Northwestern Fjords tour - anyone found it too long? + other qs

jezz086

Definitely want to do a Kenai tour while we are in Seward, just tossing up between the 6hr and 9hr. Yes, our main purpose is to see wildlife and the amazing scenery. I have read the rave reviews about the longer tour and know it comes highly recommended but many people have also seen a lot of wildlife on the 6 hr trip.

My first question is has anyone found the 9 hour Northwestern Fjords tour too long? We are an active couple in our late 20s and am just a little concerned we may lose interest/become restless after that long on the boat. Or is there enough different scenery the whole time?

Second question: do you pass waterfalls on both tours?

Third question: Has anyone done both Kenai Fjords and Major Marines Northwestern tour? How do they compare? Both get positive reviews, main difference I have seen is the price, with Kenai Fjords Tours cheaper than MM.

Any advice and recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks

I have done both, multiple times, now at over 30. With your "bored" question- that may be very telling, frankly? Just never would enter my "questions" about this tour.

Time equals seeing more, if that's of interest, then the Northwestern Fjords tour may be a great choice.

I'm delighted, that last year both vendors now offer the Northwestern Fjords tour, and have my preference of vendor, but both are very long standing and do an excellent job.

I don't care about costs, I do the tours I want, always going out multiple trips per visit. I did 3 regular "park" Kenai Fjords tours and 1 Northwestern Fjords tour last year. :) These were done 4 days in a row, with vastly different wildlife, behavior sightings each trip. (except for the sea lions- lazy things :) :) :) )

I have done both, multiple times, now at over 30. With your "bored" question- that may be very telling, frankly? Just never would enter my "questions" about this tour.

Time equals seeing more, if that's of interest, then the Northwestern Fjords tour may be a great choice.

I'm delighted, that last year both vendors now offer the Northwestern Fjords tour, and have my preference of vendor, but both are very long standing and do an excellent job.

I don't care about costs, I do the tours I want, always going out multiple trips per visit. I did 3 regular "park" Kenai Fjords tours and 1 Northwestern Fjords tour last year. :) These were done 4 days in a row, with vastly different wildlife, behavior sightings each trip. (except for the sea lions- lazy things :) :) :) )

As someone that has never done a tour like this at all, I was merely asking if anyone had felt they had seen enough on the shorter tour as opposed to spending the extra three hours. I also should have mentioned that we are going on a Princess southbound cruise and have read reviews where people have said they saw 'more of the same' on their cruise as they did on their Kenai tour. I can't imagine I would get 'bored' seeing the beautiful surrounds, but as we are very active I thought perhaps if we took the shorter tour, we could spend the day doing something else to make the most of our time in Seward. Am also now considering a kayaking day trip and wondering how the scenery/wildlife compares to the boat tour. Do you get more up close with a kayaking trip?

Thank you for your opinions.

As someone that has never done a tour like this at all, I was merely asking if anyone had felt they had seen enough on the shorter tour as opposed to spending the extra three hours. I also should have mentioned that we are going on a Princess southbound cruise and have read reviews where people have said they saw 'more of the same' on their cruise as they did on their Kenai tour. I can't imagine I would get 'bored' seeing the beautiful surrounds, but as we are very active I thought perhaps if we took the shorter tour, we could spend the day doing something else to make the most of our time in Seward. Am also now considering a kayaking day trip and wondering how the scenery/wildlife compares to the boat tour. Do you get more up close with a kayaking trip?

Thank you for your opinions.

Again, only my opinion, but a boat tour has no comparison to any cruise ship transit. I can't imagine who would claim "more of the same", it would have had to of been someone with limited interest.

The kayak tours out to Aialik Glacier, have some of the more breathtaking scenery. I've seen them many times. You do get plenty of up close.

I am also trying to decide between the Northwestern tour and the 6 hour tour, but for a different reason-- from what I've read, only the 6 hour tour uses a catamaran; the Northwestern tours (both for Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours) use mono-hulled boats. Is this correct?

If so, for those that have done both, does the catamaran really make a marked difference? I have gotten seasick in the past on small boats so even though I'd like to do the longer tour, I'd also like to enjoy whatever tour I'm doing. :)

Thanks!

I am also trying to decide between the Northwestern tour and the 6 hour tour, but for a different reason-- from what I've read, only the 6 hour tour uses a catamaran; the Northwestern tours (both for Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours) use mono-hulled boats. Is this correct?

If so, for those that have done both, does the catamaran really make a marked difference? I have gotten seasick in the past on small boats so even though I'd like to do the longer tour, I'd also like to enjoy whatever tour I'm doing. :)

Thanks!

It really depends on the weather and sea conditions you encounter once you leave the relatively protected Resurrection Bay out of Seward. I never notice much difference between the catamarans and the single-hulled vessels but I've been doing these trips for many years so must be used to it.

My wife and I love the Northwestern Fjords trip because, when the weather is clear, the scenery is magnificent. However, for most people, the shorter national park trips are perfectly acceptable and you go to either Aialik or Holgate Glacier.

We've seen people get motion sickness on either trip so best to take precautions about an hour before you depart.

We also take our own snacks as well since the fresh air somehow makes you hungry :) Do dress warmly and in layers since Kenai Fjords National Park is one of the most beautiful parts of Alaska and you may want to be outside as much as possible.

The shorter trip may also allow you to spend an hour or so at the Alaska Sealife Center which can enhance your trip into the park. We were just there yesterday and they are adding some new exhibits for the summer. For more information, go to http://www.alaskasealife.org

Edited by Chenega

BQ, please do tell us which is your preferred vendor and the reason/s why.

I believe you are allowed to answer that question here on Cruise Critic if someone asks, and I am asking because I really value your opinion.

We would prefer a boat that is less crowded, if possible, and would be very willing to pay a little more pp not to have it jam packed the way it was the last time we took the 6 hour tour a couple of years ago.

It appeared as though they had crowded the maximum number of people allowed into the boat.

Also, on the 6 hour tour there is that rocky, rough section after you get out of Resurrection Bay before you get up into the fjords (don't recall what it is called - the area where the passengers who have not taken precautions get seasick), but the waters in Resurrection Bay itself and once up into the fjord have been quite calm.

Do you hit any additional rough stretches on the Northwestern Fjords tour?

TIA

I believe you are allowed to answer that question here on Cruise Critic if someone asks, and I am asking because I really value your opinion.

We would prefer a boat that is less crowded, if possible, and would be very willing to pay a little more pp not to have it jam packed the way it was the last time we took the 6 hour tour a couple of years ago.

It appeared as though they had crowded the maximum number of people allowed into the boat.

Also, on the 6 hour tour there is that rocky, rough section after you get out of Resurrection Bay before you get up into the fjords (don't recall what it is called - the area where the passengers who have not taken precautions get seasick), but the waters in Resurrection Bay itself and once up into the fjord have been quite calm.

TIA

There's really no way to avoid the open ocean on the longer national park trips. Once you round Cape Aialik, you're in it. Even a visit to the wildlife areas of the Chiswell Islands is exposed. If conditions are too bad, the companies just don't go and sometimes turn the longer trips into a bay excursion.

Usually the lighter loads are on the non-cruise ship days and the tours earlier in the morning. The 11:30am departures are the busiest ones since they also have passengers coming down from Anchorage via train or bus.

Loads can sometimes be lighter on the weekdays as well.

Thanks!

I'm not the one to comment on the boats, but last year, it was a large double deck boat, which I think was a catamaran with Northwestern Kenai Fjords tour?

The issue however, is with your history, and, you finding a reliable remedy for any motion sickness. I see ill people every trip. Consult your health car professional for the best advice.

TIA

I do go with both vendors, but personally prefer Major Marine. Their assigned seating is a plus. It doesn't matter where I'm assigned, the issue is I have the number of seats I need, and that's it. :) My trip with Kenai fjords- again last year, had people spread out all over, taking up extra single seats and making it difficult for later people getting on the boats. There are also a number of seats without tables.

The cpts of both companies, are extremely knowledgeable and have a deep commitment to the environment and the customers. Very important to me. Major Marine- does have National Park Service Rangers. I absolutely gravitate to them, and am thankful for their enhancement to the trip. I also have to admit- I just love the Copper River salmon they serve with their very reasonable add on meal. I don't hesitate to leave it for glacier or wildlife viewing however. :) Add to the mix- a refreshing glacier margarita. :)

Kenai Fjords does have an included meal, but, in my opinion, the wrap isn't eatable. It is left out for hours, with the extras even longer, until they are gone. There is no more comp tea and coffee, Major Marine still has it. The Cookie- is wonderful with Kenai Fjord tour.

I know this sounds a lot like a food list- which in no way the reason I go with either vendor. It's that they are both just superb in their Kenai Fjords scenery and wildlife opportunities, safety, cleanliness and friendly staff. So I made some random comments on their differences.

Major Marine is changing their fleet this year. For the 7.5 and 8.5 hr tours, the add on meal will no longer be available (the boats will be smaller and won't be able to accommodate the bigger buffet). Instead, they are including a complimentary deli lunch or you can bring your own food.

Major Marine is changing their fleet this year. For the 7.5 and 8.5 hr tours, the add on meal will no longer be available (the boats will be smaller and won't be able to accommodate the bigger buffet). Instead, they are including a complimentary deli lunch or you can bring your own food.

Their Northwestern Fjords trip never had the add on buffet. That's "interesting", that they are downsizing the boat size on the other tour? I've taken it many times, and is my definite preference for the the 2 glacier opportunity. I would suspect this will be sold out more often.

As someone that has never done a tour like this at all, I was merely asking if anyone had felt they had seen enough on the shorter tour as opposed to spending the extra three hours.

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I have the same question. :)

Definitely want to do a Kenai tour while we are in Seward, just tossing up between the 6hr and 9hr. Yes, our main purpose is to see wildlife and the amazing scenery. I have read the rave reviews about the longer tour and know it comes highly recommended but many people have also seen a lot of wildlife on the 6 hr trip.

My first question is has anyone found the 9 hour Northwestern Fjords tour too long? We are an active couple in our late 20s and am just a little concerned we may lose interest/become restless after that long on the boat. Or is there enough different scenery the whole time?

Second question: do you pass waterfalls on both tours?

Third question: Has anyone done both Kenai Fjords and Major Marines Northwestern tour? How do they compare? Both get positive reviews, main difference I have seen is the price, with Kenai Fjords Tours cheaper than MM.

Any advice and recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks

jezz086, I found a comparison of the different tour lengths on Major Marines' FAQ that you might also be interested in reading:

"What is the difference between the 7.5 Hour and the 6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park cruises?

The 6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise visits one active tidewater glacier and the 7.5 Hour Cruise visits two active tidewater glaciers. Though both cruises follow the same approximate route, the additional cruising time on the 7.5 Hour Cruise allows the captains time to seek out the best wildlife-viewing opportunities in the area and spend more time watching whales and other wildlife that are seen along the way. The 6 Hour Cruise is on a stable, high speed catamaran. The 7.5 Hour Cruise is an adventure cruise on a smaller vessel, giving you closer views of wildlife and scenery. The Alaska salmon and prime rib meal is available for purchase on the 6 Hour Cruise, while the 7.5 Hour Cruise includes a complimentary deli lunch.

What is the difference between the 8.5 Hour Northwestern Cruise and the 7.5 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise?

Both the 8.5 Hour Northwestern Cruise and the 7.5 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise are small-vessel adventure cruises that travel into Kenai Fjords National Park. The 8.5 Hour Cruise is on our smallest boat, with a capacity of 36 guests, while the 7.5 Hour Cruise is on a slightly larger boat, with a capacity of 60 guests. The 8.5 Hour Cruise travels further into Kenai Fjords National Park, visiting the remote Northwestern Fjord. The 7.5 Hour Cruise travels to more commonly visited areas of Kenai Fjords National Park. The 8.5 Hour Cruise spends time in front of one active tidewater glacier, while the 7.5 Hour Cruise spends time in front of two active tidewater glaciers. Both cruises feature a complimentary light breakfast and deli lunch. The 7.5 Hour Cruise features an onboard National Park Ranger, while the 8.5 Hour Cruise is narrated by our knowledgeable captain and crew."

(source: http://www.majormarine.com/experience/faq/)