Accessible transport to Era helicopters in Juneau

nikki070103

Hi everyone. We are travelling with my parents on Explorer of the Seas on 30th June. I have found Era helicopters that can take us all including my Dad who is in a wheelchair to the Taku glacier whilst we are in Juneau.

Seeing as it's not an official RCI shoretour will they help me find transport to the airport where the helicopters leave from or can anybody suggest a company. He can transfer to a car seat but his wheelchair will need to be taken as well.

From what I have read the wheelchair accessible taxis are not reliable and I would hate to miss our flight.

Also does anybody have any knowledge of how long it takes to disembark in Juneau. Trying to work out the best flight time for our tour.

Thank you

There are three wheelchair accessible taxis in Juneau. If you want to make certain one is available, make a reservation for with that taxi.

We went to Mendenhall last year and were planning to take one of the accessible taxis. I contacted each one and was told no need to make a reservation. However, when we got there, all three of these taxis (which are owned by the drivers) had taken the day off. The taxi companies all said this was unusual, but the only way to be absolutely certain it doesn't happen is to make a reservation with a specific taxi.

All of the taxis which came to the port were full size vans. I talked to one of the drivers who was most helpful and he called a lady who drove a minivan taxi. Our family member can transfer also (but not walk and cannot get into a full size van). She put the wheelchair in the back of the minivan where the hatchback is and it fit perfectly (manual wheelchair). We asked her to come back in two hours and she did. So this may be an option too, but I would make a reservation to ensure she was available (or someone else with a minivan taxi) if you can't get the accessible taxi

Here is information I saved from other posts in this forum:

Juneau Taxi & Tours (907) 790-4511 has a van with a wheelchair ramp.

"Care-a-Van," operated by Southeast Alaska Senior Services and primarily used by locals, is available to visitors with special transport needs. Vans are equipped with wheelchair lifts. Twenty-four hour advance reservations are recommended. Call 907-463-6194 / TDD 586-6234.

What we plan is to rent a car from Juneau Car Rental http://www.juneaucarrentals.com/, also recommended by members here. I will be using a folding scooter that will fit in any trunk or hatch (or even a standard back seat in a pinch, although DH complains bitterly about the hassle of wiggling it in past seat belts) but I bet they have something that can accommodate a manual wheelchair. (or even a scooter or power wheelchair if someone in the party can deal with disassembling and reassembling it). I felt that since we don't know how long we will want to spend at Mendenhall, the convenience of having our own transportation would outweight the slightly higher expense and the ease of having someone else (who knows the area) drive.