NCL Getaway HC room

QuickieGlenn

Just got off the Getaway and had a rear facing HC mini suite. This room was huge and the balcony had to be 20 feet wide by 12 feet deep. We had 4 chairs 2 tables and 4 chaise lounges and still had plenty of room for a lot more plus room for me in the chair. The bathroom was laid out nicely and a sturdy fold down bench in the shower. There are 2 problems I found with this ship being in a chair, you can only access deck 17 with a lift that runs up the stairs that has to be operated by a crewman (not for me) and there are only 2 sets (8 each) of elevators so it was a long push to the back of the ship and the hallways (at least on deck 10) were only wide enough to fit my chair and there always was a service cart or a vacuum in the way (but the staff moved them the best they could0

I cruised on another megaship (Oasis of the Seas) and was SO glad I had rented a scooter. My poor husband wouldn't have been able to do anything but push me around if I had only had the manual wheelchir. I couldn't get to the top deck at all, stairs only and no wheelchair lift, but I found plenty of other things to do. ;) The halls were wide enough that I could squeeze by the stewards' carts but it was tight.

How nice that the room and balcony were so big. I have an aft balcony minisuite this May on the Norwegian Pearl and it looks comfortable (from the deck plan) but nothing like you are describing.

• 1 month later...

My hubby and I have a Youtube Channel about cruising with disabilities ( https://www.youtube.com/c/cruisingwithwheels ). On our last cruise on the NCL Gem (2/2017), we had a wonderful 2 hour discussion with the hotel director, Nelson Martin, who informed us that the issue of the housekeeping carts will soon be resolved. They have ordered all new carts FLEET WIDE that are slimmer and taller so that a wheelchair guest can pass by more easily and the hall way will be less obstructed.