FAA grounds 787's

ghstudio

It is my understanding that only US airline to operate a 787 Dreamliner is United. The two Japanese airlines ANA and Japan Airlines apparently have the most 787s in their respective fleets.

Some are leaving for cruises out of Singapore and Australia....and if flying from the uk, they will be on other carriers that are flying 787s.

The OP started this thread on the Celebrity board. I am very familiar with Celebrity itineraries since Celebrity is our cruise line of choice.

Celebrity has rather recently entered the Asia market with limited sailings. Many passengers select airlines and flights based on one criteria -- price. These folks are frequently clueless regarding aircraft type. It would have been helpful if the OP had listed the airlines which are actually flying Dreamliners before suggesting that folks start calling their airlines. No need to bombard the Southwest Airlines switchboards!

It is my understanding that the only airlines actually flying Dreamliners includes: Air India, ANA, Ethiopian Airlines, Japan Airlines, LAN, LOT, Qatar Airways, and United. I may have omitted an airline, and if I have, someone will amend this list.

When the FAA grounds an airplane, they let their international counterparts know. Generally the Canadians will immediately follow suit, and more often than not the Brits will as well. The Japanese have also grounded the plane.

Bottom line, regardless of where your carrier is flagged, if you are booked on a Dreamliner (Boeing 787), it's time to but Plan B in place as a back up.

If you aren't booked on a Dreamliner, keep walking, there's nothing to see here.

None in service here yet. The only carrier in the country to order them is Air Canada and their first ones are not due for delivery until later this year or early next. Looks like the 767 fleet may stay in the air a tad longer than planned unless this is a quick fix. Thankfully no major issues with the 777 fleet that is in wide use here these days

Apparently my first post here caused wide alarm and frantic calls to airlines that don't fly the new Boeing 787's....so this is more specific and aimed primarily at those flying the far east for cruises....on JAL, UA, ANA or Quatar airlines. My (erroneous) assumption was that folks knew what type of plane they had booked....apparently most don't.

JAL has cancelled all 787 flights including those to/from boston/san diego on their 787's; ANA has also grounded all their 787's for inspection. The US FAA has grounded UAL's 787's as well as any other 787's that fly to the US where the FAA would not allow them to take off....so much for LOT's first flight on the 787 which is now in the US until the FAA clears it for flight home.

If you are on one of the effected flights on JAL/ANA...you can check the type of plane you are on by just checking their web sites....call and reschedule or reroute yourself to get to your cruise.

Archived