Skagway - Car or Train?

CruzLover80

Okay, so we are going to Alaska with NCL in May/June and I have determined what we will be doing in each port. I've read mixed reviews of White Pass train in Skagway, some say it's a must do and others say it was boring. We are cruising Alaska on a budget, normally those two words don't belong in the same sentence, but I've done a pretty good job of it.

I like to make the most of my port time. Would I regret spending the $119 per person on the train for 3 1/5 hours? Or would renting a car and taking a self-guided road tour be just as amazing? Renting a car and gas will run me around $150. total.

What are your thoughts?

YOU have to determine what YOUR interest is, nobody can decide this for you.

Do YOU want to take the train? Are you interested in trains and history? You have the cost in your post, is this what is important to you? (with you really not wanting to spend it?)

Questions to ask yourself and you to honestly answer. :)

Both of these choices are excellent and I give no credibility to "boring" posts. Clearly these people should have not taken that tour to begin with. Especially common with groups that "have" to stay together. I always recommend splitting up. Worse in my opinion, are the claims of regret, frequently financially motivated. Tough choices all the way around.

Reading trip reports and taking a hard look at your priorities and those going with you - needing their input. Don't worry about what is "popular", Alaska is POPULAR with many many enjoyable activities. Pick the right one for you.

we did the train..on our own..had to walk into town (few hundred yards) and catch at the depot rather than alongside the ship...saved quite a bit by that alone

that being said while I enjoyed the train the best part of it was trying to take pictures of the train going around curves...seats were uncomfortable and ride rocky

think the bus would be a better option..get the same views..better seats and you can view the train too

not sure pricing on bus but should not be that bad..think its a better option than lining up for a car rental..gassing it up etc etc.

Descriptions and reviews of routes can sometimes be misleading and subjective. You might try searching for photos of the two modes of transportation and what you’d see from them. The scenery is beautiful and very different for both. Find out which appeals to you more. .

YOU have to determine what YOUR interest is, nobody can decide this for you.

Do YOU want to take the train? Are you interested in trains and history? You have the cost in your post, is this what is important to you? (with you really not wanting to spend it?)

Questions to ask yourself and you to honestly answer. :)

Both of these choices are excellent and I give no credibility to "boring" posts. Clearly these people should have not taken that tour to begin with. Especially common with groups that "have" to stay together. I always recommend splitting up. Worse in my opinion, are the claims of regret, frequently financially motivated. Tough choices all the way around.

Reading trip reports and taking a hard look at your priorities and those going with you - needing their input. Don't worry about what is "popular", Alaska is POPULAR with many many enjoyable activities. Pick the right one for you.

I don't typically give too much credence to reviews because it is subjective. I tend to make the best of everything and tend to be pretty easy going while in port. I don't like doing "group" activities and prefer smaller groups only because there are less people to satisfy and less opinions to contend with. So here is my honest response:

I am ambivalent about trains and history eh..., my DH on the other hand really wants to do it. I do all the budgeting in my house, so I always look at numbers, LOL. All in all, the cost will probably end up roughly around the same (with the car being slightly cheaper). I'd prefer winging things and I think that would be more available to me in a car. I can pull over and really experience Alaska vs. being shuttled around like herds on tour groups. Either way, I don't think I'll regret either option as both will be new to me. :D

we did the train..on our own..had to walk into town (few hundred yards) and catch at the depot rather than alongside the ship...saved quite a bit by that alone

that being said while I enjoyed the train the best part of it was trying to take pictures of the train going around curves...seats were uncomfortable and ride rocky

think the bus would be a better option..get the same views..better seats and you can view the train too

not sure pricing on bus but should not be that bad..think its a better option than lining up for a car rental..gassing it up etc etc.

You don't get the same view as the bus. The bus doesn't actually go thru the real White Pass . It goes around the mountain opposite the actual White Pass.

When you drive you should go all the way to Emerald lake < Carcross and the Carcross desert. For bus and car a passport is required because you cross the border into Canada and have to re enter the US .

With the train the trip to the summit doesn't require a passport.

Edited by Kamloops50

This photojournal is from someone who has taken the train AND the car, so she has posted photos from both trips. Maybe this will help with your decision. There are other trip reports/photojournals that will include tours in Skagway. Perhaps you could look thru other reports to see what others experienced.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078780

We rented a car (well in advance ) and drove up to Carcross. Wonderful and the prettiest drive we have ever taken. We went to Emerald lake, smallest desert, ate in a tiny Alaska cafe, saw a bear by the road. I say.... Rent the car!!

Be sure everyone has a passport,

I don't typically give too much credence to reviews because it is subjective. I tend to make the best of everything and tend to be pretty easy going while in port. I don't like doing "group" activities and prefer smaller groups only because there are less people to satisfy and less opinions to contend with. So here is my honest response:

I am ambivalent about trains and history eh..., my DH on the other hand really wants to do it. I do all the budgeting in my house, so I always look at numbers, LOL. All in all, the cost will probably end up roughly around the same (with the car being slightly cheaper). I'd prefer winging things and I think that would be more available to me in a car. I can pull over and really experience Alaska vs. being shuttled around like herds on tour groups. Either way, I don't think I'll regret either option as both will be new to me. :D

OK< I have a compromise to suggest- why not have your husband take the one way train to Fraser, then you rent a car and pick him up there? The Fraser depot is an easy turn off, just before the border inspection, you can't miss it. Then the both of you can continue your day to Emerald Lake and return. :)

Clarification- There rarely is big saving booking the railroad direct, most often it is around $10. So $20 per couple which is worth the short walk into town perhaps.

I will also factually, there is only a couple miles of common view with the Klondike Highway and White Pass RR. This myth gets "reported" all the time, and is completely false. The views are different, with the train views being more dramatic. The train also has good commentary which enhances the trip. A bus isn't a better option for photos, especially if you are on the wrong side. The train is far more roomy with the ability to stand outside on the platforms. Infrequently, do the buses time the ability to see the train.

OK< I have a compromise to suggest- why not have your husband take the one way train to Fraser, then you rent a car and pick him up there? The Fraser depot is an easy turn off, just before the border inspection, you can't miss it. Then the both of you can continue your day to Emerald Lake and return. :)

I second Budget Queen's "compromise" suggestion. You will get the best of both options. The drive is super easy and you really can't miss the train depot and it has easy parking and bathrooms. In fact, if you both drove, you would probably stop there for the restrooms anyway.

Then you both could continue on to Emerald Lake with a stop in Carcross. Very worthwhile. And your husband would see the part of the drive he missed going up on the train when you return to Skagway.

I stood outside the car most of the trip trying to take pictures

really wanted a picture of the train in the scenery which is why I think I would prefer bus...never did the bus

the train does go into Canada..turns around and goes back so no need for passports and clearance..but screwed up my exemption for Customs...needed to be out 7 days to get maximum exemption at the time..this broke up my trip...

We rented a car a few years ago and did the drive to Carcross and then drove the short distance to Emerald Lake, after which we turned around and drove back to Skagway. The scenery was amazing. Best part, we stopped whenever we wanted. We used Murray Lundberg's milepost guide. I'm fairly certain it's still on the net but now you have to buy it. Well worth it! He describes the best places to stop by using mile-marker numbers. We're doing a cruise to Alaska this August and we've already booked a rental car and will be using Murray's guide again. We're renting from Avis in Skagway. If you decide to rent a car, do it soon, they usually run out of cars during the summer months.

Just wanted to add...

• car/bus will go up the West side of the canyon. Train goes up the East side of the same canyon. The historic White Pass trail is at times just a few feet wide and not really visible from the West side. You need to train to see it.
  • Different trains go different distances. Some just to the summit. Some to Fraser. Some go further. Ideally you want to go to at least to Fraser to see torment valley.
  • Instead of a train round trip. I enjoyed doing a bus combo to see more of the highway and both sides of the canyon.

Thank you MapleLeaves for the link to that post! It really helped convince my husband. We decided to do the car, just because of the ease of being able to stop when we want. Both views are awesome, but since we have nothing to compare it to, I don't think we will miss out on anything. Plus gives me a reason to book another Alaskan cruise in the future :p.

The train/bus combo was on the table, but I'm just not a fan of group tours. Your so limited. Plus I'm a fan of taking drives. It seems as though, you win with both options. Thanks again for all your comments!!!

We've actually done both, and personally, I preferred the car. We went with friends and split the rental, and utilized Murray's Guide (http://*****************) to navigate and understand better what we were looking at. We felt like we had a lot more flexibility to get out and walk, and spend extra time looking at some of the waterfalls, lakes, and wildlife.

The train is amazing, but as mentioned, not cheap, and not flexible. There were plenty of breathtaking views, and it was relaxing. We had a difficult time hearing the narration, so actually didn't get as much info from it as we did on our previous trip using Murrays Guide.

Both are fantastic ways to explore beyond the coastline. Enjoy!

the train does go into Canada..turns around and goes back so no need for passports and clearance..but screwed up my exemption for Customs...needed to be out 7 days to get maximum exemption at the time..this broke up my trip...

The ROUND-TRIP train tours do this. There are many train-bus combo tours that DO require the passport.

We rented a car from Avis (book early, get there early - there was a long line of people without a reservation), and we LOVED every minute! It was nice to be in control of what we wanted to see and do, and it was quiet - no screaming babies or rude people around us. We got the smallest car, the price was very reasonable. We drove all the way to Emerald Lake and back. My 17 year old still talks about our "best day ever". :cool:

......I am ambivalent about trains and history eh..., my DH on the other hand really wants to do it. I do all the budgeting in my house, so I always look at numbers, LOL. All in all, the cost will probably end up roughly around the same (with the car being slightly cheaper). I'd prefer winging things and I think that would be more available to me in a car. I can pull over and really experience Alaska vs. being shuttled around like herds on tour groups. Either way, I don't think I'll regret either option as both will be new to me. :D
Okay then, here is the standard answer I give whenever somebody wants to ride the train but not everyone in the family wants to do it.

Go for the rental car - train combo.

That way you get the best of both.

Pick up your rental car.

The train rider goes to the train depot in Skagway and purchases a one-way ticket to Fraser.

The person who will be driving the car waits around to take photos of the train passenger/s boarding the train.

When the train pulls out, the driver gets into the car and drives up to Fraser. It is a very easy drive, only one road, no way to get lost.

Take your time driving, stopping at pullouts to take photos along the way because the train ride is very slow. So the rental car will get up to Fraser long before the train does.

You may even be able to catch some scenic photos of the train along the way as there are stretches where the highway parallels the train tracks.

When you get up to Fraser, pull over and park in the parking lot behind the train station

The train station is on the right side of the road, right before the Canadian border stop.

Wait for the train to arrive and pick up your passenger/s.

Then everyone continues in the car together for the ride up to Emerald Lake and then back down to Skagway, making lots of stops along the way.

The most important part: remember to bring along your passports.

I'll add.... ride the LEFT side of the train going up. Ride the RIGHT side of the train going down.

This way you get a view and can see the White Pass trail just below you.... otherwise you get a rock face inches from the window for nearly the entire journey.

I assume the Avis station is crazy busy when the boat arrives. Is it worth it to get there early or wait a few hours?

We got there about 20 minutes before they opened, and there were already several people in line ahead of us. We were out of there within about 15 minutes after they opened. It's not really that bad, just be sure to have a reservation. They were turning away any walk-ups.

I wouldn't want to waste a few hours just to try to miss the crowd. I'd rather get on the road ASAP and then use my extra time in town if I get back early enough.