Philadelphia airport.

midwestchick

The one flight I'm looking at for Venice has a connection in Phildelphia. We've never connected there and it could be quite a walk to the International terminal. Someone also told me they've NEVER had an on time flight or connection from Phil. and would never use this airport again. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Comments...experiences with Phil airport please.

I used to travel in the US about twice a month for business, and I have to say the Philadelphia airport is one of the nicer airports I've used. I did once get snowed in there overnight, but the same thing was happening at airports all over the Northeast. In general, my flights were on time, and I don't recall the airport being dauntingly huge, either. Keep in mind, however, that you will need to go through customs there, as your first entrypoint to the US, so make sure you have enough of a layover between flights.

PHL is my home airport and I use it 20-30 times/year. It is not difficult to connect there at all. Depending on your inbound terminal, you can either walk or take the shuttle bus (which stops at Terminals A, C and F). Terminal A is the international terminal. I would say 80-90% of my flights are on time. Like any northeastern city, you stand a better chance of on-time flights early in the day.

What airline are you using for your flight into PHL?

PHL is fine, I fly routinely out of there 2-3 times a month. Your flight will be out of Terminal A. It can be a walk however there are shuttles from terminal C and terminal F. Terminal F is standalone and has limited food options. All the other terminals have decent or better food and drinks. All the major airlines have clubs in PHL. You can check flight aware for on time statistics of the flights you're looking at.

Enjoy your trip.

PHL is my home airport and I use it 20-30 times/year. It is not difficult to connect there at all. Depending on your inbound terminal, you can either walk or take the shuttle bus (which stops at Terminals A, C and F). Terminal A is the international terminal. I would say 80-90% of my flights are on time. Like any northeastern city, you stand a better chance of on-time flights early in the day.

What airline are you using for your flight into PHL?

US Air and of course it's a late afternoon arrival in PHL. I think I only have 2 1/2 hours when we return to the states...that's if our flight is on time. For some reason I had it in my mind we would go through customs once we reached O'Hare, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: which, of course, isn't the case.

I've taken a look at the terminal map and it could be a trek.

I'm really trying to avoid using Lufthansa.

PHL is fine, I fly routinely out of there 2-3 times a month. Your flight will be out of Terminal A. It can be a walk however there are shuttles from terminal C and terminal F. Terminal F is standalone and has limited food options. All the other terminals have decent or better food and drinks. All the major airlines have clubs in PHL. You can check flight aware for on time statistics of the flights you're looking at.

Enjoy your trip.

I've never heard of flight aware.

Why?

Last year, they were our returning airlines...had to worry about the strike. Fortunately we flew Delta to France for our cruise. Some people on our cruise flew Lufthansa to France but they missed 2 days of their cruise. Lufthansa went on strike they day we flew out of Chicago. Those people were stuck in New Jersey and could not get another flight to France.

Lufthansa also has rules as far as carry on weight...think it's only 15 lbs. in your carry on and your purse has to measure a certain size or they can make you check it. :eek: :rolleyes: To me, that's just crazy. And they are strict about it. I spoke to Lufthansa personally so I know this is true.

If I can avoid any European airlines, I will do it.

While there seems to be a lot of glowing reports on PHL, the combination of US Air/PHL can be a literal disaster.

The airport is POORLY managed. And US Air has had labor disputes at PHL for YEARS that have NEVER been settled. There is an East vs West (American West) mentality that has NEVER been settled after the merger. Different union contracts, different rules.

We used to ship about a LOT of perishable freight out of PHL. When the merger happened, we started noticing problems. And they were repeat problems-week after week. Freight left on the tarmac to either freeze or melt in the heat. US Air didn't care-they were doing all they could, so they told us over and over!!!!

We pulled about 500,000 pounds of freight (which rides right below your butt on most planes) out of US Air/PHL because of the sloppy service and constant fighting between management and the unions. We now move freight from the Philly/DE/South NJ area via truck to JFK. Costs us a lot of money for transport but saves us even more not having to deal with claims on product and replacing product week after week.

And as someone who flies over 100,000 miles per year, the one airport in the WORLD I refuse to fly through is PHL. ONLY place my luggage has ever been actually LOST. Late, delayed at other airports-Yes. Lost-no place but PHL.

So if you don't mind taking the chance of missing your luggage when you arrive overseas, just schedule a connection with US Air through PHL.

Last year, they were our returning airlines...had to worry about the strike. Fortunately we flew Delta to France for our cruise. Some people on our cruise flew Lufthansa to France but they missed 2 days of their cruise. Lufthansa went on strike they day we flew out of Chicago. Those people were stuck in New Jersey and could not get another flight to France.

Lufthansa also has rules as far as carry on weight...think it's only 15 lbs. in your carry on and your purse has to measure a certain size or they can make you check it. :eek: :rolleyes: To me, that's just crazy. And they are strict about it. I spoke to Lufthansa personally so I know this is true.

If I can avoid any European airlines, I will do it.

You are missing some of the better flight experiences in the world by refusing to use European or foreign airlines. MOST foreign airlines beat the USA airlines any way you look at it.

And I question why people were stuck in NJ because Lufthansa went on strike. Did they have cruise air, group or consolidator tickets?. There are so many, many airlines that fly to France from the NYC area. There should have been many, many options. Maybe they were like a group I ran into one time-WOULD NOT split up no matter what. I didn't feel sorry for them in the least. They missed a large part of their vacation.

You are missing some of the better flight experiences in the world by refusing to use European or foreign airlines. MOST foreign airlines beat the USA airlines any way you look at it.

And I question why people were stuck in NJ because Lufthansa went on strike. Did they have cruise air, group or consolidator tickets?. There are so many, many airlines that fly to France from the NYC area. There should have been many, many options. Maybe they were like a group I ran into one time-WOULD NOT split up no matter what. I didn't feel sorry for them in the least. They missed a large part of their vacation.

No, they were not a group. One pair was two sisters on a girl's trip. The others that I knew of were couples also. Lufthansa (and I was told this by all of them) refused to help them find another flight but did put them up in a hotel in NJ...I know some of them booked with ChoiceAir, like we did, since it was part of the package. I don't remember all of the particulars but they were not given any help whatsoever in finding a different flight. It could be the other flights were booked. I know our Delta flight was full and many people were returning home to France from holiday.

I just don't want to have the worry like I had last year....not knowing if we would have a flight home....or having to worry about finding one.....and some ins. companies do not cover airline strikes.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to miss part of a much anticipated vacation because of a situation that is not their fault.

.I know some of them booked with ChoiceAir, like we did, since it was part of the package. I don't remember all of the particulars but they were not given any help whatsoever in finding a different flight. It could be the other flights were booked. I know our Delta flight was full and many people were returning home to France from holiday.

CHOICE AIR was the problem. The majority of Choice Air tickets (ESPECIALLY the heavily discounted ones) are NOT good on any other airline.

Lufthansa had NO obligation to put them on any other flight. Those are the RULES of a good percentage of the Choice Air tickets.

Do a little bit of studying in this forum on consolidator/Choice Air tickets. Just because you get a good price, can book a seat and have a locator number means NOTHING when it comes to glitches in your travel plans. A lot (most) of those Choice Air tickets are heavily restricted. NON endorsable (NOT GOOD on another airlines) and NON reroutable. MUST be used on the same routing as the original ticket-ie: you booked ORD/CDG but that flight goes poof. There IS availability on ORD/JFK/CDG.

But YOUR Choice Air ticket WILL NOT allow the re-route, even on the same airline. It is in the fare rules and pointed out on the Choice Air website: "Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing."

There is a whole lot more to an airline ticket than price!!!

CHOICE AIR was the problem. The majority of Choice Air tickets (ESPECIALLY the heavily discounted ones) are NOT good on any other airline.

Lufthansa had NO obligation to put them on any other flight. Those are the RULES of a good percentage of the Choice Air tickets.

Do a little bit of studying in this forum on consolidator/Choice Air tickets. Just because you get a good price, can book a seat and have a locator number means NOTHING when it comes to glitches in your travel plans. A lot (most) of those Choice Air tickets are heavily restricted. NON endorsable (NOT GOOD on another airlines) and NON reroutable. MUST be used on the same routing as the original ticket-ie: you booked ORD/CDG but that flight goes poof. There IS availability on ORD/JFK/CDG.

But YOUR Choice Air ticket WILL NOT allow the re-route, even on the same airline. It is in the fare rules and pointed out on the Choice Air website: "Airline tickets we issue are highly restrictive and you may find that your ticket cannot be exchanged, reissued or revalidated for another carrier or routing."

That is not what Choice Air tells you and I've copied this from their website and their price isn't any less than the airlines...in fact, it's slightly higher.

Did You Know?

Remember with ChoiceAir's Assured Arrival program, when you book your airfare with us you can feel confident that we will be there for you on your day of travel to support you if there are any flight interruptions, delays, schedule changes and cancellations..

That is not what Choice Air tells you and I've copied this from their website ...
If you read it carefully, you'll notice that those words don't promise you anything.

Particularly weasly are the phrases "you can feel confident" and "we will be there ... to support you". Neither phrase says that they are, strictly speaking, obliged to do anything at all.

I'm a Chairman's Preferred with US Airways. That means I do a lot of flying, and PHL is the airport I've been in the most only after my home airport, MCO.

I've been through PHL for both domestic and international flights.

A few things...

Overall the US Airways employees at PHL are very helpful--except in terminal F where I think most have been sent as punishment for one infraction or another.

It is a large airport, however there are shuttle buses and electric carts plus moving walkways to assist you in getting around. It's no more walking than you have in CLT, JFK, SFO, PHX, MSP, or any other larger airports.

Customs/Immigration there is pretty fast, they seem to generally have it well staffed.

Flights out of PHL are generally on time unless there is a weather event. If this happens, the NYC airports are usually affected as well. Sometimes the weather will be affecting the entire eastern seaboard including BOS and it's regionals and WAS. It happens, and the best advice I can give you is that you can't control the weather, have a plan B if possible.

US Airways does have limitations on both checked and carry on, although not like Lufthansa. I've seen them turn a blind eye to a 52 pound bag, I've seen them charge for it. It seems to depend on the ticket agent and the passenger. They don't weight carry-ons. As long as it will fit in the sizer you are good. The "small personal item" needs to fit under the seat. They will not budge about having more than two carry-ons. Even a small handbag will have to be put into one of the other carry-ons. They have gotten very strict about this. The exception is a bag with take-put food that you'll be eating on the plane.

PHL has a lot of services and amenities. There are a number of great full service restaurants, or you can choose the food court. There are shops to browse and plenty of places to sit and people watch.

If you have an Envoy ticket you'll have free use of the lounge. The lounge in the A terminal is wonderful with tons of space, good snacks, help yourself soda and water, and tons of electrical outlets to charge your electronics. If you aren't flying Envoy, in my opinion it's worth the $50 entry fee if you've got more than a couple of hours to spend there.

I'm cringing that once the US AA merger takes place, PHL will no longer be an international gateway and I'll have to go through the dreaded JFK to Europe.

I'm a Chairman's Preferred with US Airways. That means I do a lot of flying, and PHL is the airport I've been in the most only after my home airport, MCO.

I've been through PHL for both domestic and international flights.

A few things...

Overall the US Airways employees at PHL are very helpful--except in terminal F where I think most have been sent as punishment for one infraction or another.

It is a large airport, however there are shuttle buses and electric carts plus moving walkways to assist you in getting around. It's no more walking than you have in CLT, JFK, SFO, PHX, MSP, or any other larger airports.

Customs/Immigration there is pretty fast, they seem to generally have it well staffed.

Flights out of PHL are generally on time unless there is a weather event. If this happens, the NYC airports are usually affected as well. Sometimes the weather will be affecting the entire eastern seaboard including BOS and it's regionals and WAS. It happens, and the best advice I can give you is that you can't control the weather, have a plan B if possible.

US Airways does have limitations on both checked and carry on, although not like Lufthansa. I've seen them turn a blind eye to a 52 pound bag, I've seen them charge for it. It seems to depend on the ticket agent and the passenger. They don't weight carry-ons. As long as it will fit in the sizer you are good. The "small personal item" needs to fit under the seat. They will not budge about having more than two carry-ons. Even a small handbag will have to be put into one of the other carry-ons. They have gotten very strict about this. The exception is a bag with take-put food that you'll be eating on the plane.

PHL has a lot of services and amenities. There are a number of great full service restaurants, or you can choose the food court. There are shops to browse and plenty of places to sit and people watch.

If you have an Envoy ticket you'll have free use of the lounge. The lounge in the A terminal is wonderful with tons of space, good snacks, help yourself soda and water, and tons of electrical outlets to charge your electronics. If you aren't flying Envoy, in my opinion it's worth the $50 entry fee if you've got more than a couple of hours to spend there.

I'm cringing that once the US AA merger takes place, PHL will no longer be an international gateway and I'll have to go through the dreaded JFK to Europe.

Thanks for your positive statements. I'm well aware of US Air's baggage limitations and carry on policy, which some people still do not abide by :rolleyes:...we've flown them to the Caribbean several times. I was not aware US Air and AA was merging. I just spoke with a retired Captain for United yesterday and he said AA is going to be fine and they will be coming out of bankruptcy later this year. But, if what you say is the case, then there is a possibility this entire flight could be changed.

We flew from Chicago to JFK to France last year and did not have a problem. I was not aware it was a dreaded airport.

I've also posted this question on another travel forum I'm on and many of the people are from the East coast and the general consensus was to avoid Philly. So...I think for the time being, I'll just wait and see what else comes up since we do not fly until the end of August. I'm hoping Delta comes up with something better...the flight to Venice is fine...but 31 hours on the return flight is not acceptable.

We have a booking on US to Rome in April and through Philly. We have 2 hrs and 45 minutes on entering back in and they told me it was plenty of time, we'll see. We did this flight about 5 years ago and the only problem was the long lines at security after clearing customs on the way back.

We have a booking on US to Rome in April and through Philly. We have 2 hrs and 45 minutes on entering back in and they told me it was plenty of time, we'll see. We did this flight about 5 years ago and the only problem was the long lines at security after clearing customs on the way back.

I've gone to yapta.com and am tracking some Delta flights now....I did find a couple with good connections to and from Venice. The return trip has a connection in Rome so we wouldn't go through customs until we hit Chicago. :D

That being said, I'm not worried about customs...I just don't like things I've read about the airport, not only on here but my other travel forum.

I want to get the flights booked so I can be done with it and just worry about researching and planning how much fun we will have. ;) And, I would like to choose my seats while my preference is still available. :D

Thanks for your positive statements. I'm well aware of US Air's baggage limitations and carry on policy, which some people still do not abide by :rolleyes:...we've flown them to the Caribbean several times. I was not aware US Air and AA was merging. I just spoke with a retired Captain for United yesterday and he said AA is going to be fine and they will be coming out of bankruptcy later this year. But, if what you say is the case, then there is a possibility this entire flight could be changed.

We flew from Chicago to JFK to France last year and did not have a problem. I was not aware it was a dreaded airport.

I've also posted this question on another travel forum I'm on and many of the people are from the East coast and the general consensus was to avoid Philly. So...I think for the time being, I'll just wait and see what else comes up since we do not fly until the end of August. I'm hoping Delta comes up with something better...the flight to Venice is fine...but 31 hours on the return flight is not acceptable.

I wouldn't bet on what a retired UA captain thinks. This merger is pretty much a done deal, and the AA pilots actually benefit from it. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airline-industry/20130115-pilots-see-details-of-what-a-us-airways-american-airlines-merger-holds-for-them.ece

I wouldn't bet on what a retired UA captain thinks. This merger is pretty much a done deal, and the AA pilots actually benefit from it. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/airline-industry/20130115-pilots-see-details-of-what-a-us-airways-american-airlines-merger-holds-for-them.ece

You are a big US fan and I am a big AA fan. So let's agree that you want this merger and I don't and get down to the actual facts.

US pilots are still "trying to fix" the seniority issues and their contracts from the AmWest merger. You really believe the AA pilots are dumb enough not to know what has been going on for about 7 years with the US pilots, particularly those merged from AmWest???

I don't.

And the AA passenger agents just voted NO on union representation.

Where is either airline going to come up with THAT much extra money to increase the pilot's contracts in this economy??? Pie in the sky from the unions.

Phoenix, the 5th largest city in the USA, is fighting very hard to prevent this merger. The Governor has been heavily involved, as a merger means the loss of at least 2000 US Air jobs and between 15-25,000 jobs that support US Air in Phoenix. There are also no indications what will happen to US Airways Arena but it is a given that a merged airline cannot support 2 or 3 huge stadiums. And the University of Phoenix is basically out of the picture, as when they signed the deal for naming Cardinals stadium, they gave up the right to attach their name to any other stadium/auditorium for 10 years. A HUGE white elephant in the scheme of things.

You have a lot of political pressure against this merger. There are a LOT of local companies fighting against this merger and couple of them are very, very large local companies-one being Swift Transportation. Jerry Moyes, owner of Swift, holds a lot of political sway and capital. He sure doesn't want to see this merger as it devastates his air to truck to rail capacity he now has with US Air. A merger with AA will take away a lot of those feeder flights, as Phoenix is primarily a leisure destination and will no longer be the hub it is today.

Now the City of Phoenix has gotten heavily involved, as they just spent a huge chunk of change for both the light rail extension TO the airport and the fancy offsite rental car parking facility. Both would be SEVERELY underused and unproductive if this merger takes place.

And finally, take a look at the underlying management. Doug Parker could care less about the airline and the employees he nurtured for a lot of years (AmWest). When he was able to go bigger and bigger, he did it with no regard to them. They got royally screwed in the US merger and are still paying the price. There is DEFINITELY an East vs West mentality at US Air now.

The investment bankers may have the final say.

You are a big US fan and I am a big AA fan. So let's agree that you want this merger and I don't and get down to the actual facts.

Actually I don't want the merger. It will completely dilute the FF perks and I don't want to have to use JFK as my European gateway, I much prefer PHL.

US pilots are still "trying to fix" the seniority issues and their contracts from the AmWest merger. You really believe the AA pilots are dumb enough not to know what has been going on for about 7 years with the US pilots, particularly those merged from AmWest???

I don't.

The AmWest pilots were being obstinate and they should consider themselves lucky that they have jobs. The deal being offered the AA pilots is a good one that gives them more money and more perks than they currently have. Any of them who is willing to bet their career on AA emerging from BK is flat out stupid.

And the AA passenger agents just voted NO on union representation.

Their choice, they've got the most to lose on the merger.

Where is either airline going to come up with THAT much extra money to increase the pilot's contracts in this economy??? Pie in the sky from the unions.

Have you seen the US balance sheets? They are actually quite healthy.

Phoenix, the 5th largest city in the USA, is fighting very hard to prevent this merger. The Governor has been heavily involved, as a merger means the loss of at least 2000 US Air jobs and between 15-25,000 jobs that support US Air in Phoenix. There are also no indications what will happen to US Airways Arena but it is a given that a merged airline cannot support 2 or 3 huge stadiums. And the University of Phoenix is basically out of the picture, as when they signed the deal for naming Cardinals stadium, they gave up the right to attach their name to any other stadium/auditorium for 10 years. A HUGE white elephant in the scheme of things.

Both the airport and the terrible former AW employees there should be lucky they've had a ride as long as they have. Terrible service there. The last time I flew through the, they had to come through and recheck all BP's because the pax count and BP count were off by almost 15. Yip, real warm and fuzzy. The gate agent was too busy comparing tattoos with some guy and wasn't paying attention to who was getting on board.

You have a lot of political pressure against this merger. There are a LOT of local companies fighting against this merger and couple of them are very, very large local companies-one being Swift Transportation. Jerry Moyes, owner of Swift, holds a lot of political sway and capital. He sure doesn't want to see this merger as it devastates his air to truck to rail capacity he now has with US Air. A merger with AA will take away a lot of those feeder flights, as Phoenix is primarily a leisure destination and will no longer be the hub it is today.

I don't think he has the power you think he has. Unless he wants to buy AA, it's really not his choice.

Now the City of Phoenix has gotten heavily involved, as they just spent a huge chunk of change for both the light rail extension TO the airport and the fancy offsite rental car parking facility. Both would be SEVERELY underused and unproductive if this merger takes place.

CLT has similar issues. No one promised them anything.

And finally, take a look at the underlying management. Doug Parker could care less about the airline and the employees he nurtured for a lot of years (AmWest). When he was able to go bigger and bigger, he did it with no regard to them. They got royally screwed in the US merger and are still paying the price. There is DEFINITELY an East vs West mentality at US Air now.

The investment bankers may have the final say.

Parker is liable to his board and stockholders, not anyone else. As long as they are making money, the stockholders won't care. The people in the west need to get a grip, they are lucky they still have jobs.

I just found this as a sticky about Choice Air.

ChoiceAir: Assured Arrival

RCCL is very interested in ensuring you get to your Cruise, and takes advantage of knowing your travel arrangements to monitor your flights, intervening when possible to avert delays due to airline schedule changes, delays, and cancellations. When they are unable to act pre-emptively, they will continue to work with the traveler and airline to find an alternate route - even on another airline - at no additional cost to the guest. This service includes getting the guest to the original embarkation port, or the next available port whenever it is practical. They cover the modified airline ticket, hotels en route (when necessary) and ground transfers. At times, there is controversy over whether this is a guarantee. The truth is... it's not a guarantee. If there are massive flight cancellations for many days due to natural disasters, or if there are simply no commercial seats available that will enable them to re-route, they clearly will not be able to make it happen. If there are government regulations (Jones Act) that preclude the guest from joining in another port (Most often an issue for Alaska, Hawaii, and New England/Canada sailings), they will not be able to help. However, in the vast majority of the situations when flights are delayed or canceled due to weather and mechanicals, the company has been able to get the guest to the ship to enjoy most or all of their Cruise vacation. This is not insurance or a guarantee, but an additional service provided exclusively for guests who book air with them. The benefit to the customer is they have a point of contact if things go wrong, they do not have to spend any money up-front, or file a claim to take advantage of the service.

Archived