the dolphin swim there (which included the price of admission): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

They also have free sealion shows as well.

Here's my second trip to Cozumel 6 months later: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33274360&postcount=48

I know this is a lot of info, but hopefully it helps you out some. :D

We always go to Mr. Sanchos. The kids go to the water park and we sit on the beach, swim, snorkle or whatever we want to do.

We booked Mr. Sanchos as well. After reading reviews, with out age range of kids, 12 thru 16, we figured the all inclusive package would be great for us.

Mitsugirly-thanks for the links to your reviews, what great information! Now I'm really excited!

You're very welcome. I know I always look for reviews similar to mine when I'm trying to pick what to do and it really pumps me up and gets me excited. That's why I like to do a thorough review in return and share our experiences. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Not offended :) Was just trying to appease everyone. I thought that our first port day (Christmas) at Maya Chan would be a day of just laying on the beach so that's why I was looking for something else to do.

I think at this point I am leaning towards either Paradise Beach or Chankanaab. I think we will just play it by ear and decide once we get off the ship.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it. I will continue to research.

We're going to Coz in Feb. and I'm planning on going to Chankanaab.

http://www.**********************cozumel/chankanaab-national-park.asp

(guess I can't post the link--just google Chankanaab. it's right at the top of the search.)

They have 3 levels of dolphin swim/encounter and you get a 25% discount by booking in advance (if booked in December). The swims also include the admission fee ($21 adult/ $14 kids) so only non-participants need to pay to get in. Transportation can be arranged through the park or a cab can be had at the port (according to the forum here) for about $10 each way for up to 4 people. It's a 5-10 minute ride. I've heard that their price is one of the best for dolphin swims and now you can take 25% off of that.

Jeez, I sound like a commercial. I have no affiliation with the park. It just sounds like a good deal to me and I plan to book a swim for my wife and I.

Eagle Ray Divers is the best snorkel outfit in Cozumel hands down! I have booked with them twice and got a "private" snorkel excursion, meaning just the g/f and myself and the price is nice! I even dropped my camera down about 30ft. and the tour guide went down and retrieved it and took 2 pictures of a turtle while he was down there! The tour included a nice lunch too.

Check them out!

http://www.EagleRayDivers.com

We're going to Coz in Feb. and I'm planning on going to Chankanaab.

http://www.**********************cozumel/chankanaab-national-park.asp

(guess I can't post the link--just google Chankanaab. it's right at the top of the search.)

They have 3 levels of dolphin swim/encounter and you get a 25% discount by booking in advance (if booked in December). The swims also include the admission fee ($21 adult/ $14 kids) so only non-participants need to pay to get in. Transportation can be arranged through the park or a cab can be had at the port (according to the forum here) for about $10 each way for up to 4 people. It's a 5-10 minute ride. I've heard that their price is one of the best for dolphin swims and now you can take 25% off of that.

Jeez, I sound like a commercial. I have no affiliation with the park. It just sounds like a good deal to me and I plan to book a swim for my wife and I.

Thanks Frank. After posting this originally, I ended up booking a dolphin swim for my two kids at Chankanaab. I was going to go for the 25% off option but when I went to book it at their website they had a Black Friday deal (that they had extended until Nov 30th) and I got it BOGO free! So, Chankanaab it is. I hadn't really planned on the dolphin swim, but we were gifted with some money and decided to splurge so that tipped the scales to the dolphins. The kids don't know, it's a surprise:D

Archived