Advice needed about logistics of taking own scooter

JLT

I have been renting a scooter for cruises for the past 5 years and it has made cruising much easier and more enjoyable. Now I am thinking about purchasing a scooter because it can get expensive for the longer cruises that I enjoy. Normally I would keep it in the trunk of my car and only use it when I have help getting it out and putting it together. But I am worried about using it for travel because I would be unable to lift the heavier parts. No problem when I travel with my family but my travel buddy can't help me. So I'm looking for tips and advice on how those of you who travel alone or without a helper manage. Until now the convenience of finding and leaving the scooter in my cabin has been great. I also want to thank all of you who post for everything I have learned about cruising.

Believe it or not the challenges are getting it on the ground at the airport and at the port terminal. Once on the ground at the airport you could ride your scooter down the jetway and they will take it away from you at the airplane door. You can then walk onto the plane or get into an airplane wheelchair. Once you arrive wait until you are one of the last people off the plane and your scooter will be waiting at the beginning of the jetway. Of course this assumes you're not in a small regional airport that doesn't have a jetway. At the port terminal, the same problem exists. Once you're on the ground in your scooter, you can ride it onto the ship.

For example, we used to fly out of our small local airport. We now drive to the major airport about three hours away. I'll stay in a better hotel that has bellhops. They unload the scooter from the car for me.Call in advance to ensure the hotel has a handicap or drive on shuttle bus. Even if they have one for sure it still helps to call and make sure you reserve it for the time you need. Same is true when you arrive at the port city. Always ensure that they have a drive on shuttle bus to pick you up at the airport and drop you at the terminal.

Is it more of a challenge that it used to be and more expensive?

Yes but we still get to go. And we find we enjoyed the better hotels. Also cruising is much better than other vacations because once you are on board, you don't have to lift the scooter again.

I have a small scooter similar to Pride Go Go, which I keep in the boot of my car. I can just about manage to lift the parts when the scooter is broken down. However, I often find that somebody offers to help me and if they don't I just find an able bodied young man. Have never been refused yet.

There are many different types of scooters and not all of them have heavy parts. Unless you need a heavy-duty scooter, I suggest you look at some of the smaller models. My sister uses a Luggie, which is one piece and folds to about 50 pounds and the size of a carry on suitcase.

For cruises, are you in a handicapped accessible cabin? If you are, then you won't have to take it apart. As for the airport, simply drive it up to the door of the plane. The airline crew will put it in the hold (you don't have to disassemble it) and it will be waiting for you when you get off the plane.

If you are taking any excursions, make sure they are accessible.

I have travelled on planes on my own with the scooter and have had no problems at all. As already said, you can leave it at the door of the aircraft.

Also, you can buy hoists for lifting the scooter into the boot of your car if the lifting is going to be too much. They are not too expensive to buy and install.

If you buy your own scooter you will find it will enhance your life and make going out much easier. You will probably wish you had done it sooner.

Thank you all so much for your replies. They give me a lot to think about. I'm going to get my daughter to go with me to look at scooters and actually try taking one apart. I couldn't lift 50 pounds but I will inquire about a hoist. I do appreciate any input.

On my most recent trip 3 weeks ago I checked with the desk clerk when I checked my luggage at the airport. She made a call to make sure I could ride it to the plane. She said that its not possible on all planes. You may need to check it with your luggage (no charge) and ask for wheelchair assistance. That being said, I WAS able to ride mine right to the airplane door and I only had to wait a couple minutes after the last passenger departed for my scooter to appear at the door again. At FLL airport specifically they have shuttle busses that have a place for you on the bus. You ride the scooter right onto the bus and they tie it down before other passengers get on. Allow yourself extra time for all of this. Around the ship was no problem except for the rude passengers who totally ignore your presence. People will walk right in front of you like you are invisible. That happens pretty much everywhere not just the ships. I rode mine right into the dining room and parked it right by the door. I am able to walk short distances. Dining room staff was great about it.

Thank you all so much for your replies. They give me a lot to think about. I'm going to get my daughter to go with me to look at scooters and actually try taking one apart. I couldn't lift 50 pounds but I will inquire about a hoist. I do appreciate any input.

I had a lift installed on the back of my car. Best thing I did. I can now go where ever I want all by myself. It takes less than 2 minutes to load or unload from the lift. I've timed it. The lift wasn't cheap (actually it was more than my Pride Victory 10) The lift was about $1800. plus I had to have a hitch installed which was about $150. So for about $3600. I got the hitch, lift and scooter at my local medical supply place. They were willing to match any price. I didn't feel comfortable ordering one online.

Boozebabe

I couldn't agree more with you about being 'invisible' in a wheelchair or scooter. People are so rude.

From what you say about installing a hoist, it seems they are a lot more expensive in US than in the U.K., but if you can afford it, they can be invaluable.

O.... Around the ship was no problem except for the rude passengers who totally ignore your presence. People will walk right in front of you like you are invisible. That happens pretty much everywhere not just the ships. I rode mine right into the dining room and parked it right by the door. I am able to walk short distances. Dining room staff was great about it.

That's why I always say excuse me please when I run over their foot when they jump in front of me :cool::rolleyes:

JLT,

There are more scooters out there than you can shake a stick at.

Things to consider:

a) Will I use it @ home?

b) How portable is it really?

c) What's the weight capacity?

d) Who's going to fix it if it breaks?

e) Remember you will see a potentially better one right after you pay for your new one:mad:

Everyone thinks theirs is the best. I bought a SmartScoot. I think it's what I need. Will let you know after our Oct/Nov trip

I use a walker around the house, a cane for very short distances like going to restaurants, etc and I want to walk as much as possible but I'm safer on a scooter on a ship. It's getting to the ship, taxis, buses, assembling, and so forth that I worry about. The folding types don't look substantial enough because I'm not steady on my feet. But I'm very appreciative of all your opinions.

JLT....I think your original idea of going to look at and test a few is the best idea. Tell the salesman your needs and they will help you find the best one for your height, weight and usage. I rode several around in the parking lot before I bought mine.

Actually, a salesman will try to steer you to the best one for you *that they sell* - unlikely they will say "oh, you need such-and-such, we don't sell it, go to so-and-so." (possible but not the way to bet)

That said, it's unlikely there is only one scooter that will be best for you, and a store with a large selection could very likely have one or more models that you can happily use.

However, don't shrug off folding scooters. I'm unsteady on my feet sometimes too, that is why I bought a scooter. :D If you have balance issues (as opposed to weak muscle/joint issues like I have), you will definitely want to stick with the added stability of a 4-wheel scooter. My 3-wheel Triaxe Sport only weighs 53 lb and has a weight capacity of 350 lb. It's so easy to fold and unfold I can do it without help (although my DH has to lift it into and out of the car but if I was travelling solo any cab or shuttle driver who was willing to load and unload my luggage wouldn't have a problem with my scooter). If you don't need that much weight capacity, there are scooters that fold and unfold themselves, and scooters weighing even less. I looked really hard at those take-apart scooters and decided they were not for me. With many of them, the heaviest piece weighed more than my whole scooter! If you decide to go with one, I would strongly recommend you take apart the one you are considering and put it back together. Several times. Are special tools needed? How long would it take to get a replacement when (not if) you lose the special tool? Can you bend over long enough to take it apart or put it back together? Can you count on having a place to sit down and work on it? Can you lift the heaviest piece in or out of your car and still have the energy to lift the other pieces? Are you willing to deal with taking it apart and putting it back together every single time you want to use it? (I'm not saying you shouldn't or should - only you can decide what you want from your scooter. I'm just offering some of the questions I used to reach my decision.)

Also, if you plan on flying to take your cruise, make sure the scooter battery can fly too. The high-capacity lithium battery that normally comes with my scooter was way over the 300wh limit for flying, but the manufacturer offers a "travel" battery as well and I ordered my scooter with that. Some people have reported being able to fly with higher-capacity batteries but I don't want to take the chance.

And get ready to enjoy your independence! I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to go wherever I want (once DH has unloaded my scooter). I am working out at the YMCA, trying to develop enough muscles to lift the scooter in and out by myself, but haven't managed it yet.

Travel/Portable Mobility Scooters vary in design,weight capacity, features as well as cost. Cost can range from as low as $599.00 (Such as Walgreens Rascal Model that disassembles like the Pride GoGo models)upwards to $3,500.00 ( such as the Atto Folding Mobility Scooter). Yes it's highly recommended that you test drive models prior to purchase but know that most brick & mortar durable medical equipment retailers don't carry every make and model available in today’s market so checking several retailers should be considered. Also note there are Travel/Portable Scooters that generally are only available on line such as the Travelscoot, Luggie, Smartscooter that test driving prior to purchase may not be an option. Websites such as http://www.1800wheelchair.com/ andhttp://www.spinlife.com/category.cfm?categoryID=4 are reputable sites that allow a person to view the specifications as well as compare models to help narrow down the options prior to shopping around brick & mortar retailers. Additionally keep in mind that the prices at brick & mortar retailers are generally the full MSRP and that the same scooter can often be found on line cheaper . Comparative shopping is important.

If you’re attempting to have insurance or Medicare help cover the cost, know that not every scooter is pre-qualified for such coverage. In fact Medicare has very strict requirements and the scooter basically has to berequired for your in-home daily living before it will even consider reviewing such a claim. Medicare does not assist with cost if the scooter is purchased solely for your comfort when traveling. If your doctor feels purchasing a mobilityscoot is medically necessary than get a RX for it prior to (not after)purchasing it. The RX has to be dated prior to the actual purchase date. Depending on your financial situation if you have a RX for the purchase the cost of the scooter can be accrued with other medical costs to see if you meet the requirements for the 1040 FederalMedical Tax Deduction. It's recommended that you speak to your tax advisor to determine if a potential medical deduction is doable in your situation. The same applies to the renting a scooter is it's medically necessary.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you so much for this question and info. We are taking a multigenerational trip. My parents are both disabled (one on oxygen and one with back issues).

You have helped me sort out some of our issues. My parents already have one scooter at home.

I might be back with more questions though.

This board has been an outstanding source of information for the cruise DH and I took in 2013 and the one we are taking this May. So I am glad to pass on any information I can. I'm also working on a video for the Triaxe I finally bought, to show what I wished someone else had shown when I was shopping. lol

This board has been an outstanding source of information for the cruise DH and I took in 2013 and the one we are taking this May. So I am glad to pass on any information I can. I'm also working on a video for the Triaxe I finally bought, to show what I wished someone else had shown when I was shopping. lol

For anyone considering the Triaxe Sport the following video's already exist :

Published June 2016

Published October 2016

Published May 2016

Additionally the Triaxe Sport is classified as a "Recreational Scooter" not a medical device. Meaning insurance and or Medicare will not assist in the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

My DH has a 3 wheel Pride Go Go that breaks down into four parts (base, seat, battery pack, and back wheels.) I recommend the 3 wheel over the 4 wheel as the 3 has a great turning radius and is perfectly stable.

The base is the hardest part to carry by myself but I can lift it out of the car. The back wheels and the battery pack are heavy but not too bad to lift out. I wouldn't be able to carry any of the pieces very far. if we need a taxi, the taxi driver lifts the parts out of the trunk. We put it back together immediately, at curbside. My DH then drives it right to the airplane door and the airplane crew carries it into the hold. Once on board the ship, we keep it together the whole time. We don't need special batteries. The planes are only concerned about "wet" batteries, but none of the new scooters use wet batteries. The dry cell type battery is not a problem. We have flown with the scooter numerous times all around the US and to Europe several times without difficultly.

I'm planning a Carribbean Cruise on NCL.. Is anyone aware if the are ports of call where you can rent mobility scooters for a day or half day? I'm going to be in a studio cabin so I won't be able to bring one on board with me? TIA.

Bill T

I'm planning a Carribbean Cruise on NCL.. Is anyone aware if the are ports of call where you can rent mobility scooters for a day or half day? I'm going to be in a studio cabin so I won't be able to bring one on board with me? TIA.

Bill T

Cozumel offered scooter rentals near the taxi stand

Sent from my iPad using Forums