Seabourn vs. Oceania

cuddles115

I agree, both are enjoyable - I personally think that Oceania edges the food but Seabourn the accommodation and service. Please don't be put off Seabourn - things are changing, yes, and we humans can be creatures of habit and you know, quick to condemn, slow to praise but, this will be our third cruise this summer on the Odyssey and Seabourn are still my favourite out of Oceania and Regent.

I just read about Oceania's new comprehensive vegan menus, which look rather tempting and delectable, and so I spent a few days checking it out online, in general and on cruisecritic in particular.

For what I consider important, their vegan offerings may be the only advantage; everything else seems inferior. However, I have never experienced their product, but I know some Seabourn veterans who enjoy Oceania almost as much: they say it's half a star below SB.

Everyone's criteria are different, obviously, so don't just listen to us!

Just to clarify, not that most people on here would care the least bit... Seabourn's vegan and vegetarian dishes are good, but after 8+ years on Seabourn, they are repetitious and are starting to get boring and uninspired to me. In fact, I dug up my SB menus from 2010 and found that the exact same vegetarian dishes are still on offer (my last cruise was in Jan & Feb of this year). The only new veggie dishes have been around 7 of them from the TK menu inserts in the Restaurant, the eggplant dish in TK Grill, and the 2 grilled veggie main dishes at Ad Hoc/Colonnade.

I have started to special request dishes from time to time, but that gets to be too much work, for me and for them.

I think Techno123 above is right on the money. We did Oceania Panama Canal in December, on the 675 passenger former R-ship. And now this week finished the transatlantic on Seabourn Quest with 450. First cruises on both lines. Here's my take, strictly personal opinion:

The food on Oceania was significantly better than Seabourn to me. The prep, presentation, imagination, and taste is the best we've had. Seabourn somehow manages to cook the taste out of a lot of their dishes, especially seafood. On the other hand, Oceania's buffet tended to be a chaotic mess at times compared to the relaxed atmosphere in Seabourn. And though I usually despair of finding a good steak on a cruise, the TK Grill's ribeye was a steak for the ages.

Service, however, is more hit and miss at Oceania. In the MDR there are sometimes folks who should be in a different line of work. Seabourn's staff are marvelous everywhere.

The cabins: Seaborn by a mile. Roomiest cabin we've seen (we're not "penthouse" types). Storage and bathroom facilities much better on Seabourn.

Entertainment: Oceania hands down. They had a real band, a quartet, and some great solo entertainers. Seabourn has a trio, a couple of lounge singers, and a guy who made dog-shaped balloons in his underwear.

Speakers: Tie. Both had great speakers, though the topics were different.

Finally, Seabourn was all-inclusive (except for excursions and the ridiculous internet fee), while Oceania applied ripoff rates for wines and drinks, and also for their excursions. This needs to be kept in mind when comparing rates.

We were happy with both. Each excells in their own thing.

the prices of the wines and drinks are onerous on Oceania

cheapest bottle of champagne : 102 $ + 18 % service

very small measures of spirits

only way to escape : full beverage package

the food is very decent , in speciality restaurants better as in MDR

service in MDR on Oceania is sometimes very "soso"

disembarkation on Oceania is a nightmare

excursions and transfers to airport on O : usury is the word.

vistaman is comparing to Hapag Lloyd ships. Their food (quality and variety), service, cabins, and organizational skills are the best I have ever experienced. However, Oceania is wonderful and I preferred several things, amongst others the beds and the cruise fare. ( I don't drink alcohol.) Try it and find out whether Oceania is for you.

vistaman is comparing to Hapag Lloyd ships. Their food (quality and variety), service, cabins, and organizational skills are the best I have ever experienced. However, Oceania is wonderful and I preferred several things, amongst others the beds and the cruise fare. ( I don't drink alcohol.) Try it and find out whether Oceania is for you.

i did 16 seabourn cruises as well ...

I'm a fan of both - SB and the big O.

There are things SB does a lot better: personalized service - they know what you want after a few days, personal space on the ship, service attitude of crew, included drinks and tipps, friendly atmosphere amongst passengers, luxurious special events (caviar by the pool, marina day), etc....

And there are things that are better on O: food! Better buffet restaurant (esp. fruit selection, variety of salads, soups taste much better, desserts, ice creams.) Specialty restaurants on O give you a lot of menu variety which is sadly not available on SB.), room service better and presentation nicer. Butler service in penthouse is superb as is the cabin layout! Pool loungers much more comfortable.

If the price is right and the itinerary what you are looking for BOTH cruise lines deliver an excellent product!

• Like 1

We just cruised on Oceania because we wanted to be with 2 other couples. We have over 200 days on Seabourn. The 2 cannot compare. Oceania lounges were filled at 6:00 because everyone got there early for happy hour. Drinks were very small--you had to order doubles which cost $22++. Food was good. But service was not good. We had a couple next door that kept their TV on until the wee hours We were in a Penthouse Suite. Management would not do anything about it. Made sleeping impossible.

Will never cruise Oceania again.:(

sassyw,

i once did compare the measures on O : the size as a spoon of cough syrup ...

i had a similar neighbour on the seabourn legend once - she did visit the bar until late and felt asleep watching movies loudly

the problem was very good handled by security and the day afterwards by the hotel manager ( after the second time )

M&PGer... : i like the big "O" as well - as a martini :D

my problem with O as line are the extremely high prices for wines and the nearly always hefty "double " single sup. ( was twice in Ph )

The biggest joke on Oceania is the two for one drinks at Happy Hour. Everyone rushes there to take advantage of this big ripoff. You need both drinks to equate a normal drink so you are not saving a penny and you have to fight for a sea. Plus who wants to rush to have drinks between 5 and 6PM?

Still there are some great positives on O. The specialty restaurants are terrific but the MDT looks like a giant catering hall to me. I kept expecting to see a bride and groom making the rounds of the tables to see if everyone is having a good time.

Auldladdie and I have cruised both and enjoyed both. But they were different.

We could afford a larger suite with Oceania than with Seabourn and we enjoyed the space, especially the large balcony. We bought the drinks package on Oceania. I wouldn't like to do without that as I do not want to be counting the cost of drinks as I go along. I'd rather just pay it and then forget about it, but it was a pain having to continually show your drinks package card, albeit a small pain. We thought the food was generally much better on Oceania than on Seabourn and entertainment and lectures very similar standard on both. Service on both was generally very good, especially if you make an initial effort to engage with the staff at dinner, in the bar etc, although ultimately I'd say it was perhaps slightly friendlier on Seabourn. It is more likely that staff will get to know you and your service preferences on the smaller Seabourn ship, if that matters to you.

Despite the larger size of the Oceania ship we tried, it never seemed too crowded. In fact on our Med cruise in summer, we felt the bars were often very quiet in the evenings. Maybe Oceania folks went to shows or to bed, but not the bars post-dinner, unlike those on our Seabourn and Crystal cruises.

One difference which is very hard to pin down, or explain, was that we just felt less "in tune" with our fellow passengers on Oceania. We didn't quite completely "click" with the folks we met, neither as solidly nor as frequently, as we did on Seabourn (or Crystal). Once or twice we even felt like fish out of water. Perhaps it was us. I am definitely not laying any blame at all, just stating how we felt.

Would I cruise Oceania again? Yes. The food is outstanding and the accommodations on board excellent. Those 2 factors would probably be sufficient in themselves for us to cruise Oceania again. Meanwhile, we are looking forward to cruising on Encore in August and hopefully, once again, meeting fellow passengers that we feel very much in tune with and some we will keep in touch with, as friends, long after the cruise. Seabourn cruises for us have had that special difference. For others it might be that Oceania offers that. You have to try it to find out, I guess.

For us, apart from the speciality restaurants which we thought were excellent. We were struggling with the service levels on O, even with a penthouse. I also found staff in the buffet breakfast room surly at times, and there were lots of little things, for example there was very little choice of fruits at breakfast, no fresh berries, only compotes. Small things, but made a big difference. O is Much better than Azamara though!

One difference which is very hard to pin down, or explain, was that we just felt less "in tune" with our fellow passengers on Oceania. We didn't quite completely "click" with the folks we met, neither as solidly nor as frequently, as we did on Seabourn (or Crystal). Once or twice we even felt like fish out of water. Perhaps it was us. I am definitely not laying any blame at all, just stating how we felt.

I've listened to identical comments from at least ten other people.

We're on Oceania now, our 14th cruise. Had our first with Seabourn in February HKG-HKG. We were staunch O loyalists but no more. Seabourn may cost more upfront but in the long run, Seaborn is a far superior product. Cabins way more spacious includng bathrooms, quality of food and service , laundry prices, tender services, and quality of drinks.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Forums mobile app

Like most of these articles this one is filled with inconsistencies and wrong impressions. Choosing Oceania to go to Alaska is no longer an issue. Choosing Oceania if you're a foodie inso better than choosing Seabourn if your'e a foodie. The bottom lines if you're willing to squeeze into a tiny cabin, pay high prices for drinks, excursions, wifi and tips but like good food and nice ships Oceania is for you. BUT if you want a cabin comparable in size to Seabourn you must book a penthouse on Oceania and you will be paying more on O than on SB.

Wripro, my experience differs from yours. When we booked an Oceania penthouse for our Med cruise last year it was much cheaper than a similar itinerary Veranda Seabourn cruise, even with the drinks package. This possibly varies from time to time, but I did search quite a few itineraries back then and Seabourn was always more expensive.

Wripro, my experience differs from yours. When we booked an Oceania penthouse for our Med cruise last year it was much cheaper than a similar itinerary Veranda Seabourn cruise, even with the drinks package. This possibly varies from time to time, but I did search quite a few itineraries back then and Seabourn was always more expensive.

You may have found a specific itinerary which offered good deals but if you look across the board you will see that PH on Oceania with all the attendant extra expenses typically costs the same as or more than a V1 or V2 verandah suite on SB. At least that is what my research has told me. I have sailed O several times and do like it but always in a PH and by the time I pay my onboard account it runs the same as or more than SB.

Okay...just my two cents. We've cruised quite a bit on Oceania and Seabourn. Both fabulous products and wonderful vacations. A bit different though. Certainly, less passengers or a greater passenger space ratio on Seabourn. So much can depend on actual itinerary, crew on board and fellow passengers. The vibe can change from cruise to cruise. Oceania probably wins a bit in the food department. However, my wife and I also find Seabourn excellent. There are some aspects of Oceania which are very polished compared to Seabourn such as amazing room service presentation on Oceania and Seabourn seems a bit Carnival like by comparison. One interesting difference is the pool area. Seabourn has the same damn' lounges found on Carnival and Holland America by the pools with no cushions and they always give us a back ache after only a short time of lounging. Oceania has very comfy lounges with cushions and terry cloth covers. This may seem petty, but the Oceania Marina and Riviera have sliding balcony doors which make accessing the balcony easier and seems to make for more balcony space. Seabourn ships have doors that swing out onto the balcony which makes dining on the balcony difficult if you wish to go in or out. On Seabourn crew you have never met seems to learn your name quickly and learn your special preferences. There is never a "no" on Seabourn. I think the crew would do anything for their guests. Oceania has a little more of a mass market feel, but we have encountered terrific staff as well - just not as polished as on Seabourn. The all inclusive nature of Seabourn is a game changer with a more inviting and engaging happy hour time in my opinion. I will say to have to choose between Oceania and Seabourn is a privilege and in my humble opinion you can't go wrong with either.

• Thanks 1

I will say to have to choose between Oceania and Seabourn is a privilege and in my humble opinion you can't go wrong with either.

Fantastic comparison by californiacruiseluvrs but that last comment (quoted) really hit the nail on the head for me. Despite all of the first world problems that are quoted on these boards, the fact that we can afford to indulge in a cruise on any of these lovely ships means we are very privileged in comparison to so many other people in this world.

I have been on the O Riviera twice in the last year. Once in PH and once in Extended Balcony.

Both cruise exceeded my expectations. Food in all venues was smashing along with service. I like the size of their two larger ships. I have been on all the luxury lines except Seabourn. ( have booking on Sojourn this August ) I feel Oceania can compete with the best of them. Will let you know how the two compare after my Seabourn cruise in August.