Ko Yao Noi & KL with Windstar?

roaming_kiwi58

I tried asking about Ko Yao Noi on the Asia Ports of Call Forum, with no responses, so am trying here, as there do seem to be one or two two cruisers around who have done these ports with Windstar.

We are booked on a Windstar cruise which has a stop at Ko Yao Noi Island.

Our preference is to walk around any sights on our own, but there doesn't seem to be anything worth walking to. I was assuming we will tender to the pier in the middle of the eastern side of the island, but realise now there are actually three piers on the island that seem to be regularly used by boats from other islands.

I am struggling to find much about this place. Has anyone been there and able to give me any info, please?

I am also interested in what people thought of any of the 5 shore excursions to Kuala Lumpur. I find the descriptions very vague and have asked Windstar for clarification, but some days later have so far had no response.

When they say "see" various sights do they mean actually visit them, or just drive past in a bus? Only one tour mentions any lunch, but given the length of the tours, do the others give you free time to get your own? (We are actually more interested in the free time to do some wandering on our own, rather than the lunch.) The tour that includes the KL tower makes it clear you go up the tower for the views. Another tour mentions the Petronas Tower, but does it mean you just see it, and don't actually go up it?

Any comments from anyone who has done Ko Yao Noi and/or KL with Windstar would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, we did the Singapore cruise in December 2014. The island of Ko Yao Noi is very small and completely undeveloped. Rural, with the odd small cafe strung along the coast line, the scenery is very beautiful but there's no action. Your best bet is to take the tender to the pier and walk towards a beach for 30-60 mins and swim. The bottom will be mostly muddy but there is sand on the beaches. Don't expect to see your feet through the silt. Water tepid. Organise a local cafe (few and far between) to ring a taxi ($USD5) to take you back to the pier. It's extremely hot and humid so leave as early as possible and then return to the ship for a swim off the sports platform. Some other passengers did the Windstar boat trip ($220) at KYN and raved about it but we cancelled as the boat trip from Phuket the day before was a MASSIVE disappointment. Everyone on board the Phi Phi Island trip from Phuket was upset that this trip wasn't anywhere near Windstar standards. Organise an independent trip that takes you to a quiet island with a beach and snorkelling whilst in Phuket. Do not go to Phi Phi with 7000 other day trippers.

In regards to KL, we organised a local taxi to take us to the Port Kelang rail station and easily caught a train to KL. The trains run every 30 mins and it's about an hour to KL. This may be quicker than the Windstar coach depending on the horrible KL peak traffic. We toured the KL train station, Chinatown and all the Colonial sights on foot and sighted all the Windstar passengers along the way. We easily returned to Kelang on the train and taxis are waiting at the station. Total cost was $35USD for two. The Windstar cost was $120 per person. We have friends who did the Petronas Tower trip and they said it was okay.

My big recommendation is to do the cooking course in Penang at the Spice Gardens. A highlight, even if cooking isn't your thing.

By the way, the Star Pride was undergoing extensive renovations (they must be complete by now), but it had lovely new sun lounges and interior dining furniture. The crew were fabulous and the food excellent in the rear terrace at night in Candles and in the main dining room, Amphora.

Thanks scoutnj for your comments.

The day trip to Phi Phi from Phuket is not running on our departure, because they have changed the itinerary. They deleted the port of Lumut/Ipoh, and added a day at Phi Phi.

Not sure this trip is going to come up to expectations, but time will tell! At least it is all new territory for us.