Pacific Jewel

Tinky2

I've just returned from the New Year cruise on Pacific Jewel ex Melbourne. I believe mid February she then returns to Sydney for a while and we get the Eden which is what my next cruise is on. This was my fourth cruise on P Jewel.

Ask any questions you want. I like the Jewel, she is very logically laid out not like the Pacific Eden which is very boutique and fancy. However, I am a senior and do not bother with swimming pools and the like. I like a bit of tranquility and just enjoy being at sea. I am not a fan of the retractable roof on Aria and Eden although if you want to party on the top deck then I guess you would like this. On the Jewel if it rains or is rough then outdoor parties get moved inside.

Families seemed to be having a good time at New Year and there were many extended families on the voyage. Kids had a whale of a time. I believe we had around 510 children on board but they seemed to behave themselves and were no problem.

Ask whatever you like although other people might view things differently.

I've just returned from the New Year cruise on Pacific Jewel ex Melbourne. I believe mid February she then returns to Sydney for a while and we get the Eden which is what my next cruise is on. This was my fourth cruise on P Jewel.

Ask any questions you want. I like the Jewel, she is very logically laid out not like the Pacific Eden which is very boutique and fancy. However, I am a senior and do not bother with swimming pools and the like. I like a bit of tranquility and just enjoy being at sea. I am not a fan of the retractable roof on Aria and Eden although if you want to party on the top deck then I guess you would like this. On the Jewel if it rains or is rough then outdoor parties get moved inside.

Families seemed to be having a good time at New Year and there were many extended families on the voyage. Kids had a whale of a time. I believe we had around 510 children on board but they seemed to behave themselves and were no problem.

Ask whatever you like although other people might view things differently.

Thanks for your reply. Wow so many children, hope there wont be as many on our cruise....

I'm looking forward to the parties, they sound like a bit of fun.

How's the food? The pantry seems interesting and is it the waterfront?

The children weren't a problem, just made the cruise seem like one big happy family. It was lovely to see them having a good time, except for some 15 to 17 year olds who feigned boredom at the beginning of the cruise. Kind of wore an expression of "what am I doing here" until they realised that most of the way up the east coast they had reception on their phones!!!

People loved the parties each night. Many didn't get up till late in the afternoon the next day. I'm used to a quieter life nowadays but the excitement was palpable in the evening. I much prefer all the trivia events. Gosh on the last day I went to 5 of them. They are hilarious and I made many friends that way.

I liken the Pantry to a food hall where you can get a variety of foods. It can be very noisy at certain times but I like to have my breakfast there around 6.30 before others get up. Just to sit and gaze at the neverending sea and chill out. There is a greater variety of food in the Pantry. There are Asian dishes, Indian curries, Mexican foods as well as the Fish station and the roast meats. Deserts and salad bars are also there. The quality seemed to be fine - getting better than 2 years ago. Sometimes their ideas of Australian cooking (roast potatoes) can be different to ours. On the last day the fish station had enormous bowls of garlic shrimps (to us they were large prawns) available so I guess they must have had a lot they needed to use up. Delicious.

The food in the Waterfront is fine although they seem to be cutting down on whats on offer. There were about six entrees, mains and deserts on offer for dinner. Plenty to choose from but the separate servings of different vegetables which used to be available have been discontinued. They are definitely economising compared to 2 years ago or even 1 year ago. I reckon that there is only about half the selection now on the menu. Pity. People who normally travel on Princess were very critical. But then some of them critisised everything. I have come to expect that. I haven't been on Princess yet - it is more expensive for a solo traveller. One day.

Breakfasts in the Waterfront are fine with a good selection. Just a bit slow if you are going ashore early. Lunches are also fine. No need to book breakfast or lunch. You are supposed to book dinner but I discovered some passengers just walked up and went in, said they didn't know about booking. I guess it makes up for those who book and don't turn up. They may be strict on the time you want to book but I don't think they worry too much````. I think they just want to spread the arrivals out and make sure that there are two sittings. ie 5.30pm and 7.00pm sittings.

Some dress nights they did apply the code in not letting gents in who were wearing shorts no matter how dressy they were. Took some by surprise and complaints by some who had not taken long pants with them. Heck we were going from Melbourne to Queensland in mid summer!!! Other nights there were some let in wearing baseball caps which is a no no. Generally very casual atmosphere on the ship. Very laid back.

Hope this helps a little.

I just got back from the same cruise, (12 nights South Pacific) bought a lot of perfume on board only to find them at the same price back here......duty free ? I don't think so.

Edited by remy9

I just got back from the same cruise, (12 nights South Pacific) bought a lot of perfume on board only to find them at the same price back here......duty free ? I don't think so.

Hi there, what a shame about the prices. What other shopping was onboard?

How did you like the food? Were the theme parties fun?

Love to get your opinions :)

Cheers

Debbi :)

Hi Debbi,

The alcohol prices were fine , not sure about everything else I didn't check the prices because the internet connection was so bad.

Food was ok, theme parties were non existent really, there was no dress code I took clothes for after 5:30 but people were wandering around in shorts thongs and singlets all night.....it was very down market.

Was school holidays I guess but there were no standards at all it was just a booze up for bogans. Never again on P&O I'm afraid.

Oh no re the internet, I can't survive without being online hehehe. Is it true that you can't use it in your room? We are looking at getting the unlimited $99 package.

How disappointing regarding the theme nites I'm really looking forward to them. I have connected to a few people on my cruise and the seem like they are up for dressing up so that's cool.

Yeh glad it's not school holidays when we go!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
What date you sailing? We are on 24/4. First P&O cruise, so any advice would be great. [emoji925]️[emoji925]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi sorry I have been away and only just got back on my computer :D

Yes we are booked on the same cruise. We have cruised 8 times on the Pacific Dawn but not on Jewel before and not out of Sydney so cannot wait.

Thankful for reading reviews re pantry as the Dawn does not have that as yet.

:cool:

Hi sorry I have been away and only just got back on my computer :D

Yes we are booked on the same cruise. We have cruised 8 times on the Pacific Dawn but not on Jewel before and not out of Sydney so cannot wait.

Thankful for reading reviews re pantry as the Dawn does not have that as yet.

:cool:

Excellent, look forward to meeting you!! I have started a roll call on here will be nice to have more than just me on it hehehe.

Save