Manly or Bondi Beach?

MJC

If you had to choose only one of these to visit, which one? Our time in Sydney is limited, and we are having difficulty making up our minds. Thank you!

The ferry ride out to Manly is often described as one of the best trips and Manly itself is lovely; however, whilst we thought Bondi Beach was a little 'tacky' everyone has heard of it and it's always nice to be able to say 'we've been there'

Don't suppose that really helps, sorry!!

Both are good. Depends what you want to do, when you get there.

If you want to swim, I prefer Bondi. You can catch a bus to North Bondi, and start in the rock pool there, then walk along Bondi Beach to Icebergers on the actual beach, overlooking another rock pool, for a drink/meal to take in the whole beach vista.

If you want to combine a little shopping and the beach, Manly is better, as you walk through a mall to get from the harbourside to the oceanside. In addition, it is a beautiful ferry ride to Manly.

You can combine a trip to Bondi with a HO HO bus tour - good on a fine day on the open upper deck. Bondi has that lovely stretch of sand and is I agree better if you want a quick dip! A nice walk along the cliff top to the South or out to the rocks past the rock pool to the North. You can get a casual lunch of fish and chips or a cold seafood platter at the Fish shop on the other side of the road and picnic on the grass or eat at one of the places in and around the beach pavillion. They range from overpriced but funky to basic takeaway with paper plates and plastic utensils.

Manly is a good choice if you have not otherwise enjoyed a jaunt around the harbour but as an Eastern Suburbs girl, I favour Bondi.

Colleen

simple really, manly.

as other replies have stated the ferry ride past the opera house and over to manly is just great.

used to live in sydney for many years,only go back every now and then, but everytime, we love to get on the ferry to manly, great beach , great views, great seefood, and nice and clean and tidy.

you won't be sorry, it's a lovely spot

cheers

I vote for Manly too. It's an iconic ferry trip there and back with spectacular views of the whole harbour/city and the surf beach is great with lots of places to eat in the Corso just behind it. If you prefer a non-surf beach then there's one right next to the Manly ferry terminal on the harbour side. Check out the aquarium there too!

All round Manly is better make sure you walk along the path to Fairy Bower...its beautiful. Bondi is tacky now..but the cliff top walk...which is not difficult at all...is spectacular and you can catch a public bus from Bronte at the end of the walk back to Circular Quay.

If you get an all day pass you have cheap travel on all public transport..as far out on trains as the Central Coast or right up to the Blue Mountains.

Sue

Thank you all so much for the excellent info - you are all such good promoters of your favorite that it is still so hard to decide. So, here's another question that may help us choose. What kind of amenities are at the beaches - showers, changing rooms, snack sheds, chairs, umbrellas? What would we need to bring aside from the obvious?

Also, what is the latest ferry back from Manly, if we have dinner there?

Thanks!

Unless someone has started a concession no umbrellas or deck chairs...otherwise restaurants, food outlets, shops, showers, changing rooms,cafes, tables and chairs.

Manly is a thriving little "village" with banks etc.

Walk in the opposite direction along the esplanade from the photo in the link and you will walk along Fairy Bower.

http://www.manly.nsw.gov.au/

Sue

Manly vote here much nicer front brilliant cruise out and back so you get great harbour bridge pics. Lovely eating places and nice changing place. I felt Bondi was just another suburb. There was something nicer about going by boat than bus to get there

How long is the walk from Manly Beach to Fairy Bower Beach?

At either beach, is there a kind of warning sign system for sharks, bluebottles, or bad riptides, or are these things always present, rarely present? What do we actually need to be cautious about in the water there in November? We love to swim.

Sue, thank you for the link, excellent info there.

Margaret

Its a short flat stroll around the headland on a good path with seats so you can sit and admire the beautiful view. At Australian beaches you must swim between the red and yellow flags...the beaches are patrolled by lifesavers. The flags are always set up in the safest part of the beach. Rips can form at any time so that is why you should stay in the safety zone. A siren will sound if sharks are seen. Walk along the water line or ask the lifesavers if there are blue bottles around. They mostly come in if the wind is onshore. Nothing in particular to be concerned about...the water temp should be refreshing!

Sue

If you are unfamiliar with Aussie surf beaches then always pick a patrolled beach and always "Swim Between The Flags"!!! Even strong swimmers can get caught out if they ignore this advice. Sharks, stingers and other friendly local fauna are part of the fun (!). If the surf life savers are aware of any 'visitors' they will certainly let everyone know.

If you had to choose only one of these to visit, which one? Our time in Sydney is limited, and we are having difficulty making up our minds. Thank you!

Like many said, the Ferry ride is pretty spectacular. I made a video of our family vacation to Australia. In the link below, from 2:20-3:10 you will see pics from the ferry and pics of Manly Beach. Keep in mind these are winter pics (June). My mother's side of the family married into an Australian famliy. I have lots of family down under and when we go we stay with them on the Central Coast. We take a train into Sydney. When I asked to go to Bondi, they said "We're taking you to Manly. You'll like it better." Never been to Bondi. The town of Manly is also kind of a nice place to walk around a people watch. Ate at a nice little place over looking Manly Beach. Lots of shopping, Peir had a delicious Gelato Place. Sorry that I cannot compare the two, but watch that minute of the video so you can get an idea of the Ferry and Manly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4ZkM94YDU

Also on the walk to fairy bower you must have a lunch or a breakfast here

The Bower Restaurant

Look it up , the view is outstanding and the food is great.

Wow, that looks like a fun place, amazing view.

Two more questions:

What hours are the lifeguards on duty? And any dinner restaurant recommendations?

Wow, that looks like a fun place, amazing view.

Two more questions:

What hours are the lifeguards on duty? And any dinner restaurant recommendations?

Lifeguards should be on duty 8am or so until late in the afternoon around 5- 6pm. Dont quote me on this, but an email to :

www.manly.nsw.gov.au/attractions/beaches/beach-lifeguard-service

My 3 Fav places to dine in Manly are: Le Kiosk, Ribs and Rumps and

Manly Pavilion. , But you will find heaps of options from small cheap cafes all the way up to 6 star fine dining all depends on your budget. Enjoy looking around. A good site to search on is:

www.manlyrestaurants.com.au

It covers not just manly but a much wider area of sydney also.

I'd like to say thank you to everyone for answering my questions and being so helpful. We're looking forward to a wonderful day in Manly! If you're ever in New York, I'd be happy to return the favor.

Happy sailing!

You will not regret Manly. I have been to Bondi and Manly. Manly is by far my favorite. I stupidly did not wear my swimsuit when I went to Manly. I saw lots of people swimming and snorkeling at Shelly Beach (just south of Manly Beach). The walk from Manly Beach to Shelly Beach is beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I live just 2 hours from Many and with the tourism job you guys have done I want to go there now! The ferry ride alone helps to make that decision between the two.

Sailing past the bridge and the opera house so close... seeing it from the water... is a spectacular sight.

If the weather isn't the best, don't let that put you off. :D It's a wild ride past the heads in choppy weather but you will love every second!! We did the ferry from Manly to the city for the 1999/2000 New Year and it was a wild ride that night. Many people got off totally soaked because they wanted to sit outside. It just added to the fun of their night I'm sure. That won't happen to you though... so please don't let me scare you off!!! Normally it's a very pleasant ride.

While Bondi certainly has it's appeal, Manly is definately the go if you can only do one!!!

We all have to do our bit to make sure our overseas visitors get to see the best bits...so they can bring their friends next time!

If you have time to do both Bondi and Manly the cliff top walk (which is not strenuous) between Bondi Beach and Bronte is absolutely wonderful.

Its time our tourism people caught on to the huge increase in cruise visitors and put together some "Welcome to Sydney" packs to give out with maps, suggestions for what to see, some discounts, badges etc. etc. I am sure they would be hugely popular with our visitors..I loved getting the goodie bags on our trips in Asia.

Archived