Free Wifi

palermo22

Recently off a Viking cruise and I must say I found the speed of our ship's wifi better than other cruise lines except during a few peak periods--like right after all the tours return to the ship. On deck one near the Guest Services area you will also find some computers and a printer (no charge for copies) for passenger use.

Multiple devices are just fine. We found the speed fine for email and messaging. Browsing was normally fine, but not always. As mentioned, during peak times, it was very slow.

Do not expect to stream anything.

Signal strength varies, so pay attention to that.

AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DATA ROAMING TURNED OFF - or you will be paying high at sea cell rates.

My brother in law was on a cruise recently and because he is legal guardian to an older cousin who landed in the hospital while they were away, he needed access to his e-mail. Not on Viking, he spent over $300 for internet access on a one week cruise just so that he could communicate with the cousin and her caretakers.

My brother in law was on a cruise recently and because he is legal guardian to an older cousin who landed in the hospital while they were away, he needed access to his e-mail. Not on Viking, he spent over $300 for internet access on a one week cruise just so that he could communicate with the cousin and her caretakers.

I didn't read this right at first but I think you are making the point that on Viking there is no charge for internet. Right? There was no charge when I sailed.

Various cruise lines have a wide range of options for doing email online. Even on Viking you could easily spend $300 in a day for internet - if you used your cell phone instead of the included wifi.

Some ships sell internet access on a per mg/gb basis. Some sell it on a daily or cruise unlimited basis. And, what they offered last month is different than this month. And, in at least one case, different ships within the same fleet have different pricing.

Probably the most important part is to not use you cellular data onboard the ship. There are now much better plans for cellular calls and data while ashore which are CONSIDERABLY different than last year and in most cases very reasonable.

I didn't read this right at first but I think you are making the point that on Viking there is no charge for internet. Right? There was no charge when I sailed.

Right, because he was not on Viking, he spent over $300 to use the ship's internet service--and he was watching his connect time like a hawk.Still, the charges piled up quickly.