NCL Sucks!

Andykim

Did the price above your room category also drop? Was it close to what you paid? If you politely ask the cruise lines usually try to accommodate you. Maybe you can go to the next room category or get the OBC? I have gotten many upgrades and OBC when I saw a room price drop. It has never been much of a problem. Call and ask. If you used a travel agent, have them ask.

For a few dollars more or less, maybe your "agent" can get you an upgrade deal .:cool:

Keep talking.

WE book a cabin, then look the other way.

Wait until the week before your cruise to see the availability. We were moved up to a mini sweet with the UBP for approximately $200 pp.

Seriously? Booking a month in advance is "booking early"???? I book 2 years out and have never been disappointed.

Exception is One year I had planned a trip to LA for a high school reunion of my moms… And we were going to stay at her friends house right before the trip the friends daughter died of cancer. So we decided to jump on a quick cruise. Just in the few days of making up our mind exactly what we want to do the price went up $50 each. So sometimes it does go the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get what the OP is alluding too. But that doesn't make NCL suck. When I book anything I always hope that I'm getting the best price, but I don't complain if things go down in price, and I don't expect compensation for it. You can simply ask and if they say no, then that's that. SW Airlines will give me back points on a booked flight if I find it lower later on.

Book the dang cruise and look forward to all the fun. No sense being upset about something you can't change.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Forums mobile app

How about a grocery store when they have a sale on an item you just purchased the day before?

Actually yes I can take the receipt back to Costco and get my Money back within I believe a 90 day span. Could be less if it is much over two weeks I forget about it. :)

That is my number one rule. I NEVER look at pricing after final pay date. It can only lead to frustration for me and ruin my cruise. Look on the bright side. You got the cabin you wanted when you booked. And at a price that was comfortable to you then. Enjoy your cruise.

Most people already have things covered but I wanted to add that it doesn't make much sense to just book and forget. Typically I will book a year or more ahead of time for a cabin I will be happy with. For my next solo cruise its a studio but cruises with my spouse and daughter will start with a large balcony.

Immediately after booking, I set pricing alerts from a certain website that will email you when there are price changes for your cruise. Whenever there is a price drop or a better cabin has a price close to the price that I booked at, I call my travel agent and have them rebook. Most cruises I have taken I have ended up rebooking at least twice because the price dropped or there was a better promo available.

Of course all of that is out the window after the 90 day final payment period. I do still watch the prices on the off chance that a better cabin will come available at a decent price.

Be careful with this strategy, book a vacation and then check for price drops until final payment date. After final payment there are rarely any concessions for a lower price on the cruise. If it is a popular cruise itinerary with few sailings the price often goes up closer to the cruise. When the final payment date gets close bookings get dropped opening up rooms. If too many cancellations, then the price drops as the cruise line is trying to fill the boat.

I have 3 cruises booked one for May, (sold out) Price stayed about the same, one for September 2017 (sold out) price went up a LOT! A British Isle cruise in 2018 and that price is slowly climbing and the ship is almost sold out. I always watch for perks and price drops around my final payment date to see if I can get a benefit without losing my cabin or perks. There are potentially "gotcha's with changing a reservation in an attempt to grab a savings such as losing perks and you may lose a preferred cabin. This may negate any savings that you thought you would be getting.

Have fun.

Timing just sucks! I understand what everyone is saying. Just hope it doesn't happen to you! Lesson learned is either you book it and forget about it or just book it close to the sailing date.

Timing just sucks! I understand what everyone is saying. Just hope it doesn't happen to you! Lesson learned is either you book it and forget about it or just book it close to the sailing date.

I'm curious when you booked... I actually don't think that booking close to the sailing date helps. I generally book cruises 9-18 months out. At that point there aren't guarantees offered, so the advertised price gets you a room pick. I have plenty of time to watch the prices and maneuver myself into a room, price, and perks I'm happy with. For example I have a 12 day cruise planned next April. We booked it in sept if 16 and watched the prices; there was a huge 8 hour price drop in nov that we jumped on. Prices have only gone up since. We have side by side balconies in an area we are happy with. Our rooms are now priced at $1,500 pp more than we spent!!!! Curious to see how prices will look post final payment but can't see booking the rooms we booked at a better price. The big price drops are usually for guarantees which we prefer not to book. But late boomers are stuck with the room, price, and perks available at the last minute; sometimes good, but sometimes not...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It does suck, but when you book earlier you have the opportunity to get better airfares if you have to fly into the port. We had one cruise where the cabin class dropped quite a bit, but I checked flights the day they dropped and it would have ended up costing us much more than the price difference to fly in on short notice. I also checked for the cabins available, and they were either under the pool deck, above a nightclub or otherwise undesirable for us! Add to that the difficulty getting the specialty restaurants at a reasonable time for dinner ... you typically have to reserve early in the evening or late in the evening if you are booking them later on.

I would book a last minute, round trip cruise out of a local port within driving distance, but if you have to fly the best rates are usually 45 days before the sail date.

Nothing was mentioned as to what cabin was booked. What I have experienced is that when cabin prices drop so do the promotions When you book early you get what you want knowing what you are getting for your buck If waiting for the cheapest price may not get you the best location on the ship which is the most important thing on a cruise. Now with the new cabin upgrade bidding process the better cabins go fast leaving the less desirable to go for a lower price I chose. To book ahead and get what I want at a price I am willing to pay. I have gotten emails from NCL asking if I would like to upgrade for a slight increase. I declined because I have what I paid for. NCL has given me up grades because of price drops because they can sell the lower priced cabins easier. The best is to check all the angles and go with the flow. Just sit back and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually you can do this but the airlines are very smart about it and they have very high re booking fees of say 200 dollars per ticket so it never is worth it to rebook at the lower rate

My last cruise I actually got 2 price drops on our flights on Southwest. No charge.

Used the credits towards our flight to Jamaica in May.:)

Bill

Booked a cruise on April 23 to Western Carribean and found out the price was reduced drastically. Called customer service and they were pretty rude about not being able to do anything. Made the decision to go on this cruise because the agent I spoke to said there will not be any sales in the near future of this cruise. Has this happened to anyone and had a different result? After this, I do not think I will ever sale with NCL.

*Lesson: Don't make early reservations, because it may most likely go on sale, because they want to pack the ship.*

Have to ask: is this your first cruise? If not, you should be aware, after final payent the price is pretty locked it. I will say normally they will offer a slight upgrade if this happens, but they do not have too and if you think waiting to book is smart, just try it sometime. Often,as in the case with the cruise we are going to be on next Sunday the price goes up and the choice of cabins can be very limited. If you buy and pay for an airline ticket to find out the day before sailing the prices have dropped, do you think you can get your money back? Sorry this happened to you, but these things do happen. Don't blame NCL. You are right about one thing: yes they do drop prices to fill the ship. The same as grocery stores run specials to get you into the store.

Now that you have done your ranting, settle down and look forward to your cruise. You will always find someone who got a better deal than you.

That's right Andy, now you are getting it: book and forget, you may want to use a cruise consultant next time or a travel agent. But whatever think timing sucks but not NCL until you have cruised them and can honestly judge the line.

Booked a cruise on April 23 to Western Carribean and found out the price was reduced drastically. Called customer service and they were pretty rude about not being able to do anything. Made the decision to go on this cruise because the agent I spoke to said there will not be any sales in the near future of this cruise. Has this happened to anyone and had a different result? After this, I do not think I will ever sale with NCL.

*Lesson: Don't make early reservations, because it may most likely go on sale, because they want to pack the ship.*

I usually book early and after 15 ocean cruises have found that only on two cruises have prices dropped below what I booked. On one of those two, it was before final payment and I called and got the new lower rate. On the other, I called (after final payment) and got an upgrade. I was not disappointed in either case.

Did you book this direct with NCL. If you did they will cancel you booking and rebook it at the cheaper price as long as you are not at the stage where you have peid for your cruise in full. I have done it many times and have saved thousands. Did you book through a travel agant? If you did that may be what NCL meant. You will have to go to your agent and get them to do it for you. I am doing 2 cruises back to back in July. I booked direct with NCL. They had a special where the second passenger travelled for half price. NCLcancelled and rebooked for me with no problems. The only thing they state is that they have to cancel your cabin and then rebook it. The thing is they have to do it quick before someone else gets in and books it.

Did you book this direct with NCL. If you did they will cancel you booking and rebook it at the cheaper price as long as you are not at the stage where you have peid for your cruise in full. I have done it many times and have saved thousands. Did you book through a travel agant? If you did that may be what NCL meant. You will have to go to your agent and get them to do it for you. I am doing 2 cruises back to back in July. I booked direct with NCL. They had a special where the second passenger travelled for half price. NCLcancelled and rebooked for me with no problems. The only thing they state is that they have to cancel your cabin and then rebook it. The thing is they have to do it quick before someone else gets in and books it.

OP just booked a short time ago for an April cruise, so he was inside the final payment due date.

We were booked on a wedding cruise and watched the pricing go up up up as the sailing date approached. Booking close to the sailing date doesn't always work out.

I think your anger is misplaced and should be directed towards your Travel Agent who advised you. A seasoned agent would know this happens all the time on any cruise line.

Is this your first cruise and are just learning the rules for booking/cancellation/price reduction?

Sailing with NCL is great and I hope you review your booking options prior to making your final payment so you wont be disappointed like this.

Booking two months early is not "booking early," I am looking at cruises for fall of 2018 now.

Of course they want to pack the ship, they run a business, it is what they are supposed to do.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise and enjoy sailing on whatever cruise line you switch to in the future.

We were booked on a wedding cruise and watched the pricing go up up up as the sailing date approached. Booking close to the sailing date doesn't always work out.

I think your anger is misplaced and should be directed towards your Travel Agent who advised you. A seasoned agent would know this happens all the time on any cruise line.

Is this your first cruise and are just learning the rules for booking/cancellation/price reduction?

Sailing with NCL is great and I hope you review your booking options prior to making your final payment so you wont be disappointed like this.

I'd be interested in hearing this agent's version of events . Even if an agent gave their opinion that no sales were upcoming , that is NOT the same thing as saying prices for individual cruises and cabins will not go down . Prices are constantly changing both up and down . Specific price changes do not mean a sale .

This has happened to me, as with most of us. But, I committed to the price at the time, and accepted it. Sure, it'd be nice if there was a price guarantee like some hotels have but otherwise, you're taking a chance by waiting. I typically book 3-6 months out; with the exception of our next cruise, which was booked 30 days out...not for the faint of heart! :)

Edited by norcalnick
3 was turned into a heart for some reason

I did not go through all pages, so not sure if anyone mentioned these...

Yes, prices can often go down after final payment, as cabins are perishable and therefore need to be filled.

HOWEVER, its worth noting that the reason a lot of those cabins are being discounted is because they are the less desireable ones either due to location or setup, etc.Booking early and then locking may mean you have much better selection...

Also, bookings made as a result of flash sales or post lock price drops may not include the same promos as pre-lock.

Also, also, every cruise line does this as part of yield management not just NCL, as do airlines, some hotels, resorts, etc. And most of the others are far less lenient than cruise lines (try getting airfare adjusted 24 hours after you booked). Like it or not its part of the travel industry. (I am sure this was mentioned before but needs to be continually restated it seems)

In the OPs case, if the booking agent gave misleading information (and not just misinterpreted) that is the agents problem to resolve. NCL clearly posts their rules.