Cancun In January first week 2012!

ROMEOANDJULIET91

We are going to Cancun the first week in January. I had some questions...

We are interested in the BOB (personal mini sub) and wanted to know if the water will be too cold?

Also, since it is our first trip there...what are the must do's. We will be there for six days so we will have plenty of time to relax and party.

Thanks,

Maria

We were at the RIU Cancun January 2010, we were very lucky as that was a very cold and wet month and the weather abruptly warmed when we arrived. But usually it will be decent and yes the ocean is quite comfortable. The pools can be on the chilly side depending on the size.

We did the bullfight, not for everyone.

We took the 2-person speedboats out of the lagoon and through the mangroves into the ocean to snorkel the reef.

We also took a day sail to Isla Mujeres (our 3rd visit there). I would suggest a day there, whether you ferry or sail, just get a golf cart and see the island.

The dinner show at the Hacienda Sisal is said to be fun (at the Roayl Sands), we haven't made it there yet.

We also stay Playa Del Carmen before our Cancun stay, let me know if you will be going there at all.

We are going to Cancun the first week in January. I had some questions...

We are interested in the BOB (personal mini sub) and wanted to know if the water will be too cold?

Also, since it is our first trip there...what are the must do's. We will be there for six days so we will have plenty of time to relax and party.

Thanks,

Maria

As the previous post mentioned, sometimes January can get a bit cool, so you may need to wait until you are there to know the real answer to your question. In January I've found the ocean to be warm, but if you plan to spend any time at a resort pool, be sure you stay at a resort with heated pools (not all of them are).

THE must do, in my opinion, is a trip to Chichen Itza. It is a spectacular site, and in January the jungle will be more tolerable than in the warmer months.

Any other things to do, really would depend on the type of activities you are interested in.

Snorkeling - Akumal, or Isla Mujeres North Shore (though I'm not really a fan of Isla Mujeres as a day trip)

Adventure Parks - Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Xplore (you can get a pass to all three)

Shopping and People Watching: La Isla an outdoor mall

Night Club: Coco Bongos or DadyO

Other archeological sites in my order of preference: Coba, Ek Balam, Tulum

and if you can't get to any of the outlying sites, then El Rey Ruins in the Hotel Zone near the Hilton.

If you haven't found it already, you may want to check out CC's sister site Trip Advisor. The Cancun forum is very active.... check it out

TA Cancun Forum

Yes bsq is quite right about TA, it is a very useful resource for each destination. The real experts for these destinations are on TA and also check TTOL for the BVI, USVI, and SXM (traveltalkonline.com). That is the best resource for these areas.

If your interest is indeed the ruins and history I would seriously look at staying in the Riviera Maya region since the majority of sites as well as Xelha, Xcaret, and Xplor are there or that is a better base. We stay in the Playacar gated community and we are within minutes of these and a short drive to Tulum. Just a thought, really depends on your interests.

If you are staying in Cancun I would do a day or half day on Isla Mujeres. We enjoyed 2 visits there because it's a laid back pace and the people are great. W went this 3rd time so oir friends could see it they enjoyed that as part of their day. Not alot to do, shop and tour the island on a golf cart or scooter. For us lunch on the south tip by the ruins is first and the drive along the east coast is beautiful, the cemeteries are really something to see, and a stop at Jax and North Beach is a great ending. We did the North shore snorkel 3 weeks ago and it was very nice, great day sail too. I wouls prefer to stay in IM and visit Cancun for a day but ,y wife prefers staying at the RPLA or RIU cancun because of the proximity to the shopping and sights. The mall just across the street here (km8.5 I believe) has really been built up and we didn't need to go to the others.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a fan of Isla Murjes at all. Especially in the winter months. You will likey find the ocean warmer than the pools as most hotels do not heat their pools.

You will find most day trip things will be closer to the area of Playa del Carmen and you will have to endure a long drive getting to that area. I tell most people who like to sight see wile in the area that Playa is their better option to stay because its much closer to the "touristy" places. Cancun definately has more shopping and night life.

That being said, if you like to snorkel a day trip to Xel-Ha would be fun. Xplor is my absolute place to visit while there. I think this would be a great place to visit during the cooler months because not everything is water related there. If you like a little adventure its a great place. Ziplines are awesome, underground rivers, ets. You can check out their website.

Some of the ruins would be a must for me if you haven't ever seen them. Chichen Itza is one of the new seven wonders of the world, but you can't climb up the steps anymore. Coba is my preference as you can still climb to the top of the pyramid if you wish to do it. Both will be a very long day from Cancun.

Enjoy your trip.

Wahlflower I would definitely recommend a 1/2 day on Mujeres Or as part of a day sail IF the OP is staying In Cancun as thete aren't that many options from there other than those you can do anywhere. The south and east coast of IM is beautiful, and driving through the residential area and north end is interesting. Beyond that mamy people prefer to stay there because it is a unique place.

And the bullfight in Cancun is certainly something we would not seecat home.

I woud strongly suggest the RM over Cancun however if exploring ruins is a desire.

It's all a matter of what experience one is interested in.

I know some people like it there and some people dont. I personally would rather lay on the beach in Cancun then wast my time on that island. I absloutely hated everything about it and I love Cancun/Playa del Carmen and travel there one to two times per year for the past several years.

Wahlflower I would definitely recommend a 1/2 day on Mujeres Or as part of a day sail IF the OP is staying In Cancun as thete aren't that many options from there other than those you can do anywhere. The south and east coast of IM is beautiful, and driving through the residential area and north end is interesting. Beyond that mamy people prefer to stay there because it is a unique place.

And the bullfight in Cancun is certainly something we would not seecat home.

I woud strongly suggest the RM over Cancun however if exploring ruins is a desire.

It's all a matter of what experience one is interested in.

I know some people like it there and some people dont. I personally would rather lay on the beach in Cancun then wast my time on that island. I absloutely hated everything about it and I love Cancun/Playa del Carmen and travel there one to two times per year for the past several years.

To each their own as they say...

I just don't want someone who hasn't been someplace to get a bad opinion of it and not ever try it. That would be a real shame, much worse than trying someplace and not caring for it.

Just trying to be balanced, but I am biased toward Playa Del Carmen myself.

Archived