Do you "Roll Call"?

I know both of my cruises are still pretty far away, but I haven't seen a roll call for either of them. It's not something I'm worried about, but it got me thinking. I know there are groups around CC that cruise together as much as possible so they plan activities and do things together, but how many people who aren't part of a group that's cruising together actually do a roll call or meet up?

I know it should be obvious by the number of roll calls there are and the number of posts for each one, but not all of us are out going enough to go post and say "Yes I will be on this cruise and I will be wearing _____ on embarkation day! Come find me!" It's very easy for me to sit behind my computer and chat with you guys, but it's very hard for me to talk to someone face to face. Who all checks for and reads the roll calls for their cruise, but never posts on it? Are you curious about who you may be cruising with, but don't have a desire or have a fear of talking to/meeting someone from these boards while you're cruising?

I enjoy reading Cruise Critic and have gained quite an education here that has helped us on our 8 cruises so far.

However, we have no interest in joining roll calls or meeting anyone onboard. Not that there's anything wrong with people doing that, but it's not our style.

Vacations are our way of chilling and relaxing by ourselves (amongst many) with little interaction with others.

I check, read, and create the roll calls for my cruises. I have also met or are planning to meet people who I have gotten along with on the roll call. If there hasn't been a roll call created for your cruise, feel free to do so. Someone has to be first!

Sorry, but I'm posting here, even tho I DO post on roll calls and DO try to meet the others. :-) I love meeting new people and like to chat on the roll calls too. I'm thinking that people aren't sure what to think of me tho..I guess I can have a strange sense of humor! :o:D No wonder you would probably not want to meet me ;)

Hope to meet all the other cc'ers someday! :)

Especially STU :D - he shares his ships on a stick :p

I usually do some reading in the Roll Call section for my upcoming cruises. I do chime in and just say I will be on your cruise blahblah. But I have never went to a meet and mingle.

I'm not not a very social person when it comes face to face. I have met some very nice people while cruising, but its just not my thing. Before we even left port on our last cruise we met a couple from North Dakota, I think, he was very nice. He even offered me a beer,which I passed up with much thanks.

I enjoy the roll calls as a way to share information. How much social interaction depends on the roll call. The roll call from my Liberty cruise got closed for being to large when the cruise was over. There are quite a few of us that regularly communicate on Facebook. We met a couple from my current roll call last week for pre-cruise drinks.

Sorry, but I'm posting here, even tho I DO post on roll calls and DO try to meet the others. :-) I love meeting new people and like to chat on the roll calls too. I'm thinking that people aren't sure what to think of me tho..I guess I can have a strange sense of humor! :o:D No wonder you would probably not want to meet me ;)

I agree. I would like to meet Stu sometime as well.

I do join the roll calls for our upcoming cruises. Our next one isn't until next January so the roll call thread isn't very active yet and I only check on it once a week or so and have only posted a couple of times.

The roll call for our Freedom cruise this past January was quite active and I did enjoy chatting with people there. In fact I e-mailed back and forth a few times with one poster, as they had cruised out of New Orleans before so she was filling me in on everything and things to do there, places to stay and eat, etc. Sadly, she passed away before the cruise. :( Her husband let us know about it. Then, the person who actually started the roll call thread was killed in an accident. She had been posting quite regularly, and then all of a sudden stopped so after a few weeks I mentioned that she hadn't been around and someone else checked into it and gave us the link to the accident so we could read about it. So very sad. :(

I did not end up meeting up with anyone from that roll call thread, as we had other family members with us so we stayed with them. And I probably won't go to the meet 'n greet for our upcoming cruise either, as again we will have family members with us. But it's fun to talk about the cruise with others, and to discuss excursion plans, etc.

Ive met some very nice people from my roll calls. We've even got together and booked some very reasonably excursions with them as a group. Last month met a wonderful family...wished we lived closer...just genuinely nice people. :)

I didn't mean anything bad about roll calls and meeting people. I just meant that I'm interested in the roll calls and I wonder about joining one or starting one if there hasn't been one already, but I have a horrible case of social anxiety and meeting people in person for the first time can make me look like the most awkward person in the world and if people can get past the first few hours and not think I'm a total weirdo then I do open up. I just didn't know how others felt about roll calls. Most people find my sense of humor to be a bit odd and sometimes offensive depending on the situation because once I come out of my shell I am very loud and open about pretty much everything. It just takes me a little time and most people aren't willing to give anyone time to adjust and open up. Now my DH can walk into a room and become friends with most of the people there which helps to balance out my anxiety when it's at its worst.

I check them out, but really have no interest in joining or meeting up with people. I would hate to feel obligated to be hanging out the whole time when all I want to do is lay around and relax. Not that everyone is like that, but you know what I mean.

I started a roll call for my upcoming cruise but it was just moreso to get a feel of who'd be on the ship with us (age wise)

I don't really have any intentions of meeting up and/or making lifelong friends, esp. since there's already 10 people in my group.

The roll call for our Fantasy cruise this month was negligible. I think there might have been six different posters on it. On our cruises on other lines, we've had very active roll calls. We usually try to make it to the meet and greet. We've joined others on private excursions--which has saved us a lot of money. We also enjoy "knowing" people before we board.

Thank you for the responses. I've always felt like I would be obligated to do a meet and greet if there happened to be one arranged on a roll call I join. I love this site and really appreciate all of the great info everybody provides!

Don't feel obligated. Going on my 12th Carnival cruise and have only been to 3 M&G's. All depends on the feel of the roll call.

I do not really roll call. I may browse through one if I think about it for an upcoming cruise, but that is about it. I always travel with friends and family so plan my trip with them. Once onboard, if I happen to make new friends that is great, but it has never been something I felt I had to do beforehand online.

But only when I have one of that ship. Going on the Glory next month and already have one but most likely my grandson would get it if I win one.

The first roll call I was part of was ok. My second roll call was awesome (December 2011 on the Dream), we all just sort of met up at the Sunset bar by the aft pool on embarkation day around 2:30p ... there were quite a few people on the roll call itself, and quite a few showed up at the bar - it was really nice to finally talk to people that we'd been chatting with online for awhile (my husband is still in touch with one of the people, and I am still in touch with another person from that roll call).

Now the roll call that is on CC here for our next cruise (June on the Freedom) is pretty lame. Luckily one from there made a group on facebook, and we all keep in better touch there. I look forward to meeting those people.

I have a touch of the social awkwardness, but tend to start opening up after a few minutes. I'm an easy person to get along with and hate that I feel awkward around new people, so I've been working really hard at trying to be less awkward. My husband on the other hand "makes friends wherever we go" (at least that is what we always say). He'll just strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone.

I have met some wonderful people on roll calls. Our roll call for the July 14 Freedom sailing is really amazing. So many of us have a lot in common.

I also think it is fabulous for those young adults too old for the "teen clubs" and too young for the oldies groups!! Hehehehee! They can actually "meet" a head of time!

I never feel obligated to go to a meet and greet. If I really click with some of the posters on the roll call, I go if the time is right for me.

Archived