Sydney / Auckland hotel suggestions

Karen Lynn

Full disclosure - I am a Travel Agent but often come to CC because I can never know everything that many well travelled folks here do!

I have clients wishing 3 nights pre cruise in Sydney and 3 nights post cruise in Auckland. I have already provided them 2 options in each place but wondering what you folks here really like!

I've suggested Shangri La and Park Royal Darling Harbour n Sydney based on previous clients feedback and Sky City Grand and the Pullman in Auckland but if anyone has better suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!

My thanks :)

We have stayed at Pier One Sydney Harbour (Marriott Autograph), Radisson downtown Sydney, Regents Court, and Rydges (airport).

Pier One was our favourite. Close to Circular Quay but not as busy area. Essentially under the bridge. We rolled our luggage from the hotel to the Quay. Very different hotel in a converted warehouse. Low rise. Wonderful service from check in to departure.

Radisson was dark. It was OK for a one night stay.

Regents Court was a 2 star apt/hotel. Good for a few days. Clean, very large room. Not central but we were only there for a few days and were there while we did some trips out of town-Blue Hills etc.

Rydges-one night airport hotel. It was OK, nothing special. Very average airport hotel but very convenient to the terminal.

Many thanks, I appreciate the feedback

:)

We have stayed at Pier One Sydney Harbour (Marriott Autograph), Radisson downtown Sydney, Regents Court, and Rydges (airport).

Pier One was our favourite. Close to Circular Quay but not as busy area. Essentially under the bridge. We rolled our luggage from the hotel to the Quay. Very different hotel in a converted warehouse. Low rise. Wonderful service from check in to departure.

Regents Court was a 2 star apt/hotel. Good for a few days. Clean, very large room. Not central but we were only there for a few days and were there while we did some trips out of town-Blue Hills etc.

Rydges-one night airport hotel. It was OK, nothing special. Very average airport hotel but very convenient to the terminal.

Pier one is hard to beat if you can get a good price.

If it's three days, maybe something like the Grace or Westin, more in the city, might be good, or Meriton Appartments where you get a kitchenette and laundry.

There are some lengthy threads here or in the Australian and NZ Cruisers sub forum on hotels in Sydney.

Recently we stayed at the Waldorf Stadium Apartments in Auckland. We had a one bedroom executive apartment and it was huge. It's in a great location with a large supermarket across the road, and plenty of good restaurants nearby. It's a flat walk to the downtown area and Viaduct Basin, and is actually close enough to the cruise ship wharves that you could walk if you didn't have too much luggage.

We've also stayed at the Waldorf Celestion and that was OK but the Waldorf Stadium is better.

We had Pier One on Marriott points redemption. Two nights. Wonderful. Away from the hustle and bustle but close to everything-walking distance.

We liked Regent. It was an older apartment hotel. The room was large, It had a fridge. It was good for us because we had been travelling for a few months and needed a place to chill. Not downtown, but close. Interesting area. Train station nearby. Lots of good restaurants in the area. We got it on a Hotwire win. Great value for the money.

Full disclosure - I am a Travel Agent but often come to CC because I can never know everything that many well travelled folks here do!

I have clients wishing 3 nights pre cruise in Sydney and 3 nights post cruise in Auckland. I have already provided them 2 options in each place but wondering what you folks here really like!

I've suggested Shangri La and Park Royal Darling Harbour n Sydney based on previous clients feedback and Sky City Grand and the Pullman in Auckland but if anyone has better suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!

My thanks :)

A small comment the Pullman in Auckland is on a hill and if your clients are the least bit against climbing hills I would suggest you stick with the Sky City Grand, that is also in a hilly area but nothing compared to the Pullman. We have stayed at both and would recommend the Sky City Grand over the Pullman for up to date decor and feel of the place.