Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

With more than one thread discussing the dress code on Regent, it seems that having one thread discussing this issue would enable Regent to read posts regarding this subject in one area.

What do you think? Are jeans and shorts appropriate on Regent when dining in CR, P-7, Signatures and Sette Mari in the evening?

Travelcat2,

I say no. Please, please uphold the elegant casual dress code. A lot of us love getting dressed for dinner (not formal but nice). I wonder what people are thinking who spend a lot of money for a lovely cruise and then want to wear jeans to dinner.

Only before 6pm, this is a very slippery slope! Regent is a 6 Star line and before getting on a Regent ship you know the dress code ahead of time. Sail with another cruiseline if you don't want to put on a pair of slacks and a nice top....

Next thing we will call the dress code "Casual Friday's" NOT

IMHO my very short answer is NO!

I agree it's a slippery slope. People already push their luck (not sure if it's deliberate) and seem to get away with it sometimes. The Regent dress code is already pretty relaxed and easy to comply with compared to other lines but there is a bottom line and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to change out of their beachwear and/or jeans for dinner.

with more than one thread discussing the dress code on regent, it seems that having one thread discussing this issue would enable regent to read posts regarding this subject in one area.

What do you think? Are jeans and shorts appropriate on regent when dining in cr, p-7, signatures and sette mari in the evening?

no !!!!!!

"I wonder what people are thinking who spend a lot of money for a lovely cruise and then want to wear jeans to dinner." I'm on holiday! Too much dressing up for work related events.

YES - for SM and lounges, which was the original question

Please no jeans. If you can't manage a pair of khakis or the like, perhaps you should pick another cruise line. Besides jeans take more space to pack than dress slacks. Besides I don't know of any country club that allows jeans either in the dining room or on the golf course.

Debi

I wonder what people are thinking who spend a lot of money for a lovely cruise and then want to wear jeans to dinner.

I'm thinking... this is what I'm most comfortable in. I don't find dressing up to be "comfortable". Sure, it feels good to do it every once in a while but not every single night. I don't wear dressy clothing to work and neither does my husband so I don't own a wardrobe of fancy clothing. (He works in management for a major freight company and I work in IT).

But with that said, I am okay with following the dress code if I know that's what I signed up for. I just find it a bit silly not being able to dress nicely in my jeans and a comfortable shirt if I want to. But then my 16 year old seems a little perturbed (but never complains) when I tell him he can't wear a sleeveless shirt out to dinner. :)

A cruise ship is a microcosm of the real world. NO jeans after 6pm does not reflect this. Relaxation should be part of the cruise experience - this does not mean I would want to wear beach wear to dinner, but I think Mark Conroy has the last word here in regards to certain parts of the ship and where it's OK to be a bit casuaL

This, however, needs to be made public on the Regent ships information pages.

My observation of his various interviews on Youtube would suggest he's a fairly laid back kinda guy. Is the definition of jeans bigger than the issue of well dressed versus shabby?

I was seated in a lounge having a drink after an excursion (on the Navigator) and at 6:15 I was approached and asked to change for the evening. I was wearing jeans. I happen to love the fact that Regent enforces a dress code because it sets the tone for the evening. My jeans were not the type that I think Wendy is referring to, they were well worn Levis.

My concern would be if jeans are allowed, would people show up in Levi's? I don't think it would bother me if everyone showed up in tailored, dress jeans but I don't think that would be the case. How can they tell one passenger that his jeans are allowed and ask another to change? In fact, one gentleman was asked to change and the request resulted in an argument between him and a few staff members. I think the issue was whether or not they were "jeans". He did not change.

As far as shorts go, I don't think they belong at dinner. As I tell my children, "when it becomes too much trouble to put on a pair of pants, it is time to stop cruising".

To me, it is much simpler just to say, no jeans and no shorts.

There are definitely different degrees of jeans as well as shorts. Dress shorts can be long and look nice with a collared shirt on men...but Daisy Dukes are shorts as well and not quite appropriate. Same goes for worn jeans vs dressy jeans. I think it is too much interpretation. One casual venue is nice to have on a cruise but I don't see that jeans are much more comfortable than say khakis.

Well - I guess I'm going to swim against the tide and float an opposing viewpoint. Hopefully, I'm sticking to the thread's topic and not breaking another "rule". Rules and policies can and should evolve over time, based upon changing demographics and social custom. As a responsible executive who is looking out for his company, I believe that is exactly what Mr. Conroy is trying to do - in a measured and incremental way. Why are we not still insisting upon tuxedos and formal gowns for dinner? Afterall, that's the way it "used to be" on all cruiselines, if you go back far enough. There was a competition among the wealthy class to see who could wear the most "bling" at dinner. If many of you had your way - that seems to be where you'd like to be again.

Of course in that era, cruising as a past time was also restricted to the very wealthy/snooty/uppercrust who had no desire to "mix with the rabble and the masses", either. For those of moderate income, cruising was only for transportation (steerage) and certainly not recreation. I suppose there may be some who'd even like to return to those "good old days", as well. Of course, they were only the "good old days" for those who could afford it! And that particular group of people (the wealthy) also tried to make damn sure that they were the ONLY ones who could afford it and worked very hard to keep the "up and coming" out of their little club. I have read a few past reviews on this same board, from new/first-time cruisers who really sensed the same attitude of a "club atmosphere" among some of the longtime Regent cruisers on their respective cruises. The "newbies" felt they were only being "let in" on a trial basis until their "acceptability" was "checked out".

If Mr. Conroy's "opinion" (about casual clothing in SM at night) is not good enough to be considered "policy" by "the club", than what would be? Must everything be a formally written statement (that can be shoved in other peoples' faces - as appropriate) before it becomes a "rule"? Some even seemed to be saying "if you don't like our rules on our ship than go somewhere else". That might be the way things are handled in other countries but not in America. Last time I checked, Regent is an American Company. Are certain cruisers spending too much vacation time walking around the ship looking for "rule breakers"? The original question (clothing in the evening) was framed too broadly and answered (so far) by many respondents too narrowly without any room for nuance, adjustment, or modification that circumstances might reasonably warrant. The question is worded as to require a simplistic "yes/no" answer.

Should jeans and/or shorts be allowed in P7 or CR in the evening? Probably not at this time (but I'm willing to bet that it will be different 10 years from now - when many of us are pushing up daisies or at least not cruising anymore!) Should jeans and/or shorts be allowed in SM/LV in the evening? Maybe - and probably "yes" - if that's the way management (Mr. Conroy) sees it as being in the best interest of a good portion (not necessarily the majority) of his customers or within the framework of the industry that he's operating in.

If you are sitting in CR in your slacks and dress shirt, and I'm sitting in SM in a pair of shorts and a polo shirt - I should not be adversely affecting "your enjoyment" of your dinner in any way! Unless, of course, you're the type of person who worries and frets too much about what everyone else is "doing", and spends hours of your life fretting over "slipping standards"! Likewise, if you're sitting in the theater in slacks and a dressy top enjoying a production number, and I'm sitting up on the pool deck in shorts and a polo shirt enjoying a cigar (if that's allowed) and a scotch - It should be none of your business what I'm wearing! I think a little more flexibility is in order and what might apply to P7 or CR in the evening should not necessarily have to apply to the rest of the ship. I think that those of us on CC represent a very small percentage of the overall cruising public. Mr. Conroy must consider his total customer base - not just "us". And I don't think that being in the "1%" should entitle you to "two votes" while everyone else (the 99%) gets just "one vote".

Given the limiting constraints of the OP question - put me down as a "conditional YES". ((For the record, I can enjoy a good steak or crab legs whether I'm dressed in a pair of shorts or slacks. I feel sorry for anyone who can't. I can also enjoy a meal at a restaurant even if they don't take reservations)). Regards.

My general answer is "no". However, I must say we were very happy on our Midddle east cruise last year when we were met as we boarded the ship after returning from some very long coach rides in the early evening hours. We were told we were welcome to go straight upstairs for dinner without changing clothes. We freshened up and then went for dinner. It was a releif, as we were tired and hungry. We looked presentable, but were not in coutry club casual. Of course, with the change over to SM that may no longer be an option and room service will be it.

I live in rural Florida across the road from a 50,000 acre cattle ranch. 85% of the time I wear work shorts (jeans in the very coldest weeks) and 12% of the time, dressier shorts. I wear shorts to dinner, shorts to go shopping, shorts to go to the doctor...I don't wear shorts to church, but half of the rest of the congregation does, mostly the younger folks. I think there's a grain of truth in what pingpong1 says, because in MY youth, people wore suits and ties to church -- and in my father's day, people wore suits and ties (and hats -- mostly homburgs) to a ball game. That's changed.

Now I'm an old curmudgeon, and I wouldn't think of wearing shorts to church! That's just MY standard for myself. Same with the cruise ships -- they are my opportunity to try gourmet cuisine, to dress with elegant casualness, to be pampered. Even if and when I sail something like NCL, where shorts are allowed in all but two dining rooms and jeans are allowed everywhere, I "dress" for dinner and ignore the other guests.

I always bring at least one sports coat on every cruise and enjoy wearing them about 75% of the evenings. Should everyone do the same, because I do? Of course not.

Even on the mass market line, there are relatively few who push the envelope -- most cruisers try to wear their "Sunday best" at dinnertime. There are just more of that type of cruiser on Regent.

I'm in favor of allowing nice jeans or shorts (not ripped or torn, and not risque) in the most casual dining areas for dinner. It's a fallback setting for those who are tired or have just returned from a late excursion. Unfortunately, now that La Veranda has gone upscale, that's limited to the pool grill on Regent, which doesn't serve dinner. I guess the only fallback for the folks who want to forego "cleaning up" for dinner now is room service.

On Oceania, which has a nearly identical dress code (both brought to you by the same management), the Terrace Cafe (the equivalent of La Veranda) is still a bit more casual, and you won't be turned away in nice jeans or nice shorts -- but most people "dress" for dinner, there, too. I've never worn shorts or jeans to dinner there -- but that's MY preference, and I ignore folks who do.

One other thing -- Regent used to explicitly state the dress code applies to the entire ship after 6 PM. I don't know if that is still official policy.

Both Regent and Oceania tend to treat guests like adults. Guests should reciprocate and act like responsible adults.

Archived